Quake champions

V F

V F

Soldato
Got to say, I trust your feedback more than most (along.with Rroff). Seems to me that they haven't really moved on from when I was playing it last.

One of my main problems with QC is that they have tried to keep everyone happy - bottom line is quake is a get better or quit game. That includes netcode. Either you have a decent connection or you dont. If you dont, then adapt or upgrade. Jeez I learned to play Q3 with 280 ping @ 15fps. Gamers these days just dont have the will and want it all handed to them on a plate.

I feel that in trying to be accessible they have lost their way in terms of the spirit of quake. They have lost the thread of what makes quake quake.

Or is it just me?

The game is still fun but there is definitely a lot of inconsistent strange issues with the netcode/lag compensation.

I've been in a lot of streams with custom parties and it has been the best of fun and laughs when rails/rockets all clicks. The game is getting there but it's baby steps sadly. Today versus closed beta it has been big improvements. Still not great yet compared to the feel of Quake 3. However, some eerie Quake sounds are coming back into the game giving that Quake ambience atmosphere like Quake 3.

As for abilities, they are fun and work quite well with the game apart from two. Doomguy with his lame double jumping and berserker button simply shouldn't be in the game.
Strogg is another cheesy one with that stupid drone that people fly into others for cheap kills.

Apart from that, Ranger is hella fun if you can throw Dire Orbs into peoples faces or getting disintegrators. Visor is good fun and especially Slash is such a blast. There is still a core Quake feel hidden deep down in the game as it keeps bringing me back.

A lot of great movements to learn.

Still no raw mouse input for Quake Champions yet due to them trying to fix the input lag problems with it. They said it will be coming once they've worked it out.

After a year I haven't given up yet. I did purchase Quake Live and the Quake Quakecon bundle last August on Steam even though I have them in boxes/CDs.

It's great running about on the training maps again relearning old muscle memories and playing against the Quake 3 Nightmare bots and transferring it to Quake Champions.

There was an American twitch stream a few nights ago inviting people to learn. It was fun on this map learning the timings again.

Stop trying to tempt me back. I managed to shake my 6 hour a day habit after Q2 and Q3.

Do it, you know you want to.

http://steamcharts.com/app/611500

Last edited:
Soldato
Stop trying to tempt me back. I managed to shake my 6 hour a day habit after Q2 and Q3.

This just like going back to the early 2000s all over again. When you loaded up your ISDN connection after finishing work and next thing you know it's 12pm lol

Soldato
Are there aimbots out for this already??? Just had a match where one dude (opposite team) ONLY used the lightning gun but had 90% accuracy. His aim was beyond unrealistic. Spinning instantly around and his aim would not break from you. Seemed a little too good to be honest.

Soldato
Are there aimbots out for this already??? Just had a match where one dude (opposite team) ONLY used the lightning gun but had 90% accuracy. His aim was beyond unrealistic. Spinning instantly around and his aim would not break from you. Seemed a little too good to be honest.
With it being free I can see some cheaters making 10 accounts just so when one gets banned they move on to the next.

Soldato

Probably - although whilst 90pc LG is unusual, it is possible. Could have been having a stonking match. But what you describe does sound bot like.

Seem to remember from early beta that bots were about.

Most games on PC are hacked at beta. One of the reasons I walked away from PC gaming for FPS. Sad, but hack sites are a multi million dollar industry these days. $35 a month subscription and all the hacks you can eat.

Really muddies the water and sadly also casts doubts on legit players who are just really good, so everyone loses. Creates a really toxic environment - anyone half decent is suspected of hacking :(

Soldato
Probably - although whilst 90pc LG is unusual, it is possible. Could have been having a stonking match. But what you describe does sound bot like.

Seem to remember from early beta that bots were about.

Most games on PC are hacked at beta. One of the reasons I walked away from PC gaming for FPS. Sad, but hack sites are a multi million dollar industry these days. $35 a month subscription and all the hacks you can eat.

Really muddies the water and sadly also casts doubts on legit players who are just really good, so everyone loses. Creates a really toxic environment - anyone half decent is suspected of hacking :(

Aye, tis a shame. And agree on the legit guys, I was matched with a guy who was AMAZING with the rocket launcher, but was getting grief for hacking. It was clear he wasn't and was just epic at timing rockets.

Soldato
I downloaded this earlier to give it a try again
Still seems broken :(

At first vs bots it was really laggy but once I selected regions & setup video options & capped FPS it seemed a bit better
I tried a few matches on TDM & it seemed ok
Would imagine duels could be ok

Any FFA mode just seems frustrating (even instagib), there's almost always someone who is unhitable from lag or stuttering around as if they are on low fps :(
It's like the way the lag compensation works actually gives the highest ping person an advantage :(

Still think having differing abilities/hitboxes/movement in quake ruins the game (not a level playing field)

I was getting into it for the first hour or so but that was mainly because I didn't experience many bugs (once the FPS was capped & stable).
Could see a lot of old quake players buying the champion pack after playing for 30mins or so & then get annoyed once they get into FFA.

I left the menu music on & all the loading screens / music etc remind me of Unreal Tournament.

Seems like a lot of old players are playing it solely on private invite games due to the lag compensation.

A lot of design choices in the game seem to have been made by people who have never played quake, quake2 or quake3 @ any competitive level :(

Soldato
well, finally played the full game last night after the 14.5 GB update. WOW, taken me back to quake, absolutely loved it and won all 5 matches i was involved in - team battles. had loads of frags too. i was laughing and getting well into it. had to explain to my missus about me playing it 28 yrs previous, but love it.

anyone know if support for game pads will come out, not a fan of mouse/keyboard these days.

Soldato
Ooh is this still available at all? I thought I was sent one for free but have had to be slumming it on the non champions pack version instead :(

Sorry buddy, I actually gave it to my bro. He installed it and said he won't play it again, if you want you can have the login details and take over the account if you want?

Back
Top Bottom