Quake II RTX

Man of Honour
Now that I have my 3080 and I have Quake 2 on Steam. Can i use TrenchBroom2 to make a map for Quake 2 RTX AND play with it? or are there limitations?

Yes you can - though there are some techniques to get up to speed on such as the use of analytical light sources (including the sky) versus non-analytical sources to avoid noise issues, etc.

@Rroff I see you've managed to get hold of a 3070. :)

Seeing as your 1070 is/was similar in performance to a 980Ti, how are you finding the boost in performance? Pleased with it?

Ta.

Overall pleased with it - in most games it at least doubles the frame rate through to about 3.5x quicker, in Quake 2 RTX it is 6-10x faster depending on resolution and settings, etc. if I had a newer CPU it would probably be a little quicker again. I'm not inspired by only having 8GB VRAM though so not sure how long before that is a consideration.

Last edited:
Soldato
No - for several reasons I think the renderer is optimised for thick glass (due to the age and geometry limits of the engine the original levels have like 8 inch thick windows) but I need to play around a bit more with it.

EDIT: Also got a screwed up alpha channel on one of the stages - not sure what happened there.

EDIT2: Was mostly due to a screwed up alpha channel - the shader needs some other adjustments as well as the distortion is a bit high I think but I'm just messing about at this point to see how stuff works:

X7WJ1Of.png

Damn, I thought that was a real photo until I saw the gun :D

What fps does that run moving around or is it a static image? ~5fps I imagine if moving

Man of Honour
Damn, I thought that was a real photo until I saw the gun :D

What fps does that run moving around or is it a static image? ~5fps I imagine if moving

My GTX1070 would have been like 5 FPS - my GTX3070FE does ~40-45 FPS with highest quality settings at 1440p - with resolution scaling and a minor quality drop can get 60-70 FPS. And that is without any DLSS which would push it up a lot.

Man of Honour
Photo mode so a bit higher quality than when playing and still some noise in the image

bU4l55M.jpg

Can't wait til games are actually using proper implementations of this tech (and done by someone who has actual artistic ability unlike myself).

Soldato
Photo mode so a bit higher quality than when playing and still some noise in the image

bU4l55M.jpg

Can't wait til games are actually using proper implementations of this tech (and done by someone who has actual artistic ability unlike myself).
That looks great! It it possible to walk around in that?
An apartment tech demo would be good, if only to test hardware. Sort of like a new “But can it run Crysis” type thing :)

Caporegime
Overall pleased with it - in most games it at least doubles the frame rate through to about 3.5x quicker, in Quake 2 RTX it is 6-10x faster depending on resolution and settings, etc. if I had a newer CPU it would probably be a little quicker again. I'm not inspired by only having 8GB VRAM though so not sure how long before that is a consideration.

Thx. Yeah, I can understand wanting a bit more than 8GB though I expect the GDDR6x memory bandwidth of the card will take care of that to a certain extent.

I'm thinking of grabbing a new monitor first and then sometime in 2021 purchasing a 3070/80 or 6800/XT. Time will tell.

I may even settle for a 3060Ti/6700XT.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That looks great! It it possible to walk around in that?
An apartment tech demo would be good, if only to test hardware. Sort of like a new “But can it run Crysis” type thing :)

I want to release something but there are some complications - glass in windows tends to add quite a bit of noise into the equation (I'm guessing it wasn't a priority for optimisation as most of the Quake 2 stock maps don't have glass in the windows to the outside) which doesn't look great - I'm still playing around with a lot of this stuff as well at this stage with a lot to still learn.

Thx. Yeah, I can understand wanting a bit more than 8GB though I expect the GDDR6x memory bandwidth of the card will take care of that to a certain extent.

I'm thinking of grabbing a new monitor first and then sometime in 2021 purchasing a 3070/80 or 6800/XT. Time will tell.

I may even settle for a 3060Ti/6700XT.

It is only GDDR6 on the 3070 - I rarely hit more than 6GB max now and often a lot lower but still.

V F

V F

Soldato
Quake Wars was **** though, the maps were too open and jump packs were lame not to mention they did away with the realistic WW2 theme. All they really needed to do was keep updating Enemy Territory and add more maps etc, the 24/7 64 player Market Garden servers were terrific. ET should have had a subscription model like WoW to keep it going long term, it's amazing to think this day and age that they released it for free.

I quite liked it, though it needed more work really, but a lot of people didn't seem to be able to get their head around it and some maps felt unfinished.

I never saw these posts. This was my go to game when it was out. It wasn't crap but sadly at the time it was too complex of a team game for most people back then.

It also hasn't aged well compared to what I once remembered. I remember it being extremely detailed. This was what, 2007?
Sadly I miss games like this. Now it's full of Battle Royale crap.

Man of Honour
It also hasn't aged well compared to what I once remembered. I remember it being extremely detailed. This was what, 2007?

Some of the maps were far more detailed than others - the desert side of Slipgate was largely unfinished - they didn't get enough time to bring a lot of maps up to the intended implementation - the facility at the end was supposed to be much more than what was a fairly abrupt end in a single large room with multiple entrances. I don't know if it was in response to my bitching about it but Outskirts was largely a very unloved feeling map very rough and ready until a couple of designers pulled an all-nighter near release to polish it up and even then it ends quite abruptly - IIRC was originally supposed to transition into a far more built up city environment for the final objective.

I was fortunate with that game playing it from very early on private testing I got to play it how it was meant to be played with a bunch of people who understood it which made for some great games.

Man of Honour
Wasn't some of my better playing as I need to replace my mouse pad and capture is a bit messy as nothing seems to capture Vulkan output in Quake 2 properly except ShadowPlay (and I don't want to install GeForce Experience on this system) but a bit of a laugh with a few gameplay modifiers and AI modded a bit:

Soldato
There was a Major update today...

Hey, everyone! Today we're releasing v1.4.0, featuring added support for final Vulkan Ray Tracing API, and enabling dynamic selection between the pre-existing NVIDIA VKRay and the new Khronos extension backends.

I select play and before it's even loaded it closes. Solid update :D (guess I need some other driver / files for it to work now)

Man of Honour
Be interesting to see performance comparison - unfortunately I've been at work. Probably going to have to update my mod for compatibility as well.

Man of Honour
Doesn't look like there is any performance difference between the two on the same hardware - not sure how the AMD 6000 series stacks up against Ampere though.

Looks like the new temporal upscaling does a reasonable job as well.

Associate
Doesn't look like there is any performance difference between the two on the same hardware - not sure how the AMD 6000 series stacks up against Ampere though.

Looks like the new temporal upscaling does a reasonable job as well.

PC Gamer compared the 6800XT with the RTX 3080 here. Roughly half the average frame rate judging by their article.

Man of Honour
PC Gamer compared the 6800XT with the RTX 3080 here. Roughly half the average frame rate judging by their article.

Looks like 1-2 driver issues though - but probably broadly Turing performance level for proper path tracing, etc.

EDIT: That temporal upscaling seems pretty sweet though - from my quick playing about with it IMO it is probably better than DLSS at least it generally looks sharper than DLSS and gives a good approximation of full resolution.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like 1-2 driver issues though - but probably broadly Turing performance level for proper path tracing, etc.
I expect performance will improve over time.
I would like to see how Vulkan RT performance compares to DXR, although I’m not sure how such a comparison would be made.

Man of Honour
EDIT: That temporal upscaling seems pretty sweet though - from my quick playing about with it IMO it is probably better than DLSS at least it generally looks sharper than DLSS and gives a good approximation of full resolution.

I take that back sort of - while it looks sharper than DLSS especially when you are actually playing - comparison screenshots show a lot less detail being reproduced than DLSS.

Back
Top Bottom