Quest 3 owners etc

thats the worst bit reall when you know, but still get trigged, and start focussing on it a lot more :/

so far im generally impressed witht he Q3, still heavier than i though but smaller and better storage option on base model. Passhrough is super cool, can watch a video and see whata round if i want. i just need to try it in anger now
It is the worst and the more I use it the more it triggers me.
Anyway just ordered Pimax Crystal with delivery tonight to see how it compares.
Hopefully aspherical lenses are exactly what I’m looking for.
Also looking forward to not seeing any compression and reduced input lag from direct display port connection. :)

It is the worst and the more I use it the more it triggers me.
Anyway just ordered Pimax Crystal with delivery tonight to see how it compares.
Hopefully aspherical lenses are exactly what I’m looking for.
Also looking forward to not seeing any compression and reduced input lag from direct display port connection. :)
Interested to know your thoughts on it and if the promised wifi works yet? Iirc it's supposed to be getting MR capability at some point.

Last edited:
Interested to know your thoughts on it and if the promised wifi works yet? Iirc it's supposed to be getting MR capability at some point.
Will do, it’s out for delivery currently.
Apparently standalone part including WiFi works now and it is possible to sideload steam link onto it.

Last edited:
Is there a guide to the stand alone Quest 3 games? I thought a Quest 3 would be good but then also thought MSFS would be great with VR, but that then goes down a rabbit hole of quite expensive PCs to support VR.
Suddenly a £500 thing is £2,500 and even then the specs to run MSFS in PCVR seem really high.

If I just ran Quest 3 on its own what do I get? I know it won’t have anything like MSFS but (many years ago) I used to like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo etc. Not that keen on Switch type games.

Picked it up last night and had a play today.
It certainly kerb stomps my Rift S into oblivion, and by some margin.
HLA looks a bazillion times better (not looking forward to Jeff again :eek: ), and RE4 looks nothing like how I played it last time (in a good way), also CP2077 through VorpX was impressive.
The head strap will have to go, as I'd much prefer similar to the Rift S, but the one thing that's driving me ******* nuts is the background music/tone in Air Link.
I just can't seem to get rid of it, and it's constant when viewing Youtube etc etc.
Does anyone know how to ditch it?

I don't know if you need the meta app on your phone yet? Maybe. You may be able to still get the referral credit. You'll need to remove any other headsets from your meta app first. Then follow a referral link when activating your new headset. £23 store credit for you and your referrer (happy to DM mine if you don't have a mate you can give it to!).

Then you can spend some of that credit on Walkabout Mini Golf, and join us on Monday evenings (we do play other things, but that's the staple).

I've got a referral link on the app if it'll work with you?

Is there a guide to the stand alone Quest 3 games? I thought a Quest 3 would be good but then also thought MSFS would be great with VR, but that then goes down a rabbit hole of quite expensive PCs to support VR.
Suddenly a £500 thing is £2,500 and even then the specs to run MSFS in PCVR seem really high.

If I just ran Quest 3 on its own what do I get? I know it won’t have anything like MSFS but (many years ago) I used to like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo etc. Not that keen on Switch type games.

You will miss out on some top games such as Half-Life: Alyx but there are loads of great games that you can play with just the Quest 3. You can Google for lists of recommended Q3 games to see what takes your fancy, but don't forget that you can also play a lot of older FPS games in VR on the Q3 using mods.

ah i hadnt realised the Pimax Crystal was standalone. not been keeping up obviously.

well the first question is what do you want VR for and what do you want to get out of it?
Meta have a catalo of games to play, and its easy to store and take away. we ahve a socal group we play games and you an see a list on the 1st page.

in some ways VR is limited and in others its more feture rich.

there are a lot of games on PC like Mr Badger indicates but the main focus is still in the Meta area really / Standalone.

Breachers / Population one / Contractors / Lone Echo / Beat saver / Demeo / Cook-out / Walk about Mini Golf / Space Pirate Trainer / Puzzle Places / i expect you to die are some examples of good VR titles all on Meta Quest (except Lone Echo sadly)

Half-Life: Alyx is the only other titles on PC i can think of that gets a lot of focus.
There are cross play titles if your in to Social.

you can get VRChat / RecRoom / Bigscreen / Horizon for social interactions - Recroom is more user content creation orientated so lots of games and things.

if you get a quest 3 and then get a better PC later or if you have one at the moment you can try wireless streaming from PC to Heatset and it opens up the options for you.

obviously the benifit to a Quest system is that its all self contained and ready to go same day with out much fuss. were as connecting it to PC is a bit more involved, with plent of peple on heare i am sure would be willing to help or advise.

Quest get wise - Headset / Contollers / Charger. (if you get the 512 then you get a free game asguards wrath 2) there are a number of free demos and games which will keep you going for a while as well.

the software / games are very reasonable i'd say developers are getting a kick back for every game sold, its the only way i can think they are mking money.

Ok so I gave the Pimax Crystal a go and it’s back in the box lol.
Let’s start with the good:
No glare whatsoever, zero, none, just bright objects on pure black background.!
Whatever I did or tried I couldn’t see a hint of it.!
Local dimming works quite well giving great contrast however there is some clearly visible blooming.
Colours are much better and saturated than quest while still appearing accurate with natural skin tones etc.
Eye tracking works well and tells you where the sweet spot is and sets the IPD automatically.
Much higher resolution than quest 3.
I had no issues getting it to work and setting it up.

Now the bad:
No matter what I did I couldn’t get both lenses in focus.
Tried auto IPD as well as manual going through the entire range.
The lenses seem to have some weird distortion to them that makes the image wavy like looking through uneven glass, that is probably what is causing me not being able to get both lenses in focus at the same time.
The distortion is slightly different in each lens.
The whole image has a lot of barrel distortion when eyes are not in the sweet spot and even if they are it’s not perfect.
The lenses take a long time to warm up and stop fogging up due to their size and being glass.
There is something off about perceived distance of objects as when I was looking at the floor in half life alyx it looked like I was half my height despite the floor height being correct and I could touch the floor with controllers.
The thing is extremely uncomfortable and the lenses were pushing against my nose the whole time and they have sharp edges.
Both the front face interface as well as the back cushion are very wide so only small areas were in contact with my face and back of the head causing lots of pressure. Headset tracking was a bit wonky.
The controllers are extremely cheaply looking and feeling and tracking isn’t great with some slight drift going on although I didn’t try updating them.
The whole thing feels cheaply made and clanky like some sort of engineering sample.
It was a real pain putting it back in the box lol.

Hey all, I've just ordered a Quest 3 (and silicone facial interface), but I'm not really a gamer. I've seen a couple of language learning apps that I'll try, I'll look into some of the fitness apps available and will also be looking into watching media (Netflix and Plex mainly).

Are there any must-have apps (non-game related) I should check out? Thanks!

Hey all, I've just ordered a Quest 3 (and silicone facial interface), but I'm not really a gamer. I've seen a couple of language learning apps that I'll try, I'll look into some of the fitness apps available and will also be looking into watching media (Netflix and Plex mainly).

Are there any must-have apps (non-game related) I should check out? Thanks!

Les Mills Bodycombat is the best non subscription fitness app.
BigScreen is the best way to watch streaming media as there are no decent dedicated apps for that.
Skybox and 4XVR are the best movie watching apps for streaming from the headset or PC. 4XVR can play the blu-ray 3D format files too, for amazing 3D clarity.

virtual desktop / steamlink (possibly) / bigscreen
are the 2 the come to mind. they are utilities and would allow you to stream from another machine to the hearset wirelessley. opens a lot more apps up to you.

Vrchat / recroom for social engagement. Recroom is more gaming and basic graphics.

sky box for media

non-games in VR in quest sort of arent the main focus really and harder to implement i feel.

oshape / beat saber as fitness apps. (while beat saber is a game the fast paced levels are fun and get you moving)
i had vrbox but they went strange and subsription based back in Q1 days.

Last edited:
It certainly kerb stomps my Rift S into oblivion, and by some margin.
HLA looks a bazillion times better (not looking forward to Jeff again :eek: ), and RE4 looks nothing like how I played it last time (in a good way), also CP2077 through VorpX was impressive.
The head strap will have to go, as I'd much prefer similar to the Rift S, but the one thing that's driving me ******* nuts is the background music/tone in Air Link.
I just can't seem to get rid of it, and it's constant when viewing Youtube etc etc.

I've got a referral link on the app if it'll work with you?

Unfortunately, you're stuck with the music in air link. You can however watch youtube using steam link (free) or virtual desktop (£15)

If you think the music is bad now, it used to be like this.

ow thanks for recomendation will check it out. im still bitter over BoxVR/FitXR bait and switch :mad:

Me too. I was so annoyed when they made that subscription and also made it almost unusable to non subscribers.

Les Mills is, pun intended, BoxVR on steroids. Way better workouts that workout your whole body, with a lot of variety. Best thing for me are the videos and narration of the two trainers who really make it feel like you've got a personal trainer. The hints and tips they give while exercising have really helped improve my technique and get more out of the exercise.

I only recently started playing this again after a long break and though I am a runner and so pretty fit for my age, I felt like I'd been put through a torture device a couple of days later I was so stiff. Muscles were aching I didn't even know I had!

Les Mills is listed as single player on the store, is there any multiplayer aspect to it at all? Can me and the wife “do the same class”? Is there any scores to aim towards?

I’m a weightlifter but would love some aerobic exercise.

Les Mills is listed as single player on the store, is there any multiplayer aspect to it at all? Can me and the wife “do the same class”? Is there any scores to aim towards?

I’m a weightlifter but would love some aerobic exercise.

There are scores and you can compete against online leaderboards.

I suppose you could do the same exercise at the same time and compete for a high score. There is a mixed reality mode now so you could see eachother doing their exercise at the same time, though you would be competing separately.

Back
Top Bottom