Quest 3 owners etc

Before I bite the bullet on a Q3, how are these with PCVR?
I’d probably be using a cable and have the Kiwi ceiling pulleys so it’s not really noticeable, or will it be as good using it untethered via virtual desktop or whatever?
I’d be upgrading from a Rift S & Quest 2.

Wireless has improved tremendously, where for the vast majority of games it works great. If you have a good router - especially a 6E you can get wired quality visuals for most games, with a few tweaks to codecs and bitrates.

Very fast games like racing sims might benefit from a cable but then you're sitting down anyway.

The only game I find exhibits any really noticeable compression for me on wireless is modded Skyrim VR where the foliage can look a bit 'muddy' sometimes.

However the advantage in being absolutely cable free is outweighs all other potential issues.

I have the official Meta link cable. Since I got a 6E router I've never felt the need to use it.

Thanks for that.
My router isn’t 6E as far as I know, but I can get one if required, although I’ll see how I get on with my current one first.
Are you using Air link or VD?

I use Airlink as it works best for me, but I also have Virtual Desktop, and have tried Steam Link.

Also another factor in how good your wireless video will perform is the GPU, with 30 and 40 series Nvidia GPUs performing way better than others, due to the better video encoders.

Also to drive any modern headset you need a decent GPU as the resolution is much higher compared to the Rift S.

I have a 3090 and even that struggles in some VR games at high resolutions.

I've got a 4090, so hopefully I'll be good.
I'm going to try and sneak out of work later and pick one up and see if the hype is real :D
Quite looking forward to playing through HLA for the millionth time.

I'm going to try and sneak out of work later and pick one up and see if the hype is real :D

I don't know if you need the meta app on your phone yet? Maybe. You may be able to still get the referral credit. You'll need to remove any other headsets from your meta app first. Then follow a referral link when activating your new headset. £23 store credit for you and your referrer (happy to DM mine if you don't have a mate you can give it to!).

Then you can spend some of that credit on Walkabout Mini Golf, and join us on Monday evenings (we do play other things, but that's the staple).

For those who say they can’t see glare from Quest 3 pancake lenses here is a video that I just recorded with my phone.
As you can see the whole lens lights up with this horrible blue fog.
All 5 units I had suffered from it with this one being probably the worst.
It straight up kills the experience for me.
This is obviously the worst case scenario as I’m displaying white object in black environment.

you will be good to with a RTX4090 - thats what i have - i use virtual desktop and see no compression issues - i have a bog standard sky router - i have split the bands so the quest uses the 5ghz band only - also you should connect your pc to the router through an ethernet cable for best results

I've never saw, or noticed, that flaring, so not an issue for me at all.

What I have noticed is that compared to the Q2, I am not constantly reminded of the optical limitations of the tech such as needing to adjust the headset or turning my head instead of moving my eyes to keep in the sweet spot, which greatly helps the immersion.

After a couple of hrs I do start to notice face pressure, but that was at least as bad on the Q2, and might have been worse.

Last edited:
I've never saw, or noticed, that flaring, so not an issue for me at all.

What I have noticed is that compared to the Q2, I am not constantly reminded of the optical limitations of the tech such as needing to adjust the headset or turning my head instead of moving my eyes to keep in the sweet spot, which greatly helps the immersion.

After a couple of hrs I do start to notice face pressure, but that was at least as bad on the Q2, and might have been worse.

Do you use it with glasses or prescription inserts.?
When recording that video I noticed that the glare spot reduces as I’m moving the camera away from the lens.

Picked up a quest 3 yesterday. Wow tech is amazing but it's making me feel sick and after I take it off the real world seems odd.

Like my hands are too close to my face.

This is going to take some getting used to.

Picked up a quest 3 yesterday. Wow tech is amazing but it's making me feel sick and after I take it off the real world seems odd.

Play in short blast to begin with. You'll get used to it.

Don't try and play through any nausea.

Nausea as advised, stop as soon as you feel sick. Don't try driving/flying sims yet, don't do rollercoasters either. Try and stick with stationary experiences at first, where your movements are directly reflected (demeo, eleven table tennis, beat saber), also try games with teleportation movement. If you need glasses in every day life, you might need them for VR too.

As for disassociation, it's normal enough, usually stops in the first week or two as your brain works out the differences.

For those who say they can’t see glare from Quest 3 pancake lenses here is a video that I just recorded with my phone.
As you can see the whole lens lights up with this horrible blue fog.
All 5 units I had suffered from it with this one being probably the worst.
It straight up kills the experience for me.
This is obviously the worst case scenario as I’m displaying white object in black environment.

All VR headset lenses have issues. Rift CV1 and Index have awful glare. PSVR2 and HP Reverb G2 have tiny sweet spots.
Quest Pro has brown glow and in some headsets a distorted ring around the edges. Bigscreen Beyond has a tiny sweet spot and glare. Even the Apple Vision Pro has glare and chromatic aberration, as well as coloured glow.

Quest Pro are probably the best I've seen. Q3 does have a tiny bit of glare for me, but Pros seem to be clearer, plus the local dimming can minimise lens glow.

All VR headset lenses have issues. Rift CV1 and Index have awful glare. PSVR2 and HP Reverb G2 have tiny sweet spots.
Quest Pro has brown glow and in some headsets a distorted ring around the edges. Bigscreen Beyond has a tiny sweet spot and glare. Even the Apple Vision Pro has glare and chromatic aberration, as well as coloured glow.

Quest Pro are probably the best I've seen. Q3 does have a tiny bit of glare for me, but Pros seem to be clearer, plus the local dimming can minimise lens glow.
I know all lenses have issues but for some reason glare on Quest 3 seems to trigger me more than any headset I tried before.
I might give crystal or aero a go as those are using aspherical lenses.
Those apparently suffer from distortion when you don’t keep your eyes in the sweet spot but I can probably deal with that.

thats the worst bit reall when you know, but still get trigged, and start focussing on it a lot more :/

so far im generally impressed witht he Q3, still heavier than i though but smaller and better storage option on base model. Passhrough is super cool, can watch a video and see whata round if i want. i just need to try it in anger now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom