Quest 3 owners etc

Associate
Just bought a Quest 3 from Very - can I / anyone here benefit from a referral? I don't have a Meta account set up for it (haven't turned it on yet) although I did have an account with my Rift way back when.

Associate
Just bought a Quest 3 from Very - can I / anyone here benefit from a referral? I don't have a Meta account set up for it (haven't turned it on yet) although I did have an account with my Rift way back when.
I've just pm'd u a device referral, if u use it when u activate your quest 3 we both get £23 store credit :)

Soldato
Ah, I have top cashback as well, missed a trick there! I have a number of mates with a Quest already so they have hooked me up with a referral code, will get some for the games as well - its a great little system they have going on.

I have a Wifi 6 router, I think I get about 250Mbps in the living room where I would play - would this be enough for PCVR streaming or would that really choke it? The PC is hard wired into the router

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered the Quest 3 and looking for a USB cable for the PC to connect direct.

Does something like this (10ft) seem to be decent enough, assuming that length will be reasonable....

anything more elaborate (probably expensive) that justifies paying more..?

Thanks

That cable will do the job perfectly. I only got the official cable as it was a half price deal when I got the Q2 from currys. No way is it worth the full price

Soldato
That cable will do the job perfectly. I only got the official cable as it was a half price deal when I got the Q2 from currys. No way is it worth the full price

Thanks, That's good to know.

Don't think that it would offer value is spending any more than that.
Cables, can be a most expensive rip off.

Soldato
Thanks, That's good to know.

Don't think that it would offer value is spending any more than that.
Cables, can be a most expensive rip off.
Yes, you'll see second hand official cables on ebay and they're all knotted up. Which is unfortunate as they're fiber optic, so you know you're going to be getting less bandwidth from the damage.

Soldato
Just ordered the Quest 3 and looking for a USB cable for the PC to connect direct.

Does something like this (10ft) seem to be decent enough, assuming that length will be reasonable....

anything more elaborate (probably expensive) that justifies paying more..?

Thanks
That cable will work but i find that a right angle cable going into the Quest 3 puts far less strain on the port and cable.
The offical cable uses a right angle connector for this reason. Any right angle cable will do

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, you'll see second hand official cables on ebay and they're all knotted up. Which is unfortunate as they're fiber optic, so you know you're going to be getting less bandwidth from the damage.

That cable will work but i find that a right angle cable going into the Quest 3 puts far less strain on the port and cable.

Thanks, that could add to....

Over at hotdeals someone suggested that I would need a longer cable if used as a link, which I intend it for. The PC would be right next to where we would be placed. Do you see merit in that..?

Also the right angle connection being preferred.

So I'm guessing around a 5m with a right angled connection.

If so, any ideas..?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Thanks, that could add to....

Over at hotdeals someone suggested that I would need a longer cable if used as a link, which I intend it for. The PC would be right next to where we would be placed. Do you see merit in that..?

Also the right angle connection being preferred.

So I'm guessing around a 5m with a right angled connection.

If so, any ideas..?

Thanks

If you're using it for Sims, that's absolutely fine, if you plan on doing more active things, it may be a little on the short side, but I'd strongly recommend using wireless for more active games anyway, so you can have proper freedom.

Soldato
If you're using it for Sims, that's absolutely fine, if you plan on doing more active things, it may be a little on the short side, but I'd strongly recommend using wireless for more active games anyway, so you can have proper freedom.

Thanks, my Asus AX88U supports WiFi 6 and should be reasonable enough to use then as a wireless device. With that cable, perhaps as backup / alternative options. But one wit ha right angled connector as it exits the headset.
I'm guessing that wireless or wired the bandwidth offered will display a similar experience..?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks, my Asus AX88U supports WiFi 6 and should be reasonable enough to use then as a wireless device. With that cable, perhaps as backup / alternative options. But one wit ha right angled connector as it exits the headset.
I'm guessing that wireless or wired the bandwidth offered will display a similar experience..?

Wireless needs to be tweaked a bit more I believe, but you can get similar results with it.

Soldato
I realise I've posted this in the wrong place, so I'll put it here and hope for some advice. :)

So, if I succumb and buy a quest 3 now (currently owning a Rift S), where do I stand with the VR games I already own?

The games I have on Steam I will retain - but have to play from the PC via Steam Link or cable?
The games I have on Meta - will I keep them and continue using the same account? But would those have to be used via the PC too? Or can they then be installed on the headset?

Presumably, any VR game I might want to play elsewhere (e.g. on holiday), I need to own on Meta and have installed on the headset itself.

Beat Saber - am I better owning on PC so it can be more easily modded? But the game cries out to be played with no wires!

Soldato
I realise I've posted this in the wrong place, so I'll put it here and hope for some advice. :)

So, if I succumb and buy a quest 3 now (currently owning a Rift S), where do I stand with the VR games I already own?

The games I have on Steam I will retain - but have to play from the PC via Steam Link or cable?
The games I have on Meta - will I keep them and continue using the same account? But would those have to be used via the PC too? Or can they then be installed on the headset?

Presumably, any VR game I might want to play elsewhere (e.g. on holiday), I need to own on Meta and have installed on the headset itself.

Beat Saber - am I better owning on PC so it can be more easily modded? But the game cries out to be played with no wires!
Just register it with the same account and you'll keep all the games, you will need oculus app on the pc to play any pc only oculus games but the ones that can be installed on headset don't require it.
Steam link is my preferred connection and I lock the 5ghz network only to my quest pro, everything else uses the 2.4ghz

Back
Top Bottom