Quest 3 owners etc

Associate
Norm from Tested said there's more room for glasses but it was still a pain to get the headset on and off with them, as your glasses got caught on the facial interface. Really I would recommend prescription inserts as they also act as lens protectors.

We don't know about the encoding/compression yet, but I can say with a link cable or a Wifi6E router with the bitrate upped you can get almost display port levels of quality on a Quest Pro. A lot of hardcore simmers went for Quest Pro because the pancake lenses (which Q3 has improved versions of) make things so much clearer, and with a few tweaks compression isn't an issue.

On my Quest Pro I'm now getting wired levels of quality wirelessly with a 6E router. I have no doubt Quest 3 will be better, especially as it's rumoured to have AV1 encoding.

As for games, it'll be a while before we see good standalone games designe specifically for the Q3, but a lot of Quest 2 games are now being remastered for Q3. With some games it makes a huge difference, but how good they will be depends on the effort the developer wants to put in.

I'm really hoping they port Lone Echo 1 & 2. Those would be an astounding thing to have standalone.
May I ask what router you are using?

Soldato
Ironically most of the other tp-link routers are awful, but this one is recommended as being one of the best budget 6E routers for airlink/virtual desktop.

Soldato
Hi
Do you need to go full wireless 6E for your whole home for 6E wireless PCVR? i have an internet supplied router and a mesh wifi 5 system which is perfect for all my home wifi needs....

so i was pondering just getting this, which, if i understand it correctly will be able to act as a 6E hotspot on a totally separate channel from my home wifi..... or does it not work like that?

(i am hoping by extending the antennae i will be able to put the antennae in my games room window and have garden wireless PCVR)

(sorry if i already asked this? i thought i had but cant find it anywhere)

Last edited:
Associate
When I got a Quest 2 I had to just blindly dive in and buy it without testing first, didn't know anyone with one either.

Was a bit of a concern as I have Nystagmus in my eyes, but it worked out ok.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere where headsets are on demo to try on in High St stores, I would think that would be a big pulling factor for any potential or impulsive buyers.

Cant really be a health issue either, as headsets are readily available to play on in amusement arcades.

I hope this might change with the 3 and I can at least try one out at a C**** strore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi
Do you need to go full wireless 6E for your whole home for 6E wireless PCVR? i have an internet supplied router and a mesh wifi 5 system which is perfect for all my home wifi needs....

so i was pondering just getting this, which, if i understand it correctly will be able to act as a 6E hotspot on a totally separate channel from my home wifi..... or does it not work like that?

(i am hoping by extending the antennae i will be able to put the antennae in my games room window and have garden wireless PCVR)

(sorry if i already asked this? i thought i had but cant find it anywhere)

You can just add it to your network as an access point by plugging it into your existing router and even turn off the other channels on the router and just use 6E.

6E does have a shorter range though than 5Ghz or Wifi6. It's basically line of sight.

Associate
Just been thinking, i've stated i've never played much standalone and never went anywhere near filling my Quest 2's 64GB, so was happy buying the 128GB Quest 3. But will that change with the Q3's much improved GPU/CPU meaning the standalone games will be better. Hmm.

Soldato
OP
Some Q3's have been shipped early by mistake. You can activate and use them too.

Someone has suggested on reddit that the t&cs of pre-order AW2 bonus won't work if you already activated the headset before the 10th. Though that sounds like something you can overcome by just contacting meta support.

Soldato
Just been thinking, i've stated i've never played much standalone and never went anywhere near filling my Quest 2's 64GB, so was happy buying the 128GB Quest 3. But will that change with the Q3's much improved GPU/CPU meaning the standalone games will be better. Hmm.

Likely. Red Matter 2 uses 60% more space.

Soldato

Did you see The Walking Dead comparisons between the Quest 2 and Quest 3? That difference will grow as developers get more time with the Quest 3.

Soldato
Did you see The Walking Dead comparisons between the Quest 2 and Quest 3? That difference will grow as developers get more time with the Quest 3.

Apparently the textures are still pretty awful, but you're right in that developers will get better over time. Look at the quality of some Quest 2 games now.

Associate
Yeh the Q3 graphics looked much improved over the Q2's, closer to the PCVR version than the Q2's standalone version (imo).

Soldato
I thought I saw a youtube channel discussing this and it was revealed that the Quest 2 version was 'simulated'..

Not that I think it completely undermines the Quest 3's ability, more that when differences are crazily huge, then it'd be good to get a proper comparison of final hardware/software..

Back
Top Bottom