Quest 3 owners etc

Soldato
OP
I want to get one, but I have a Quest Pro which still has some advantages over the Q3, despite being less powerful. I'm still awaiting to see how different the two are in PCVR.
If you add up the cost of the 512gb version plus an elite strap plus a charging dock you're approaching Pro costs and you still don't have the Pro controllers.

If the base version had 256gb I'd probably go for one. The price of the 512gb is putting me off, even with the various discounts you can do.

I guess I'll be waiting for the full Tested review as Norm does a really thorough job and knows his stuff.

Have to say, if I had a pro I'd probably hold off too.

Soldato
It really depends on how much better the enhanced standalone content for Q3 is. I do play a lot of standalone as well as PCVR. I guess it'll take a while for really decent upgrades to come out.

Associate
That makes two of us, well not buying yet anyway. With Meta's history of dropping prices eg the pro, and all the hype around the launch of the quest 3, its obvious they are going to get as much lolly as they can get.

It is mean in my opinion not to have the base unit storage at 256GB (but then Meta has spent billions on VR research so maybe can't blame them for keeping the launch price high) With 256gb storage on the base unit, I would have considered that ok at £479.

Even with the £479 price if I was to buy at that, with a decent strap and a powerbank plus accidental damage and breakdown from that well known High St store I would be talking about an overall price of around £600.

To be honest I could afford it, but do like to feel I am spending my money wisely.

I am looking forward to the reviews on here when posters do get the headset, I understand its not a light headset, same weight as Quest 2 only with a better centre of gravity as its thinner.

With more competition on the way maybe with the Pico 5, no doubt there will be special offers on the way, later on with the quest 3.

I am not trying to be a party spoiler on here, so the best of luck to you guys who do buy at launch, I will no doubt read with interest all your reviews, and maybe ask a few questions.

In the meantime I will travel merrily along in the slow lane with my Quest 2.

:)
Agree with all your points. For me personally I bought a Pico 4 ages ago, loved it except for nausea from bad QC, so was primed for Quest 3.

Associate
No got the 128gb model with the elite strap. Totally order value is £550 so not sure what that counts as?

If your order value was over £500 it takes a few days for your order confirmation to come through with the £100 discount applied.

I ordered Friday morning and just got confirmation today.

Soldato
I keep having to remind myself that I barely use the Quest 2 these days, and therefore really don't need a Q3. But... new shiny.

If Q2 accessories were forward- compatible, I would probably cave. There's probably another £150-£200 to spend on accessories on top of the headset.

Last edited:
Associate
I wonder if it will have a developer account and the ability to turn the boundary off?

Yep I would think that is a must have. I have tonnes of sideloaded stuff on the 2 with Sidequest, and as I don't really play any jumping about stuff, mainly sitting down I have disabled the boundary too.
Only thing with the 2 is I can't seem to find a quick way to get back into unknown sources once I leave it, it takes the usual number of clicks again.
I would imagine that the 3 will ship with more or less the same GUI that we currently have on the 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
I keep having to remind myself that I barely use the Quest 2 these days, and therefore really don't need a Q3. But... new shiny.

If Q2 accessories were forward- compatible, I would probably cave. There's probably another £150-£200 to spend on accessories on top of the headset.

Yep, as I pointed out you're approaching Quest Pro prices if you get all the accessories that make it roughly equivalent to the Pro - decent headstrap with battery on the back, docking station, pro controllers. So the base price is a bit of a red herring.

I still want one though, just for the upgraded native apps.

Soldato
my view (bear in mind as someone who has not tried a Q3 ) but my view is that the Q3 looks a fantastic upgrade over the Q2.

if anyone has any interest in VR, the Q3 looks a no brainer for a 1st VR device, as well as a significant update for quest 2 or any earlier Oculus headsets, or gen 1 PCVR headsets.

but for me with a quest pro, overall i dont think i have buyers remorse (albeit i got for a good price)... and whilst i will without doubt get some standalone envy off Q3 owners for a while, i think as a pro owner the Q3 looks like a very skippable generation.

my hope is going forward there WILL be a pro 2, but i am hoping that will possibly launch either at the same time as, or a little before the quest 4 but with the quest 4 chip in there, meaning that in the next generation it will be far easier, with a mainstream and a high end meta device, ultimately both on the same base platform but one which is either equivalent or better in every single way, but costs more, and one which is still really good, but at that important sub £500 price.

the error in the quest pro imo was not that it launched being a souped up quest 2, but that it launched as a souped up quest 2, when the quest 2 was already in the autumn period of its generation.

Soldato
the error in the quest pro imo was not that it launched being a souped up quest 2, but that it launched as a souped up quest 2, when the quest 2 was already in the autumn period of its generation.

The Pro was delayed a year, probably due to Covid. If it'd come out as planned then it would have made a bigger splash.

Zuckerberg has said that the Pro's processor was actually more expensive than the Q3's, which wasn't available when they developed it.

Presumably technical issues made it impossible to switch to the Q3 processor when that became available. What I really can't forgive Meta for is removing the depth sensor from the Pro, as it's an absolutely rotten experience trying to set up a room for MR without one.

Really the only thing that interests me for Q3 are the enhanced apps due to the faster SOC and better MR due to the depth sensor. Otherwise I'm very happy with my Pro.

Soldato
indeed, there is a lot to love about the quest pro, and, if there is a quest pro 2 i hope they do not go too mad trying to reinvent the wheel.

the over all design i am delighted with, and i would happily accept the same form factor for a next headset, just add in the depth sensor and maybe supply an optional full light blocker (though in fairness i dont think i will bother upgrading the ones which came with mine).

but everything about the quest pro is really well considered, so keep the controllers exactly as is, keep the form factor as is along with eye tracking (albeit if they could add a few degrees to the fov then great), up the resolution of the screens a little bit, double (or quadruple) the storage and put a Q4 chip in there and bob is your mothers brother...... simples right? (of course not but you get my drift, the Quest pro is generally a superb hmd so hopefully the design of the next one will be cheaper)

but i digress so will bug out now

Last edited:
Associate
Looking forward to reviews. Would like to know if there's more room than the Q2 for glasses wearers, although I'd get myself prescription lens when I'm using it.
Also interested in encoding/compression for wired PCVR sim usage to see if it's close to direct displayport quality.
Lastly would really need a good standalone game as good as RE4 or Red Matter 2 for example to help justify the purchase. Currently using Q2 regually but only for Walkabout Golf.

Soldato
Looking forward to reviews. Would like to know if there's more room than the Q2 for glasses wearers, although I'd get myself prescription lens when I'm using it.
Also interested in encoding/compression for wired PCVR sim usage to see if it's close to direct displayport quality.
Lastly would really need a good standalone game as good as RE4 or Red Matter 2 for example to help justify the purchase. Currently using Q2 regually but only for Walkabout Golf.

Norm from Tested said there's more room for glasses but it was still a pain to get the headset on and off with them, as your glasses got caught on the facial interface. Really I would recommend prescription inserts as they also act as lens protectors.

We don't know about the encoding/compression yet, but I can say with a link cable or a Wifi6E router with the bitrate upped you can get almost display port levels of quality on a Quest Pro. A lot of hardcore simmers went for Quest Pro because the pancake lenses (which Q3 has improved versions of) make things so much clearer, and with a few tweaks compression isn't an issue.

On my Quest Pro I'm now getting wired levels of quality wirelessly with a 6E router. I have no doubt Quest 3 will be better, especially as it's rumoured to have AV1 encoding.

As for games, it'll be a while before we see good standalone games designe specifically for the Q3, but a lot of Quest 2 games are now being remastered for Q3. With some games it makes a huge difference, but how good they will be depends on the effort the developer wants to put in.

I'm really hoping they port Lone Echo 1 & 2. Those would be an astounding thing to have standalone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom