Quest 3 owners etc

Finally decided to pull the trigger on this tonight. Coming from original rift. Any pointers? The old oculus software still what’s needed? What’s this thing about a referral code before I activate it? Any other settings to fiddle with for my first impressions? A way to test for dead pixels/uniformity? Any advice would be appreciated
I'll answer u in order of your questions :

Did you atleast somewhat enjoy your old rift? If u did, you're going to really like the Quest 3.
Yes you need the Oculus Home software on your pc for pcvr gaming via link cable or Airlink (wifi), for standalone gaming it's not needed.

About the referral code, basically use them by clicking on it (enter it into the website address box or google search or just click it) just before you setup your new Quest 3 and u and the other person both get £23 meta store credit. I've tried to PM u my referral code as we're not allowed to openly swap them on here (bit of a daft rule imo) but i can't PM u, i don't think u have enough posts yet. Just google "meta device referral code uk" which should give u some codes u can try out. You can use game referral codes for 25% off games too.

Whether u can fiddle with things like resolution etc for pcvr, depends on your pc specs (if your cpu and especially your gpu is good enough). For standalone, u can use a $10 app called Quest Games Optimizer to increase the resolution, but maybe leave that till you're used to your Q3 a bit, till u know your way around it.

For dead pixel test, browse to this website in your Q3's web browser : https://www.immersha.com/webvr/vr-pixel-test.html it basically fills your screen with a solid colour so u can hopefully see dead pixels.

Other advice I would give is just enjoy it. Look at some mixed reality apps like Thrill of the Fight (cheap), Miracle Pool (free) etc. There's also a VR social gaming thread on here if u want to try out some multiplayer with some other VR enthusiasts. If u want to do pcvr via link cable, imo the official meta link cable is over priced and unecessary (iirc £79), any decent brand 3 or 5m usb 3.0 or better cable will work ok, i use an Anker cable from Amazon, cost £20 iirc. You may want to consider aftermarket headstraps, powerbanks/battery packs, facial interfaces, etc. I'd say use it 1st before buying accessories, see what you think.

Last edited:
Finally decided to pull the trigger on this tonight. Coming from original rift. Any pointers? The old oculus software still what’s needed? What’s this thing about a referral code before I activate it? Any other settings to fiddle with for my first impressions? A way to test for dead pixels/uniformity? Any advice would be appreciated

Looks like your conversations aren’t enabled mate. Set that up and I’ll ping you a referral code. It gives both you and me £23 each to spend on the Oculus store.

People can refer you to games they’ve purchased too, which gives them an additional £4 store credit, and you 25% off.

Just got all set up very impressed with the pass through as I was setting up! I mean quality not brilliant but I could still make out the world!

Did you play the First Encounters game/tech demo that comes with the Quest 3? If not, go play it. It's a glimpse into what's possible with MR.

Did you play the First Encounters game/tech demo that comes with the Quest 3? If not, go play it. It's a glimpse into what's possible with MR.
It really does help you realise what is doable, with things interacting with furniture etc. You also realise that you don't pay that much attention to the surroundings as opposed to the game.

After a bit of play, I'm really not sure the pass through quality is 'right'. I'll have another look tomorrow but pass through is blurry - I could hardly use it to read my phone... Anyone else feel this?

Yep me and my lad bought one today. Still getting used to it but yes pass through is blurry and even worse I guess when you have to wear specs like me. But the AR games work and in those cases I'm not that bothered about the pass through quality.

Last edited:
After a bit of play, I'm really not sure the pass through quality is 'right'. I'll have another look tomorrow but pass through is blurry - I could hardly use it to read my phone... Anyone else feel this?
Yep me and my lad bought one today. Still getting used to it but yes pass through is blurry and even worse I guess when you have to wear specs like me. But the AR games work and in those cases I'm not that bothered about the pass through quality.

It has been suggested that a factory reset after initial purchase can improve the clarity of the passthrough.

It's normal to not be able to read your phone through passthrough

Reading your phone will depend on lighting, and also the brightness setting on your phone.

For me messages are readable, but I'm not going to try reading and writing emails.

But again, when you're playing in passthrough, your focus is never really on your surroundings.

I find I can pretty much read everything on my phone in passthrough when I bring the phone really close to the headset. And that's weird because I'm longsighted but I guess that doesn't apply in a VR headset.

Last edited:
I too find I can read texts on my phone etc only when it's close to the hmd. As mentioned, lighting makes a big difference to passthrough quality.

Do you reckon we will ever get to the point where we won't have to draw out boundaries and objects with augmented reality and it will be able to identify what things are automatically? Or is that asking a little too much processing power?

Do you reckon we will ever get to the point where we won't have to draw out boundaries and objects with augmented reality and it will be able to identify what things are automatically? Or is that asking a little too much processing power?

eventually yes

Tech is always evolving

eventually will be without wearing anything at all ! and we will "feel and smell" things like we are there, when were not

You can already use it to automatically scan your area if you want for a playspace, but at the same time I still want to be able to setup my own playspace since I don't always want to use the full area.

Back
Top Bottom