Quest 3 owners etc

Anyone any complaints on the quality of compression ? I know the index had better quality than the quest 2 due to compression over cable/wifi. Quest 3 seems to have the same issue or?

depends what game, fast moving stuff like sim racing is quite bad compared to native pcvr headsets. That doesn't mean it's bad overall though. Thing with vr headsets is that you need to look at the overall package.
Where quest 3 is let down by compression, it makes up in other areas. If someone released a headset like the quest3 for pc though, I'd go out and buy one tomorrow.

Anyone any complaints on the quality of compression ? I know the index had better quality than the quest 2 due to compression over cable/wifi. Quest 3 seems to have the same issue or?
have you upped the "Encode Bitrate (Mbps)" in the oculus debug tool if you have a beast of a GPU you can get it to look faultless @ 940 over a link cable all wireless versions look crap for racing sims

Last edited:
On the fence about keeping the Quest 3 or going back to my G2. I only use it for simracing and it's got some issues:

- 120hz doesn't work still via cable and that was a big reason for me going from the G2. I emailed Meta and checked forums. Stock support answer and no real info on if/when it's coming
- No encoding offload to dGPU so no matter how much you crank up the settings, you're going to get aliasing crawl in the image. Very noticeable on high contrast lines and edges. Which make up a ton of car and track surfaces
- Subjectively, the face gasket is uncomfortable for my face. Did about 3hrs continuous driving last night in a race and I can still feel it this morning around the eye socket and forehead
- Got the BoboVR M3 but for my head, the elite strap is better suited. Neither make the face discomfort issue better
- Settings in OTT and Debug tool don't always apply when booting up the HMD. So I have to save and restart the oculus service but there's no pattern in replicating it. You realize something is off when you start driving and then have to close it out, save, restart and start up again

So far the only benefits are better edge to edge clarity and 10 degrees of FoV.

Last edited:
On the fence about keeping the Quest 3 or going back to my G2. I only use it for simracing and it's got some issues:

- 120hz doesn't work still via cable and that was a big reason for me going from the G2. I emailed Meta and checked forums. Stock support answer and no real info on if/when it's coming
- No encoding offload to dGPU so no matter how much you crank up the settings, you're going to get aliasing crawl in the image. Very noticeable on high contrast lines and edges. Which make up a ton of car and track surfaces
- Subjectively, the face gasket is uncomfortable for my face. Did about 3hrs continuous driving last night in a race and I can still feel it this morning around the eye socket and forehead
- Got the BoboVR M3 but for my head, the elite strap is better suited. Neither make the face discomfort issue better
- Settings in OTT and Debug tool don't always apply when booting up the HMD. So I have to save and restart the oculus service but there's no pattern in replicating it. You realize something is off when you start driving and then have to close it out, save, restart and start up again

If you are ONLY using it for simracing then it's a difficult question to answer right now. The quest 3 is brilliant for the standalone/mixed reality stuff, so don't write it off just yet.
Thing is, other than the G2, there's literally nothing out there for £450. If you want a simracing upgrade, you have the bigscreen, crystal, aero, vr1 but they are very expensive, some need base stations, and none of them are without their own issues.

The aubika battery strap and vakdon silicone cover was a game changer in comfort for me.

There's no getting away from compression though. Even with high bitrate from the cable, it's limited to 8bit colour. Change to wireless for 10bit, but then lower bitrate. Nothing compares to a dedicated pcvr headset though....not only does it look much better, it feels so much more smoother/stable.

It's good for the money basically!

Personally, I'm sticking with it and waiting to see what meganex, google/samsung and valve come out with.

Last edited:

The AMVR facial interface makes the Quest 3 wearable. Can be had for as little as £23 with online discount codes.

Have my voucher to use any game recommendations for the quest 3.

Was thinking of a on rail type shooter zombieland or that board game dungeon Demio is it ?

Have my voucher to use any game recommendations for the quest 3.

Was thinking of a on rail type shooter zombieland or that board game dungeon Demio is it ?
What kind of games do you like?
You can refund any you don't like as long as you've not played them more than 2hrs.

If someone else owns a game you're after they can give you a 25% off code that also gives them some store credit, so always ask in here first before buying anything:D

Demeo is really fun. Fair warning - you’re still playing a board game tho, so your neck will start aching from looking down at a board constantly :D

There’s a 3-player dungeon slasher that some of the guys here play, but can’t recall its name or whether Quest native or PCVR-only.

Demeo is really fun. Fair warning - you’re still playing a board game tho, so your neck will start aching from looking down at a board constantly :D

There’s a 3-player dungeon slasher that some of the guys here play, but can’t recall its name or whether Quest native or PCVR-only.
Dungeons of Eternity it's standalone and pcvr.

I have a 25% discount code for being 'new' which I assume I can't stack with any game referrals? Got £25 store credit waiting to go and considering Assassins creed nexus as I've played all major entries (excluding mirage) so don't want to miss out.

Otherwise maybe lego...?

I went to set up a new account for my son onto the Quest 2 this evening. It's been the first time I've gone on it since getting the Quest 3 and Holy Pancake what a difference! Definitely happy with getting it.

I have a 25% discount code for being 'new' which I assume I can't stack with any game referrals? Got £25 store credit waiting to go and considering Assassins creed nexus as I've played all major entries (excluding mirage) so don't want to miss out.

Otherwise maybe lego...?
Afaik u can't use other discounts with referrals.

My neck is already sore from staring at my phone for 5 hours a day

Just seen that the T.W.D. Saints & Sinners graphical updates for the Quest 3 are now live, looks good, not pcvr quality but much better than before.

I ended up buying that one last night before the 25% code ran out. Still have the beat sabre addiction though and my shoulders are sore so pointing that gun in S&S was hard work :) :) Man getting old sucks.

I bought it a while ago but never completed it (found it quite difficult tbh but great game), will revisit it. And yeh getting old...it's rubbish...mostly! I wish i had the brain (not the body) I have now, in my younger self.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPG
Afternoon all,

I dont suppose any of you know where its possible to try on a quest 3 at all? Or does anyone live close to Bedfordshire (Leighton Buzzard)

Long story short, i have a Quest 2, which ive been finding myself really enjoying again recenetly, and would like to upgrade to the 3 purely based on imagine clarity increases alone, but given the cost involved, i only really want to do it if i know the resolution and difference in blur etc. is a noticeable upgrade and worth the cost.

Any feedback in the above would also be welcomed, from users who thought the Q2 was always a bit blurry, or perhaps its time for me to get an eye test done too!

Back
Top Bottom