Quest 3 owners etc

Soldato
Had a quick go on my new Q3, and compared it with my Quest Pro.

I don't think passthrough is hugely better than the Pro, at least not for practical usage. It is definitely better but not orders of magnitude.You can tell theres some extra processing going on, as initially when you look at something it looks blurry then it's sharper a moment later.

The room scanning and the depth sensor make room setup really easy. Wish that sensor hadn't been deleted from the Pro!

The colours are better than I expected. They are a little washed out compared to Quest Pro, but the black levels are about the same as the Pro without local dimming enabled.

The resolution bump in native games is nice. Good to have fairly sharp graphics, though you can tell it's still not native res.

The WiFi seems way quicker - downloaded and installed Asgard's Wrath and a bunch of other games very quickly.

The controllers feel like cheap toys compared to the Pro controllers, but the tracking feels very solid.

Will give it a longer play later as it ran out of charge very quickly. I'm going to need to dig out a power bank for the halo headstrap I bought for it.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a quick go on my new Q3, and compared it with my Quest Pro.

I don't think passthrough is hugely better than the Pro, at least not for practical usage. It is definitely better but not orders of magnitude.You can tell theres some extra processing going on, as initially when you look at something it looks blurry then it's sharper a moment later.

The room scanning and the depth sensor make room setup really easy. Wish that sensor hadn't been deleted from the Pro!

The colours are better than I expected. They are a little washed out compared to Quest Pro, but the black levels are about the same as the Pro without local dimming enabled.

The resolution bump in native games is nice. Good to have fairly sharp graphics, though you can tell it's still not native res.

The WiFi seems way quicker - downloaded and installed Asgard's Wrath and a bunch of other games very quickly.

The controllers feel like cheap toys compared to the Pro controllers, but the tracking feels very solid.

Will give it a longer play later as it ran out of charge very quickly. I'm going to need to dig out a power bank for the halo headstrap I bought for it.
The passthrough with depth perception is quite impressive in apps/games that use it, especially when they use it for dynamic occlusion of virtual objects with the real world. I've spent ages messing around with the passthrough and its features. It's not perfect but in good light is very useable imo. Loving my Quest 3 it's the best headset i've owned.

Last edited:
Soldato
The passthrough with depth perception is quite impressive in apps/games that use it, especially when they use it for dynamic occlusion of virtual objects with the real world. I've spent ages messing around with the passthrough and its features. It's not perfect but in good light is very useable imo. Loving my Quest 3 it's the best headset i've owned.

Yeah I'm looking forward to trying out the extended MR capabilities. It's just the actual passthrough video quality isn't as great a leap above the Pro as many would say. That's not to say it isn't a big improvement, it is, but I guess those coming from a Q2 will be blown away as it is massively better.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I'm looking forward to trying out the extended MR capabilities. It's just the actual passthrough video quality isn't as great a leap above the Pro as many would say. That's not to say it isn't a big improvement, it is, but I guess those coming from a Q2 will be blown away as it is massively better.
Yeh I only have the Q2 passthrough to compare. The dynamic occlusion via Depth API is impressive, not many apps/games have it right now (afaik none on the Meta store have it as Meta deem the feature not yet production ready) but i've been messing with it in Unity, created my own little app/game in MR, been really fun doing it. The occlusion isn't perfect but you can see the potential. It's impressive when there's a virtual object in your view (I'm using a ChatGPT powered NPC) and my dog walks in for example and there's proper occlusion :D

Soldato
I took the Quest 3 with me to the family xmas day and everyone had a go and had fun. I took my chromecast dongle with me and was able to cast to their tv. Couple of times it crashed with no buttons on the controllers or headset responding, but eventually it came back to life. It crashed again later and didn't sort itself out until I got home and then it was fine again. It had been on for a few hours but didn't feel like it had overheated. I guess it must have been to do with being continually used because at home I take breaks.

Soldato
Tried the MR demo and it's super impressive and fun. The room scanning makes setup for these MR apps so much better and having little tribble like critters break through the walls, jump around the room and grab onto walls and objects is amazing.

Probably the most impressive thing I've seen the device do.

I've tried a few enhanced for Q3 apps and the majority aren't really that much better than Q2, apart from the resolution bump. I imagine it'll take time for developers to get used to the device.

I tried a 3D movie, and it was noticeably sharper than the Pro, and the black levels were pretty good too. I don't think the audio is as good as the Pro so some headphones are needed I think for movie watching.

Soldato
I nabbed a second hand meta 2 for myself, but the passthrough is absolute potato. I'll probably take it back and go for a 3, as the passthrough is a real selling point for me.
On that though, is the definition on the meta 3 passthrough good enough to check my watch and phone messages?
Thanks!

Soldato
OP
I nabbed a second hand meta 2 for myself, but the passthrough is absolute potato. I'll probably take it back and go for a 3, as the passthrough is a real selling point for me.
On that though, is the definition on the meta 3 passthrough good enough to check my watch and phone messages?
Thanks!

In good light I can read phone messages. It's not crystal clear, but definitely good enough. Not sure you could read a watch face, would depend on the size of the face I guess.

Soldato
Thanks all.
I think I'll get the meta 3 via the online route from cex so I have the 14 day return option.
That way I can check the passthrough for myself to see if it's good enough for my needs.

Back
Top Bottom