Quiet cpu cooler for Ryzen 7 2700

Associate
OP
I have decided I would prefer to work with the case I have as its the right size and I like it.

I did a CPUID CPU-Z stress test and with the case closed up the CPU got to 64.5deg. With the lid off it was 60.5deg. This was over a half hour time frame

I also did some video rendering. On average my video lengths are max 30 mins which take about 20min to render

EDIT: I looked at the wrong temps. I have adited the second paragraph with the proper temps

Last edited:
Soldato
At what temp does 2700 start throttling? I know Threadripper (2950X & 2990WX) start throttling even in the high 50s, but I don't know when other AMDs' start to throttle.

Have you tried turning the case fan around so it's pushing cool air over Wraith? That might solve your noise issues and it doesn't cost anything but a few minutes of time to try.

Soldato
Good question. I did a quick google and didn't find anything about temps except users saying to stay below about 80c .. but how true that is I have no idea. Reason I know 2950X & 2990WX throttle is because a review of them using CLC and air cooling had temps all between 67.8c &
68.3c, but clock speeds were 2.76-4.42GHz. Obviously not the same CPU as yours by a long shot, but got me to wondering about the others. ;)

Soldato
The only reason I asked about switching fan is like I said before about their tendency to re-use their own heated exhaust. It's too bad the Wraith fan can't be turned over to pull air up instead of pushing down. I've found that often lowers temps by 5-10c.

Associate
OP
Test with rear fan blowing in:

With lid on = 61.3c
With lid off = 61.5c

Interesting result.

I was going to try overclocking the CPU to 3.8 (don't want to gready) and run the voltage a 1.2v.

Obvoiusly doing this the GPU will not auto it frquency so instead of throttling it will just crash?

Associate
OP
Ryzen%20Temps.jpg

Ambient temp was 20c

CPU-Z Strees for 10mins

Last edited:
Associate
I think the reality is that as already said before, with a case like yours, your going to have a setup where air is needing forced in some manner to ensure a flow of fresh air which will always result in some noise.

I have a 2400G installed in mine which is a 65W cpu like the 2700, and I fitted a wraith prism onto it. That can be had within your budget and its notably bigger / larger capacity than the spire. At idle / browsing I cant hear it - the HDD is a lot noisier in the system. At load, then yes, it makes noise, but thats a given and acceptable. Might be worth consideration ?

Associate
OP
I am going to splash the cash and get the Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4

I know it more than most but I have Noctua fans on my gaming PC and very happy with them.

I have also checked the excellent Noctua web site which confirms it will fit on my mobo.

Thanks again for your help.

Of course I will report back once fitted and run some more tests :)

I seem to have changed the font, what should it be and what size?

Last edited:
Soldato
Temps are good. Did you try with case and cooler fans both set flowing air from back to front?

What is the string on top of cooler? Sorry, I just had to ask.

Associate
OP
The string helped get the fan clip onto the heatsink :)

I decided not to try other was as I felt the airflow just looked wrong and more difficult to get out the air out

I am currently making a test lid with a fan blowing air in at the front although, I prob dont need it and the CPU will never be on full more than 20mins. However its an interesting project and costs nowt

Soldato
If you could organize your PSU cable snake pit in front of cooler so that area is clear .. maybe fold them flat and zip-tie them in the space between top of PSU and case top? I suspect temps would be lower, probably several degrees with a clean path to front of cooler.

Associate
OP
I see you have replied to my new thread.

As you can see I have had second thought and decided to do it.

As you know my cooler has a 120mm fan so have gone for the 120mm Silverstone grill. Its on order. Need to buy a 120mm hole cutter now

Back
Top Bottom