R8 Gone C63 AMG In !

Soldato
Do you have a Mercedes with this technology?

Seems to work pretty good on a complicated windy country road last night

I'll admit, I've only experienced getting blinded by newer Mercedes that may or may not have the technology. But it's known that it's not great when behind a motorbike.

I have experienced Audi's and Seat's, it's not great and manual is the better selfless option. Id expect (hope) that Mercedes is better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unless the auto dipped beams are clever enough to see the glow of approaching full beams coming round a corner or over the brow of a hill and change preemptively, they will never be good enough. Changing when they see the approaching head lights themselves is too late, the other driver is already blinded.

Man of Honour
Unless the auto dipped beams are clever enough to see the glow of approaching full beams coming round a corner or over the brow of a hill and change preemptively, they will never be good enough. Changing when they see the approaching head lights themselves is too late, the other driver is already blinded.

They use a camera to detect incoming light sources.

Though the basic system in my first F10 wasn't great (and it works the same way as that in the C class).

Soldato
Mine react to light. Form cars coming round the corner. To my own lights reflecting off large signs.

I think the BMW adaptive lights version looks better.

Man of Honour
I have auto dip on my R8 and like my F10 before it's a bit hit and miss. I sometimes have to turn my lights down manually as the sensor struggles with bends and hills a bit on both cars.

Soldato
OP

I'm only going off my experience last night to be honest, I was amazed how quick they dipped faster than I would have been able to

Soldato
In the BMW's you can adjust the sensitivity of the KAFAS camera through E-SYS on both versions of the camera. Although I've not had to it with mine as it dips even if the reflection off of sign posts is too much.

Man of Honour
In the BMW's you can adjust the sensitivity of the KAFAS camera through E-SYS on both versions of the camera. Although I've not had to it with mine as it dips even if the reflection off of sign posts is too much.

Note that most BMW's with HBA don't have a KAFAS camera, they have a more basic camera unless the car was additionally specified with LDW or SLI in which case they did get the KAFAS camera.

Mine didn't have a KAFAS camera :(

Man of Honour
Fox..Does it work as well as the BMW videos shows.

Impressed by the one light dipping etc

There are a number of systems and it's been around for quite a while - the original system simply automatically dipped the full beam when the camera detected oncoming traffic.

This system was fitted to cars with Xenon lights and High Beam Assistant up to and including the pre facelift F10 5 Series.

The later system was more clever and varies the lighting individually on each headlight creating boxes of 'no light' around oncoming traffic, etc. This system is fitted to cars from the F30 3 Series and the facelift F10 5 Series onwards*

Then there is the system fitted to cars with Adaptive LED headlights, which is even more advanced.

*Annoyingly at the point at which this was introduced, Xenon lights themselves became standard fit. Previously they were not so most buyers opted for a Visibility Pack including HBA and Xenon's. After the facelift almost nobody bothered anymore so despite being probably one of the most incredible Xenon lighting systems ever made available on a BMW, virtually no F10 has it fitted. Even the salesmen didn't seem to realise how much better than the original system wsa.

Every night I cry myself to sleep over the fact my original F10 had HBA and it was gimmicky crap, and my new F10 does not have HBA and it's stunningly awesome.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Nice, love these... saw one 10 min ago, he gave it some on the dual carriageway. They do indeed sound epic, they're quick too. :eek: :D

Soldato
My next door neighbour has just swapped his for a brand new one... Every damn morning 07:30....BBrrruuuuuuummm burble burble burble...It really annoys me because sometimes i don't hear it...lol

Soldato
OP
Can we go back to talking about awesome V8's and not headlights?

Only joking I didn't really know this techno stuff existed, must buy cars with more toys in future :D

Back
Top Bottom