• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Only one i could find, was when my top 16x lane started to play up, hence cables unplugged and my trusty 6450 installed at the bottom :)

Since given away the P8P67 board, case and a lot of otherstuff :D

5L0KUyT.jpg

Ah sod it. I wasn't going to include this picture as i noticed some marks on the side of the case. I may have to try and get Corsair to send me out a replacement panel as they won't come off. Not sure how i never noticed this before now tbh lol. :o Oh and i didn't want to come off as an alcoholic, but sweet liquor does ease the pain of life. Also just realised there was a pink shot glass in the other pics. (don't judge me) :p

http://i.imgur.com/lu6SuJv.jpg[IMG]

EDIT

For the record the pink shot glass is not mine.[/QUOTE]

The carbide does look good and everyone knows the glass is yours. :)

That rig got split down and sold about a month after completing. I have a problem, don't tend to keep things for very long lol :D
I should have rinsed the blocks/rads as my red went a purple, so instead of splitting and putting back together i split and sold :(

During the same gaming load, PowerColor's PCS+ R9 290X hits a peak temperature of 74 °C (165 °F) after approximately eight minutes.
I don't understand how they manage to get to these sort of temperatures.

Obviously mine is running inside a closed HAF 912+ case.
After 3 hours of solid BF4 in Mantle with vSync off and a quieter custom fan profile it peaks at 70c.
In Crysis 3 again with vSync off after an hour or two it peaks at 67c.

Still...

Conclusion

If you are back in the market for a Radeon R9 290X, having watched their prices dip back down into sane territory, PowerColor's PCS+ R9 290X is one of our favorite choices. The card doesn't suffer any debilitating flaws, but rather offers excellent gaming performance behind an effective cooler. And speaking of heat sink design, PowerColor's fits like a glove. The implementation would be tough to beat.

As we've seen, some competing vendors built their Radeon R9 290Xes in a hurry and missed the mark. Haste makes waste, so to speak. So, it looks like the long wait for PowerColor's card was worthwhile.
^^ :)

And

But the board is also well-built
It is, the whole card has a quality feel to it, the shroud is solid cold hard metal, it has a thick alloy back plate, the doesn't flex or move, it just feels solid, a quality product.

You should expect that for a £330 GPU, unfortunatly you don't always get it, some cards still feel cheap and plastic.

Yeah that's the good thing about the ref coolers.
Though my PCS does a good job with VRM cooling too.

I've been told the VRMs are spec'd to 125C, so I think it should be okay.

Can you type louder, I can't hear you.:D

Pardon? :p

I thought about getting two 290x's recently as they can be had for new for just over £300 with free games which is ridiculous.
But I'm not sure I could deal with the noise :p

If you run them at stock and undervolt you can keep the fan speeds low like i do, though i have a 10% overclock on mine.

In my system my gpu's are no louder than my Gentle Typhoon fans. The problem is that even this is loud to some people. Hell GM thinks they're loud at 20% fan speed, yet i can't even hear them at that speed with my head in the case. :D

If you're anal about fan noise, avoid.

I had a 6990 for several months. I wonder if it's louder than that :p

I'm definitely anal about idle fan noise. I got rid of my AIO cpu cooler and power supply for that reason. At idle the loudest things in my case are my hard drives.

Back
Top Bottom