• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
So it's been several days running the 290X Tri-X...

Compared to the GTX 780 I'm liking it although there wasn't anything wrong with the 780 It runs quiter when gaming but outs more heat into the case and my load and idle temps are a few degrees higher now.

No bugs or driver issues spotted at all and if my eyes aren't deceiving me I could swear that some games look richer on the AMD card. A game I play almost every night, TF2, the colours of textures feel like they pop more with slightly improved clarity. Anyone else notice this coming from nVidia?

Good to hear, Tri-X is a lovely card, I'd like another.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Heh luls shenanigans aside, my impression of AMD cards in the past was that they were rather poor in terms of drivers and noise and heat generated, this is going back to when I had the 4870!

Now though, a different game :D

Soldato
Just noticed the 290x lightnings have disappeared off of ocuk..

Was looking at picking one up maybe.

why dont you, it's only 30 quid more than the Sapphire vapour X, just search for it.

my guess is the Powercolor 290x with the RAM thrown in, is the best budget buy, but the Lightning is the best if you want performance, because it aint as expensive as a month ago ;) so it's within reach

the 7990 you can only get cheap 2nd hand and the 280X is the same as my 7970

this is not for my new rig in sig..........it's for my old i5

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers Mal,

I'd perfer to buy of Ocuk if possible but happy to look elsewhere if needs be, going to be upgrading my monitor at towards the end of the month so was looking to drop another 290X in for CF action.

I'd rather get a Ref 290X but seems hard to find now, will keep an eye on the MM.

Soldato
Cheers Mal,

I'd perfer to buy of Ocuk if possible but happy to look elsewhere if needs be, going to be upgrading my monitor at towards the end of the month so was looking to drop another 290X in for CF action.

I'd rather get a Ref 290X but seems hard to find now, will keep an eye on the MM.

i'm about to buy something but i've no idea what
1.........lightning
2.........that budget 290x thingy
3.........7990 off ebay....2nd hand :(

problemo.........my first sapphire 7970 blew when i OCd it too far, i was too scared to go crazy the 2nd time........so i used max AMD catalyst only:D
that 7970 had a 10 week RMA :eek::eek:..... yea' ten weeks

the lightning is a waste of money......UNLESS you OC it very far, because in factory stock/ mild OC it wont be any faster than the budget one with the free RAM..

the 7990 off ebay.........2nd hand and almost definitely used for Mining...would you trust it ??????....so hard to choose

the budget Powercolor one gets a really good review, especially its tripple fan cooler

Last edited:
Soldato
well you'd better ;)

nudge budge wink wink........... that Lightning is still tempting, so i wouldn't say it's a total waste of money...damn it's hard

Last edited:
Soldato
i would go for the powercolor 290 pcs+, infact i did go for one and so far so good

the 290 and 290x are too close...only 5fps apart, it looks like the 290 is the best buy

but i've put an offer in for a 7990, if this fails i'll get the 290

Last edited:
Soldato
hell yea baby, i got the 7990 for £300, it's a bit much for 1080p but at least i dont have to upgrade for a few years, this card has quite a bit of guarantee left:cool:

Associate
I recently bought a Asus Matrix R9290x-p-4cd5. Having lots of problems, when playing Crysis 3 after about 5 mins start to get white flashing artifacts, slowly get worse then blackscreens. Have to alt tab to task manager to close Crysis, gpu tweak shows the mem stuck at 5400. Tried fresh install of win 7 on new disk, still the same. Left sides off case and set fans to max still black screens. If I set gpu tweak to power save it does not blackscreen. If I put 7970 matrix back in all runs ok, no blackscreens. What do you think the problem is? Running win7 x64 and catalyst 14.4.

Last edited:
Suspended
I recently bought a Asus Matrix R9290x-p-4cd5. Having lots of problems, when playing Crysis 3 after about 5 mins start to get white flashing artifacts, slowly get worse then blackscreens. Have to alt tab to task manager to close Crysis, gpu tweak shows the mem stuck at 5400. Tried fresh install of win 7 on new disk, still the same. Left sides off case and set fans to max still black screens. If I set gpu tweak to power save it does not blackscreen. If I put 7970 matrix back in all runs ok, no blackscreens. What do you think the problem is? Running win7 x64 and catalyst 14.4.

Sounds like its unstable, is it overclocked? i'm guessing not, if it is put it back to stock, or if not Underclock it and run Crysis 3 for 2 hours, take the memory to about 5000 (1250Mhz) and the core to 900Mhz or even 850Mhz.

report back with results. :)

Edit> whats your temperatures like?

Back
Top Bottom