• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Caporegime
thanks mate. thats fixed it.

why didn't i need to do that when i had a 6990 or 6990 + 6950?

According to unwinder...

Added optional unified GPU usage monitoring path via D3DKMT performance counters. You may tick "Enable unified GPU usage monitoring" option in "AMD compatibilities properties" in "General" tab as a workaround to replace native AMD GPU usage monitoring if it is working improperly (e.g. broken GPU usage monitoring in AMD ADL API for AMD Sea Islands GPU family) voltage regulators...etc

Man of Honour
OP

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So it's been several days running the 290X Tri-X...

Compared to the GTX 780 I'm liking it although there wasn't anything wrong with the 780 It runs quiter when gaming but outs more heat into the case and my load and idle temps are a few degrees higher now.

No bugs or driver issues spotted at all and if my eyes aren't deceiving me I could swear that some games look richer on the AMD card. A game I play almost every night, TF2, the colours of textures feel like they pop more with slightly improved clarity. Anyone else notice this coming from nVidia?

Caporegime

Compared to the GTX 780 I'm liking it although there wasn't anything wrong with the 780 It runs quiter when gaming but outs more heat into the case and my load and idle temps are a few degrees higher now.

No bugs or driver issues spotted at all and if my eyes aren't deceiving me I could swear that some games look richer on the AMD card. A game I play almost every night, TF2, the colours of textures feel like they pop more with slightly improved clarity. Anyone else notice this coming from nVidia?

Amd's colour palette does seem to be brighter than NVidia's. When I had my NVidia 295 cards I noticed TF2 didn't look as colourful, then when I switched to a 6990 it was back to how I remembered it.

Associate
Just wondering if you guys thought 1200/1680 was a good overclock for a 290X with +200mV and +20% PL?

Also, whenever I go above this (1220), it won't artifact, but performs no better than it does at 1200, how come?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
OP
Ok, should I put the VRAM frequency back down to stock and try it again?

Try 1200/6400 and run 3dmark firestrike then write down what graphics score you get.

Then up the clocks to 1200/6500 and run firestrike again and record the graphics score.

Keep doing this, adding 100mhz to the VRAM until the score starts to go down or the bench won't run.

You probably won't be able to leave the core at stock and just overclock the VRAM, you need to do both together like in the examples above.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The thing is my monitor is colour calibrated and IPS so what I see on screen should be the same as before, well for photos it is of course :p It's just in games it's just richer :)

I also noticed the difference when i changed to ati now amd but i try to play it down because all the nvidia boys flame me and tell me im talking piffle

Pfft it's OK,. none of them are browsing this thread :D

Caporegime

Welcome to the red team, this is why we use AMD cards. We haven't mentioned that API either yet. :cool:

Caporegime

I also noticed the difference when i changed to ati now amd but i try to play it down because all the nvidia boys flame me and tell me im talking piffle

Back
Top Bottom