• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

ii used to have the 290x gaming edition and cant remember hitting those temps,as i recall it used to sit smack on 71c, cant remember the noise levels as i game with a headset

Hmm strange.

Well at the moment im sitting at 84c and 64% fan speed my case has vent openings at the front, bottom, top and back of the case with 2 x 140MM intakes and 2 x 120MM exhausts so the card is receiving great airflow.

Guessing I have a card where the thermal paste is one big blob of mess if the cooler was to be removed shame I don't feel confident enough to go have a look!

Anyone else with a MSI 290X Twin Frozr can let me know there max temps in Crysis 3 as that's where my card goes into the 80s.

Wait, when I had two lightnings in crossfire whenever the top GPU go over 84c it would crash to desktop are you getting similar problems?

Strange that your single 290x would reach over 80 on high fan speeds, either your cooling setup is not good enough or there's something wrong with your card. I would only expect those temps from the top GPU if you were running in crossfire

Wait, when I had two lightnings in crossfire whenever the top GPU go over 84c it would crash to desktop are you getting similar problems?

Strange that your single 290x would reach over 80 on high fan speeds, either your cooling setup is not good enough or there's something wrong with your card. I would only expect those temps from the top GPU if you were running in crossfire

Nope the game play's fine but obviously I know those temps are high for my GPU.

My case is a Corsair 450D therefore airflow isn't an issue if anything I have an optimal case cooling solution for this card.

Obviously it's operating within it's limit but still it's on the high side for a Twin Frozr.

AMDMatt, What's your opinion on the possible issue for my high temps on the 290X ? :D

My concerns are in the summer this card is going to be screaming by the look of things!

Last edited:
Nope the game play's fine but obviously I know those temps are high for my GPU.

My case is a Corsair 450D therefore airflow isn't an issue if anything I have an optimal case cooling solution for this card.

Obviously it's operating within it's limit but still it's on the high side for a Twin Frozr.

AMDMatt, What's your opinion on the possible issue for my high temps on the 290X ? :D

My concerns are in the summer this card is going to be screaming by the look of things!

Seems a perfectly normal temp to me. Suggestions to possibly improve it given your case would be the following.

Undervolt the 290X using afterburner (-0.025v - 0.050v should be possible, but start with -0.025v)
High static pressure intake fans (Noctua Industrials)
Remove space pci brackets from the rear of the 450
Positive case pressure (more intake fans than exhaust)

Guys, is this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-281-MS any different from a "normal" 290X? Seems cheap?

Slightly lower (20Mhz) core clock than a standard Gaming Edition 290X.

Is that all? I presume I could just OC it?!

Correct, that's the only difference. :)

Thanks Matt,

I've unlocked the voltage control on MSI Afterburner and it's currently at +13 (Is this normal?) Also what number should I be inputting to reduce the voltage by 0.025v. Rather ask for an idiot guide before messing around with it.

Back
Top Bottom