• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Thanks Matt,

I've unlocked the voltage control on MSI Afterburner and it's currently at +13 (Is this normal?) Also what number should I be inputting to reduce the voltage by 0.025v. Rather ask for an idiot guide before messing around with it.

Decrease in -0.006v increments. Start at -0.025v. If you go too far you will get 2D flickering and an eventual black screen. So back off -0.012v from instability. My 295'x2 will do -0.060v, my best 290X reference card did -0.050v. My worst 290X 8gb card will only do -0.025v. :)

Decrease in -0.006v increments. Start at -0.025v. If you go too far you will get 2D flickering and an eventual black screen. So back off -0.012v from instability. My 295'x2 will do -0.060v, my best 290X reference card did -0.050v. My worst 290X 8gb card will only do -0.025v. :)

I'd imagine my won't undervolt to much due to not being able to Overclock much without needing extra volts!

But sorry to be dumb again but how do I input those numbers in after burner as at the moment it says 13+ how do these translate?

Edit: It seems I can only get whole numbers?

Last edited:
I'd imagine my won't undervolt to much due to not being able to Overclock much without needing extra volts!

But sorry to be dumb again but how do I input those numbers in after burner as at the moment it says 13+ how do these translate?

Move the voltage slider to the left. Go in baby steps and see how you get on. :)

Move the voltage slider to the left. Go in baby steps and see how you get on. :)

I'm at -6 at the moment and already dropped a couple of degree's at idle.

To test stability would the best way to be run Crysis for example to see how it copes with the voltage when clock speeds are maxed?

If any crashes etc are to happen can this damage my GPU?

I'm at -6 at the moment and already dropped a couple of degree's at idle.

To test stability would the best way to be run Crysis for example to see how it copes with the voltage when clock speeds are maxed?

If any crashes etc are to happen can this damage my GPU?

Don't use Crysis as it is not very graphically demanding, use more modern games to test with.

I do own BF4 but when I said Crysis I ment Crysis 3 (Surely this should be good enough to test?)

Atm im at -6 and seem to be around 4 Degree's cooler and running fine.

Edit: -25 with 75c Temps and 54% fan speed which seems to have taken 5-8c off and 10% less fan speed. Think ill leave it there as it's running fine does -25 look okay to you guy's who know more about undervolting?

Last edited:
I do own BF4 but when I said Crysis I ment Crysis 3 (Surely this should be good enough to test?)

Edit: -25 with 75c Temps and 54% fan speed which seems to have taken 5-8c off and 10% less fan speed. Think ill leave it there as it's running fine does -25 look okay to you guy's who know more about undervolting?

Crysis 3 would be ideal for testing as it does work the cards hard.

The original Crysis though is more of a CPU bottleneck test.

I think I'm the undervolting expert here as I've been doing it on various cards since day one. :p

See my previous post for my rough recommendations on what you can expect to undervolt to before instability becomes an issue.

I expect you'll get somewhere between -0.031v and -0.044v. :)

Under-volted my Crossfired 290s yesterday, having read Matt's advice, and was able to go to -13 right off the batt with no issues. I would have tried more but got engrossed in Elite. I'll try pushing it down to -25 tonight, as even at -13 there was a noticeable drop in temperatures.

Heaven results, everything at stock values, CPU, GPU, and RAM.

Overclocked results to come :)

B-JPimtCEAEbtt6.png:large

I think I'm the undervolting expert here as I've been doing it on various cards since day one. :p

See my previous post for my rough recommendations on what you can expect to undervolt to before instability becomes an issue.

I expect you'll get somewhere between -0.031v and -0.044v. :)

Sorry, That comment was ment at the likes of yourself!

Crysis 3 is a good enough game to stress?

Ill keep going later on but at -25 no problems and not reaching 84c any more :D

Sorry, That comment was ment at the likes of yourself!

Crysis 3 is a good enough game to stress?

Ill keep going later on but at -25 no problems and not reaching 84c any more :D

Good man!

Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Farcry 3 are all good games for sniffing out an unstable core clock. :)

EDIT

To be honest though, typically with undervolting Hawaii you will get instability at 2D first rather than 3D. :)

Last edited:
What do people consider max voltage for overclocking?

There is no set max voltage per se. Keeping to +100mv should be safe so long as temps are kept within check, but there is no specified safe limit as such.

Afterburner allows +100mv, Trixxx allows +200mv. You can add a shortcut to afterburner to allow ridiculous amounts of voltage, but you won't get that information from me I'm afraid. I'm sure others will be able to point you in the right direction though. :)

There is no set max voltage per se. Keeping to +100mv should be safe so long as temps are kept within check, but there is no specified safe limit as such.

Afterburner allows +100mv, Trixxx allows +200mv. You can add a shortcut to afterburner to allow ridiculous amounts of voltage, but you won't get that information from me I'm afraid. I'm sure others will be able to point you in the right direction though. :)

I can't do much with mine at the minute Matt! ;) I'm just wondering for hopefully a few weeks time!

Back
Top Bottom