• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

They are still very good cards.:)

Oh, I know. Still very happy with my three when crossfire works well.

And still decent for single card at 4k when crossfire doesn't if I'm being honest.

And with a mantle game they can be sublime. Dragon age utterly maxed in mantle is just so smooth it's incredible.

I tried the afterburner, ran 3dmark suite.
Max temp 39
Saw no flicker...
Dunno what to take from this, I can't assume it just went away :rolleyes:

Hi again, are you still getting flickering issues or have you managed to fix it?

I've actually managed to fix it on my PC. Here's what I did, hopefully it will help you and anyone else with the same problems.

So, I had two issues, the random flickering and random stuttering/lag in the bios, windows environment and while using games/software.

I ran memtest to make sure my RAM was OK and it passed. Looks like all the other hardware in my PC is stable as well.

Turns out, in order to eliminate the flickering, I had to rename the source on my Samsung display. It was 'HDMI 1' and I renamed it to 'PC' by selecting from a list of options in the displays in-built menu.
I haven't experienced any more flickering since. If you're not using a Samsung display, it may still be worth investigating your source connections and renaming them 'PC' if they're not already.

With regards to the lag/stutter, I formatted my SSD and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. Up till now, I've not experienced anymore lag/stutter.

I should probably add that as soon as the OS was installed, I disabled automatic updates. So my OS has remained unchanged since installation. I have also overclocked my CPU to 4.5GHz and my system has not crashed once and remains lag, stutter and flicker free...... for now at least ......:p

I did. How come?

Just recently swapped over to just outputting over hdmi.

At the risk of sounding like a total n00b I can't figure out how to output sound from my sound card instead of my 290X.

My 290X is connected to my display via an HDMI cable, and currently sound is playing from that.

My sound card is an ASUS Xonar D2X and I'm using Win 8.1 pro 64 bit.

It's not clear to me in the Xonar audio Centre or under Hardware and Sound in windows how to switch audio output from my 290X to my D2X. I Select what I think is my sound card as the default device but get no sound.
I know my sound card works because I've been able to test it, so there's probably no problem with it.

How did you do it?

Right click the speaker icon in the notification area, then go to sounds, this opens a dialogue box, then go to playback and choose the primary output in there. Infact if you are not going to use the HDMI sound output just remove/disable it.

Wonder if you guys can help me please. I picked up a Sapphire R290x Tri-X 4GB from an EU rainforest for c.230 and it turns out that it is the 1st gen and not the newer, slightly higher clock.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be massively bothered but the item appears to be a return and not brand new so I am considering returning it anyway.

Consequently I am now questioning my original purchase and am considering the Vapor-X Tri-X version at c.280. Is the increase in performance worth the extra outlay?

Right click the speaker icon in the notification area, then go to sounds, this opens a dialogue box, then go to playback and choose the primary output in there. Infact if you are not going to use the HDMI sound output just remove/disable it.

Thanks for the reply :)

Unfortunately no luck. When my sound card is selected as the default device I can see the sound bars moving both in the Xonar app and in windows, but still don't hear any sound.

Sound comes back again once I switch the default device back to my display and thus the HDMI input from my 290X

At the risk of sounding like a total n00b I can't figure out how to output sound from my sound card instead of my 290X.

My 290X is connected to my display via an HDMI cable, and currently sound is playing from that.

My sound card is an ASUS Xonar D2X and I'm using Win 8.1 pro 64 bit.

It's not clear to me in the Xonar audio Centre or under Hardware and Sound in windows how to switch audio output from my 290X to my D2X. I Select what I think is my sound card as the default device but get no sound.
I know my sound card works because I've been able to test it, so there's probably no problem with it.

How did you do it?

I have a D2X alongside my 290X and it is the one thing that is stopping me considering Crossfire due to the location of the PCI slot it uses on my mainboard. DD Live is very important to me as I output to my Denon AV Receiver. As yet I am unaware of another way to get full DD5.1 via another method for gaming; sound down HDMI from a graphics card doesn't do this does it?

Anyway back to the point; here are my settings. I am currently outputting via DVI-D so all of the sound card settings for the HDMI show disconnected not sure what would happen if I used HDMI instead. Either way these should override. Setting the games into Surround/Home Cinema/5.1 whatever then works fine for me and my amp always shows Dolby Digital input.

fUCGYDM.png

Hope that helps :)

Just ordered one of these cards to upgrade from my ageing 7950.

It's an XFX card with a Corsair H90 cooler...this thread is massive so does anyone have any idea roughly what overclocks I should be able to attain when it arrives?

Can't wait to play GTA and PCars on it! :cool:

My experience with pcars and my 295 has been ok, game runs as smooth as butter for me.

50 - 70 fps @4k with a mix of high to ultra settings (grass is set to off though)

witcher 3 runs "ok" @4k about 30 - 40 on medium

when u consider it can be had for half the price of a titan x, its not that bad a card even without perfect drivers, makes a LOT of heat though

Back
Top Bottom