• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

I cannot try different slots as it's plumed with watercooling.
But I have seen it with the same card in 2 diff mobo's and cpu configs.
the same c drive though,
so it feels like it's either the card (which would suck balls) or some driver/register.
I'm reluctant to rebuild the c drive, but will do if the problem comes back.

The card temps are rarely above 50,
Is there a program that can graph it over time or something?

He appears to be another one that gets confused between adapive sync and free sync

Adaptive sync is whats the name of the tech/standard in the monitors, free sync is the name of AMD's implementation to use that tech/standard with their cards

Nice plug for ocuk too

I cannot try different slots as it's plumed with watercooling.
But I have seen it with the same card in 2 diff mobo's and cpu configs.
the same c drive though,
so it feels like it's either the card (which would suck balls) or some driver/register.
I'm reluctant to rebuild the c drive, but will do if the problem comes back.

The card temps are rarely above 50,
Is there a program that can graph it over time or something?

Well you could use MSI afterburner which monitors the GPU temps over time and displays this in a graph in real time. I don't know if it will give you exactly what you're looking for though.

Also, if you do use this software, you could go into the settings and test to see if any of them resolve your flickering issue. You could disable 'Ultra Low Power State Mode' (ULPS) and that may help.

Well you could use MSI afterburner which monitors the GPU temps over time and displays this in a graph in real time. I don't know if it will give you exactly what you're looking for though.

Also, if you do use this software, you could go into the settings and test to see if any of them resolve your flickering issue. You could disable 'Ultra Low Power State Mode' (ULPS) and that may help.

I tried the afterburner, ran 3dmark suite.
Max temp 39
Saw no flicker...
Dunno what to take from this, I can't assume it just went away :rolleyes:

I'm at looking into swapping my CF290X setup for SLI 980's, for one main reason, when having crossfire with AMD and spend money on 2 cards, you actually end up using 1 80% of the time and I'm getting a bit sick of it. I must play Witcher 3 in 4K with as many FPS as possible and I've got a feeling AMD are going to make this very hard for me to do and this is going to be my game of 2015.

Will I see any gains @ 4K moving from CF290X's to 980SLI?? what worries me is the memory bus of these cards compared to mine. Should I worry?

I'm at looking into swapping my CF290X setup for SLI 980's, for one main reason, when having crossfire with AMD and spend money on 2 cards, you actually end up using 1 80% of the time and I'm getting a bit sick of it. I must play Witcher 3 in 4K with as many FPS as possible and I've got a feeling AMD are going to make this very hard for me to do and this is going to be my game of 2015.

Will I see any gains @ 4K moving from CF290X's to 980SLI?? what worries me is the memory bus of these cards compared to mine. Should I worry?

So you end up using only 1 card during 80% of your gaming time due to crossfire? I was under the impression that this was also the case with SLI? No?

Maybe I am missing your point, but from what I have read, in single card mode the 290X is only a few frames behind the 980 in some games for £200 less. It also scales better in Crossfire. Sadly though, AMD cannot compete with the lower power consumption of Nvidia.

I am not sure if Witcher is better optimized for Nvidia, but from what I read, both Crossfire and SLI have preferable games where one brand performs better than the other on that particular title.

I myself have two 7950's for crossfire, which are currently split up, I am waiting for the 390's to be released, but at £240 per card the 290X is tempting, as is the 970's in SLI for it's lower power draw. I would even go for a Titan X, if only getting the smoothest gameplay at 4k was in fact possible with any of them. All seem to compromise somewhere.

As desirable as the 980 is, it's only fractionally better than a 290X for nearly twice the cost, and you end up swapping one issue for another elsewhere most likely.

So you end up using only 1 card during 80% of your gaming time due to crossfire? I was under the impression that this was also the case with SLI? No?

Maybe I am missing your point, but from what I have read, in single card mode the 290X is only a few frames behind the 980 in some games for £200 less. It also scales better in Crossfire. Sadly though, AMD cannot compete with the lower power consumption of Nvidia.

I am not sure if Witcher is better optimized for Nvidia, but from what I read, both Crossfire and SLI have preferable games where one brand performs better than the other on that particular title.

I myself have two 7950's for crossfire, which are currently split up, I am waiting for the 390's to be released, but at £240 per card the 290X is tempting, as is the 970's in SLI for it's lower power draw. I would even go for a Titan X, if only getting the smoothest gameplay at 4k was in fact possible with any of them. All seem to compromise somewhere.

As desirable as the 980 is, it's only fractionally better than a 290X for nearly twice the cost, and you end up swapping one issue for another elsewhere most likely.

Post of the day. :)

I went from 2x 8Gb 290x's to a single 980 and I'm not disappointed. But I'm only gaming at 1440p.
As for the question. If you've got the 290's in crossfire already then I'd seriously not spend the money going to the 980's. I'd be waiting for the 390 or getting a titan-x.

Have the new drivers been relised?
My sig rig as alwas maxed BF4 but i always run at high just to be safe. However over the last 2 days i am getting stutters in game.
Card runs at stock. Never had need to over clock it. I know theres not been an game update.

Back
Top Bottom