• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

This a good GPU for 1440p and 2160p gaming then?

I'm looking at parts for a new build right now. I'll be using a 1000w PSU in it for future crossfire.

Do you think the prices of the 290x's will drop below £200 when 3 series range comes out?

Not sure if I should buy now or wait..

Hi Guys.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I picked up a tri-x 290x a few days ago.

I'm currently at 1150/1650 @ + 81mv in trixx (about 1.21v shown in GPUZ under load).

With that, I'm hitting 73c core and 81c VRM1 after an hour of Crysis 3 on the stock fan curve, and its pretty damn quiet doing that I might add.

Should I keep pushing for higher clocks for 24/7 use? I had a quick try @ 1200MHz @ +100mv, but it crashes heaven quite quickly, so probably quite far off being game stable.

How much more voltage (if any) should I bump it before its just not worth it?

On a side note. I've never been as impressed with the build quality of a graphics card. The thing is built like a tank, and somehow, despite the length and weight of the card, it doesn't sag in the pci slot at all :)

Last edited:
currently own a Powercolor PCS+ R290X, went to look for a 2nd one to see how much tey are and the 2 main sellers i use dont stock them any more!

whats gone on?

I don't think they are making them anymore due to the 390x. I'm guessing they made a load of them and the stock ran out and they don't see it profitable to make more. I'm probably wrong though. A few people have found this.

Can you not run different memory sizes on the 290x i have always believed they would be compatible, though will run at the lower memory level. ie 290x 8gb+ 290x 4gb will run at 4gb on each card?

I don't think you can but don't hold me too that. I always thought if you had 4gb you need another 4gb because I've seen people with the 6gb 780Ti I think wanting to sli and but not able to find another as they were a limited run.

I don't think you can but don't hold me too that. I always thought if you had 4gb you need another 4gb because I've seen people with the 6gb 780Ti I think wanting to sli and but not able to find another as they were a limited run.

I think you can run any 290 series card in crossfire 4gb or 8gb.

NVidia on the other hand are a complete pain in the $%^& and you have to use indentical cards.

currently own a Powercolor PCS+ R290X, went to look for a 2nd one to see how much tey are and the 2 main sellers i use dont stock them any more!

whats gone on?

my powercolor pcs+ r9 290 had to be rma and they could not fix or replace so i got a refund makes you think they have stopped production now ready for the 3's

Hi Guys.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I picked up a tri-x 290x a few days ago.

I'm currently at 1150/1650 @ + 81mv in trixx (about 1.21v shown in GPUZ under load).

With that, I'm hitting 73c core and 81c VRM1 after an hour of Crysis 3 on the stock fan curve, and its pretty damn quiet doing that I might add.

Should I keep pushing for higher clocks for 24/7 use? I had a quick try @ 1200MHz @ +100mv, but it crashes heaven quite quickly, so probably quite far off being game stable.

How much more voltage (if any) should I bump it before its just not worth it?

On a side note. I've never been as impressed with the build quality of a graphics card. The thing is built like a tank, and somehow, despite the length and weight of the card, it doesn't sag in the pci slot at all :)

I‘ve awnsered my own question lol.

trying for 1180mhz. up to 121mv so far, but still not stable. fans have become noticeable, GPU temp up a touch, as are the VRM temps. I think Ill stick with the 1150MHz setting.

Might have a little play with the AUX slider to see if I can get a little mem clock for free. Anyone got any tips for playing with the AUX voltage? -31mv and +50mv cause instant artifacts, so I guess I'm playing between those values.

Back
Top Bottom