• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon FURY thread

Soldato
That all makes sense, I'd say the price is still a bit on the high side though. 980s can be had at any point for £350 - 380 ish, so the Fury would have to have a fair bit higher performance to justify the extra cost. But, seeing the price that the FuryX came in at relative to the 980Ti, I can definitely see your predictions being true.

We shall find out soon enough though!

Prices I have found for 980 are £370 - £450 so quite a delta based on make/model there. So I just used a baseline price of ~£380 + 10% or so. :)

Nothing too scientific, just common sense based on current prices at mainstream etailers. I also expect Nvidia to have special deals on 980 and even 980Ti cards to ruin AMDs party.

Associate
OP
AMD better live up to their promise of "an overclockers dream" i'm not taking 1-200 MHz i'm taking 500 MHz minimum. if this does not come to pass then AMD just lie at press conferences,

Suspended
390X is not on power with a GTX 980 at 1440p, it comes close but not equal as you claim.. Factor in the OC ability of both and the 980 is a better option at 1440p. This is why the 980 is still £40 - £50 more expensive, because it is faster overall.

980Ti is ~30% faster than 980 at 1440p
Fury X is ~10%+ slower than 980Ti at 1440p.
Spec put Fury at potentially 10% slower than Fury X. Or 20%+ slower than 980Ti.
Basic maths puts Fury at ~10% (at best) faster than 980.
By this logic AMD simply cannot price Fury any more than 10% more than 980. So ~£420 going by 980 prices. Right between 390X and Fury X MSRP.

Obviously price gouging is not factored in to my basic man maths :)

Note: I expect Fury to be a great card for the price. It will be slightly faster than a 980 for a similar price. AMD have GPUs that are definitely viable alternatives to the competition. Something that hasn't happened since 290X/290

Your talking about margins of error, whats the point in nit picking a couple of % just to say "its faster" by that measure the 390X is faster at 4K, but its not really, not by any reasonable measure.

Soldato
Your talking about margins of error, whats the point in nit picking a couple of % just to say "its faster" by that measure the 390X is faster at 4K, but its not really, not by any reasonable measure.

We are getting OT, the 390X is ~£330 MSRP and the Fury X is £510. Fury X will fall right between both, that is the pertinent point of my posts.

Associate
is it possible that these could outperform or get close to the fury x if they overclock really well out of the box with the custom pcbs / voltage control ?

Soldato
is it possible that these could outperform or get close to the fury x if they overclock really well out of the box with the custom pcbs / voltage control ?

In actual gaming, yes.
you always have a diminishing return with entusiast end.
while benchmarks can show a huge difference in actual gameplay you wont notice difference and if you dont notice difference its like having one ssd then buy a new ssd and there is no diffference then you are just buying the same performance often for more money.
if the difference is within a few fps its equal gaming performance.

Back
Top Bottom