• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon FURY thread

Soldato
Godlike card at perfect price performance this be a seller for sure

Yeah I agree. 12% faster at minimum than the 980 and could be the same price. And that's the bread and butter in graphics card sales, the mid range.

I want two but I want blowers, so I'll hold out for now. Still gonna stick to my £300 each thinger though :D

Soldato
Yeah I agree. 12% faster at minimum than the 980 and could be the same price. And that's the bread and butter in graphics card sales, the mid range.

I want two but I want blowers, so I'll hold out for now. Still gonna stick to my £300 each thinger though :D

Depends on the resolution though. The Fury does worse than the 980 across the board at 1080p. So for those of us with only 1080p monitors the 980 is the better choice in all regards it seems.

Maybe this will cause Nvidia to drop the 980 price a bit though, to compete with the people who want a cheaper card for higher resolutions.

Soldato
Odd the Fury drawing more than the Fury X...

Not odd at all. Power draw is related to GPU temperature. A GPU air cooled at 80DC uses significantly more power than the exact same GPU watercolled running at 50DC.

The reason for this is leakage - something that is getting out of hand with each smaller process node. CPU's behave the exact same way too - the cooler they run, the less power they draw.

Associate

The likes of GTX 980 are midrange now? :D

According to the rumours yesterday, there won't be any blower types, or ANY other types for that matter, as Sapphire and Asus are the only AIB partners releasing this SKU.

Associate
Seems like a decent card provides very good competition in the GTX 980 area. The only problem is that £450 may be a bit too much at the moment, considering the 980Ti is £500 here. Although in reality, we'll probably see the Fury price a bit lower at some places and dropping to sub £400 when the initial demand has passed.

Soldato
Not odd at all. Power draw is related to GPU temperature. A GPU air cooled at 80DC uses significantly more power than the exact same GPU watercolled running at 50DC.

The reason for this is leakage - something that is getting out of hand with each smaller process node. CPU's behave the exact same way too - the cooler they run, the less power they draw.

Good point something I hadn't considered. I was thinking purely along the lines of gpu grunt.

Looks a better buy than the Fury X if the price is right. Doesn't appear to be much in it at 1440p. 4K is still really aimed at the multi card setups for the higher settings. Even add an AMD supporter I'd be long for more than 4GB for XF 4K cards.

Soldato
These are looking very nice indeed. When price settles this may be the card for moi. Just not sure if I can wait, the 980 Ti is very tempting at around £499 for REF and £535 with custom cooler.. Hmm. That ASUS Fury though, it looks awesome.

Let’s clear the air right off the bat: While the Radeon Fury isn’t quite as capable as the Fury X or the GTX 980 Ti—though it comes close—it pummels the GTX 980 in many games, and it’s a dead heat in the handful of titles where it’s close. Heck, you could even feasibly use this for single-card 4K resolution gaming for today’s games, but if you do you’d definitely want to invest in a FreeSync panel to smooth things out. The GTX 980 and R9 390X simply don’t offer that.

Soldato
Seems like a decent card provides very good competition in the GTX 980 area. The only problem is that £450 may be a bit too much at the moment, considering the 980Ti is £500 here. Although in reality, we'll probably see the Fury price a bit lower at some places and dropping to sub £400 when the initial demand has passed.

Agreed. At £399 I'd go for it if I was after a card now. At £450 I'd save up and buy a 980Ti at £499.

Caporegime
NVidia will probably just price cut GTX980 to undercut it, GTX980 is a far cheaper card to manufacturer than the Fury ever will be so they have plenty of room to manouvre.

Odd the Fury drawing more than the Fury X...

They're probably the worst of the dies, leak more so pull more power etc. That probably explains why they're non-reference designs as well.

Last edited:
Associate
As I've said this seems to make the 390x irrelevant as it outperforms it and draws slightly less power at around the same price bracket and both are seemingly competing with the gtx 980

Soldato
There you have it: Despite rocking a cut-down version of AMD’s hulking new Fiji GPU, the Asus Strix Fury still packs a hell of a punch, landing closer to the GTX 980 Ti in terms of performance than the GTX 980 in general

Out of the box, the Fury delivers exactly what you’d want out of a card with its price point. For $50 more than the GTX 980, it offers a solid jump in performance. The Radeon Fury is unequivocally a superior 2560x1440 gaming option, period.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2946...er-is-amds-geforce-gtx-980-slayer.html?page=3

Good stuff. Release is 14th.

Back
Top Bottom