• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon FURY thread

Associate
JayzTwoCents Fury review
This is one hell of a quiet card.

Yes good review and that thing is cazy quite apart from the coil whine;)

And noise is something i'm taking into consideration in my upgrade , i want gone the with the jet engine sound , i've even removed some fans from my case as they were just unnecessary;)

Soldato
Yes good review and that thing is cazy quite apart from the coil whine;)

And noise is something i'm taking into consideration in my upgrade , i want gone the with the jet engine sound , i've even removed some fans from my case as they were just unnecessary;)

Yeah the coil whine is odd, personally I couldn't hear it in the video with my headphones on. Guess it was more pronounced due to the open bench and him right next to it.

My main issue with the card is it's a tad too thick for some 2 way, and certainly 3-4 way Crossfire. For instance even in only 2 way XFIRE it wouldn't fit in my chassis as the bottom card would only fit if I removed my SSD's.

Other than that it's a sweet looking and performing card. Now if only they allowed Sapphire and others to make custom air cooled Fury X cards. Seems this Tri-X cooler would easily handle the Fury X.

Associate
They tested the 980 ti v the fury x and pushed settings up until the vram crapped out, the furyx went first whist the ti remained playable.

As much as i don't want to be put off by the 4gb vram ,, i keep reading things like this and ,, well i don't know what to make of it all:confused::confused: ... Im dying to jump over to AMD so i can use the freesync feature of my monitor , the rez is 2560x1440p
and i so scared that i'm going to be running into vram issues now and in the next 24 months , i don't know which card to buy :confused::confused::confused: ....

I could just get a gtx 980 ti and wait for AMD next revision of the fury HBM and hope it has the 8gb vram :):):):)

Permabanned
I call PEBKAC as I'm running 4K and let me tell you, you need three or more gpus to achieve playable settings using more than 4GB of video memory. That is unless you don't mind playing in a slideshow to prove a point.

Having watched videos of ram usage the Fury x seems to compress between a tenth and 2 tenths better than ddr5 cards like the Ti and TX. so basically the Fury seems to use around it's 4gb limit when a Tx or Ti uses roughly 4 and a half to 5 gb's of there ram for the same thing. There are several instances of the limits being reached in single card gaming. So I don't see that being impossible. Personally I'd be inclined to want more fps than the 30 odd there probably averaging to get that ram usage but if there happy with that console level of performance then sure they could be hitting the limits and seeing negative results from the 4gb on the Fury.

Permabanned
As much as i don't want to be put off by the 4gb vram ,, i keep reading things like this and ,, well i don't know what to make of it all:confused::confused: ... Im dying to jump over to AMD so i can use the freesync feature of my monitor , the rez is 2560x1440p
and i so scared that i'm going to be running into vram issues now and in the next 24 months , i don't know which card to buy :confused::confused::confused: ....

I could just get a gtx 980 ti and wait for AMD next revision of the fury HBM and hope it has the 8gb vram :):):):)

The Fury X/Fury and there ram will be fine for 2560 x 1440 gaming.

Caporegime
They tested the 980 ti v the fury x and pushed settings up until the vram crapped out, the furyx went first whist the ti remained playable.

I can feel a video coming on.

Having watched videos of ram usage the Fury x seems to compress between a tenth and 2 tenths better than ddr5 cards like the Ti and TX. so basically the Fury seems to use around it's 4gb limit when a Tx or Ti uses roughly 4 and a half to 5 gb's of there ram for the same thing. There are several instances of the limits being reached in single card gaming. So I don't see that being impossible. Personally I'd be inclined to want more fps than the 30 odd there probably averaging to get that ram usage but if there happy with that console level of performance then sure they could be hitting the limits and seeing negative results from the 4gb on the Fury.

Can you share a link to these videos?

Still waiting to see games whereby you can use more than 4GB of HBM with a Fury/Fury X and keep playable FPS.

Caporegime

It is also something that will likely become more noticeable in the future as games increase their asset quality for 4K gaming.

It is also something that might get much worse with DX12 since with lower overheads, reduced context switching costs for textures, increased draw call performance etc DX12 will be able to render more unique textures and objects much faster than DX 11 can. That also means there would be far more assets in vram.

It will always be game dependent, anything with a long draw distance in an open world type setting like GTAV is also going to be a memory hog due to the number of unique objects being rendered.

Soldato
No data at all to back it up, what a surprise. 4K video uploading.

I await a 1x980TI user to post a video at 4K using maximum possible settings and keeping playable fps whilst using more than 4GB of memory. (quote from pcper)

It won't happen because it's FUD. :)

Notice he says we "could" do such and such and not we did do such and such. Clearly waffling.

Caporegime
No data at all to back it up, what a surprise. 4K video uploading.

I await a 1x980TI user to post a video at 4K using maximum possible settings and keeping playable fps whilst using more than 4GB of memory. (quote from pcper)

It won't happen because it's FUD. :)

There are plenty of videos on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_wNEOviaeE

And even if we take your word for it then put 2 GPUs in Xfire/SLI and they will have the performance but the FuryX will hit its vram limit and stutter before the 980Ti.

Caporegime
I've seen a video with hitching before on 4k using a Fury X (and the guy stated that his Ti had no such problems).

Are they all lying?

So a hitch now automatically means 4GB is not enough in scenario X?

Notice he says we "could" do such and such and not we did do such and such. Clearly waffling.

Never let the truth get in the way. :p

There are plenty of videos on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_wNEOviaeE

And even if we take your word for it then put 2 GPUs in Xfire/SLI and they will have the performance but the FuryX will hit its vram limit and stutter before the 980Ti.

He's playing at 25 FPS though?

His GTA V 4K video was interesting. He was playing with an unstable overclock (black screens) and he was using x8 reflection MSAA at 4K, again 25-30 FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hnuj1OZAJs

Still waiting to see an example of playable FPS here Raven.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom