• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Anyone gonna get one/two of these from a well overclocked 970 mine does +215/+630 (Core/Mem) so not sure how much improvement gonna see in terms of fps at 1080p

tbf time to upgrade vram anyways

Im wondering if AMDs so called new features include better crossfire performance "premium crossfire" Ill decide on 29th once reviews are up.. either 2x rx480 or save for a 1070/80

The only person who is comparing the 480 to an overclocked 980TI is you, just you, your having a go at people for doing something only you are doing.

You completely misread my post back there Gibbo or you being really quite dishonest now by carrying on as if I said the 480 will match the overclocked 980TI knowing full well I said no such thing.

I still don't see how anyone can sit there and say another 390X to replace the 390X is a great thing, unless its £150 for the 8GB one, this is AMD's third card of the the same in the same price bracket.
I expected it to be at least a bit faster to give existing 970/80 390/X some more performance to entice them to it, but I guess not.
Performance always cascades down the segments, so low-end now matches what was high-end a long time ago, while mid-range matches high-end from more recently etc.

A card that has the same raw power as a 390X but costs less and has newer features in the midrange is great. Yes, it's not a card for existing 390X users to jump on. But for anyone on an older card or buying new for whatever reason it's a great development.

Compare it with the 960 and the 380X. It's in a similar price range but is massively faster. Yes, if you want to push to 8GB then it gets more expensive, but that's a choice. It's not just better performance/dollar compared to release prices of the cards it's competing against, it's much better than the prices they're at now. Which makes it a good release for everyone looking at that market segment.

If the leaked benchmarks aren't false and the retail price is £200 for a 4Gb model that's going to be a tough sell IMO.

OCUK have in the past sold 290's £199 and given how close the 290 and 290X are on performance and this RX480 replacing them at £200 it doesn't seem that great a deal.

Those aren't launch prices though, i bought my 7870 for £230 which is the range that this RX480 falls into. And it will certainly have performance greater than a 290X, knocking between a 390X and Nano.

Pretty much, the other thing is that over the years as Nvidia has no doubt improved the design, the 980Ti's ability to overclock improved along with AIBs deciding to just offer them clocked at 1200mhz as a base clock.

From what i remember of when it launched most 980ti maxed out around ~1200 when overclocking, while most would boost to around 1100ish mhz. it is only near the end of its life now that we see 1400-1500mhz parts.

They have always been able to do 1400 - 1500mhz even my old TitanXs can do that.

A stock RX 480 will be inbetween 390X and Nano performance, and overclock to near FuryX and 980 Ti performance

I'd say a more sensible expectation would be that rx480 overclocked performance should be more in line with overclocked gtx980 performance (still far below 980ti performance).

AMD confirmed that 8GB price in the US is $229.99

£230 ^^^

So the suggestion is 960 / 380 owners are interested in this?

if they ain't buying 970 / 390 for £250 over the past year they ain't going to do it over the next year just because its more power efficient.

You are comparing an old card with heavy discount vs a brand new card. If it's such a bad deal, why don't you buy a 290 instead?

I might just do that but I'll wait for the reviews first.

It is a bit of eye opener seeing a 28nm card sold at the same price as a new card that's on a much smaller process which is rumoured to have very similar performance.

Pretty much, the other thing is that over the years as Nvidia has no doubt improved the design, the 980Ti's ability to overclock improved along with AIBs deciding to just offer them clocked at 1200mhz as a base clock.

From what i remember of when it launched most 980ti maxed out around ~1200 when overclocking, while most would boost to around 1100ish mhz. it is only near the end of its life now that we see 1400-1500mhz parts.

Nope they boosted out the box over 1200MHz at launch on reference cards and overclocked to around 1400-1500MHz at launch on reference cards.

Do you people make it up? Read the launch threads posted by myself and owners when product come out before posting false information please, as no 980Ti has ever had a max OC of 1200MHz!!!!! :)

EVGA even at launch did an SC 980Ti reference with a stock minimum boost of 1190MHz and most of these hit 1280MHz out the box with no OC applied and were all doing 1400+ when overcloced, again at launch back in May 2016.

Nope, that's Tonga, and GCN 1.2. The 390/X are the same architecture as 290/X (GCN 1.1) and do not have this feature. So ironically, the Tonga-based 380 has memory compression, but the 390X does not.

Look at the series here: Grenada is basically Hawaii, so it's GCN1.1.

480 will very likely have an overall faster memory subsystem than the 390X in spite of the smaller bus. And remember even in raw performance, the 390X use slower memory so it's not like 512bit bus is twice as fast as 256bit bus. The actual speeds come out at 256GB/s for 480, vs 384GB/s for the 390X. So in fact it's 50% faster in raw bandwidth (not double the bandwidth of the 480). You can definitely get close to 50% loss-less compression for most image/texture data. And don't forget the 480 will likely have larger on-die cache.

Everything indicates that in practice, the 480 memory subsystem as a whole will match the 390X very closely.

EDIT: Here's a source where it's spelled out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Core_Next#GCN_3rd_Generation_.22GCN_1.2.22_.28Volcanic_Islands.2C_R9_285.28x.29_and_Fury.2FNano.29

My bad and I honestly thought the Lossless Delta Color Compression was part of the 3 series from AMD. And yer, I am basing everything I know from AMD's slides and there could well be more power but I prefer to keep my feet firmly planted and change platform when the hype train is coming.

I guess you missed all those posts going into total damage control talking about how Gibbo doesn't know what he's talking about or couldn't know what he's talking about or whatever other way to dismiss what they're hearing because they dont like it?

And I'm not saying that Gibbo's comments should be taken as complete gospel, but somebody who is in contact with suppliers and will have the ability to discuss specs and performance and price and whatnot with others under the NDA might well know a thing or two. Just sayin...

Those posts that were after my initial post (You mean the ones where people had a weird 980Ti 20% 40% whatever argument?) Yeah, I'd not read them when I wrote it. Sorry! ;) (Maybe there were some other comments already made, I've not gone back through the pages of drivel in here to check)

He's not disputing any of the specs, so having access to the specs changes nothing at all. I'm also not saying he is wrong - I'm saying *if* you believed the most bold of the leaks previously and ignored the many contradicting leaks then why suddenly crash on the word of Gibbo. Seems contrary to me. I don't really care, given my current card is decidedly dated all of these cards are a big step up :p though I'm unlikely to be buying for a while so meh, it matters not.

£230 ^^^

if they ain't buying 970 / 390 for £250 over the past year they ain't going to do it over the next year just because its more power efficient.

Sorry but I fail to understand your logic. What else are 960/380 owners gonna buy then? A 1080? :cool:

They didn't buy 970/390 in the past year for many reasons. Maybe it was not the time to upgrade yet. Maybe they were waiting for jump to 14nm.

£230 ^^^

Not true, $229 equats to £155, add on 20% Tax = £185, add on other costs and gouging i expect to see them around £220...

Still think its a tad expensive, would be happier to see the Ref models at £200 but thats just me.

The only person who is comparing the 480 to an overclocked 980TI is you, just you, your having a go at people for doing something only you are doing.

You completely misread my post back there Gibbo or you being really quite dishonest now by carrying on as if I said the 480 will match the overclocked 980TI knowing full well I said no such thing.

I still don't see how anyone can sit there and say another 390X to replace the 390X is a great thing, unless its £150 for the 8GB one, this is AMD's third card of the the same in the same price bracket.
I expected it to be at least a bit faster to give existing 970/80 390/X some more performance to entice them to it, but I guess not.

You very clearly said an overclocked RX 480 could be around 980Ti, I was not the only one who read your post saying as such.

Don't start back tracking now, be a man and stand up for yourself and honour what you said and intended.

If you did not mean to say that, then you should be checking your threads before posting because I and several others read your posting as suggesting RX 480 when overclocked would rival a stock 980Ti.

Are you now changing your mind or suggesting something else?

Or am I the only one who read your post as suggesting that?

No one wants the 4GB blower one ^^^ what am I saying? no one wants any of them.
You're still working off this ludicrous assumption that the 390/390X-level market is 'the biggest' out there. Which is really, really baffling when you've praised the 480 for targeting the bigger mainstream market before on several occasions.

At this point, I think you simply just like to argue and are being deliberately contrarian. Or again, downplaying expectations as dramatically as you think you can in order to help the card be seen in a better light once it actually releases.

Nope they boosted out the box over 1200MHz at launch on reference cards and overclocked to around 1400-1500MHz at launch on reference cards.

Do you people make it up? Read the launch threads posted by myself and owners when product come out before posting false information please, as no 980Ti has ever had a max OC of 1200MHz!!!!! :)

EVGA even at launch did an SC 980Ti reference with a stock minimum boost of 1190MHz and most of these hit 1280MHz out the box with no OC applied and were all doing 1400+ when overcloced, again at launch back in May 2016.

Not making it up, i was sure that they hit around 1200mhz, although that might have been from them boosting over their rated max boost rather than a hard overclock.

I got my stock 980ti on release and it boosts to 1200mhz out of the box and clocks to over 1500mhz. Same as most other 980TIs, overclocks of 1450mhz and up is fairly normal for any 980TI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom