• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

£230 ^^^

So the suggestion is 960 / 380 owners are interested in this?

if they ain't buying 970 / 390 for £250 over the past year they ain't going to do it over the next year just because its more power efficient.

I just noticed your sig, it says "CryEngine Fanboi". Do you happen to have a CryEngine chip implanted in your head? Lol. All this crying and disappointment because it did not meet your hyped expectations. All this black or white view of the world. Dude, there are shades of gray too and not everyone thinks like you.

I get your frustration, it likely stems from the lack of performance jump we are getting from 14/16nm node, and to be honest I share that. But it is what it is. You either accept it and wait for Vega or you over pay for 1070.

But then again, with your 970 being so close to a 1070 as you mentioned earlier, you might as well get a 1080. Lol. But don't be surprised if when you go to sell the 1080 you make around a £200 loss in 9 months time when the proper 14/16nm cards come out. Lol :p

All of this aside, will you be putting the parts up for pre order with prices a few days before launch? or is the NDA supposed to keep everything under wraps till then? seeing how some retailers have put some rough prices up already.

We shall be following AMD's guidelines strictly. :)

oh crap, i really dont wanna call anyone idiot, but i would love to see anyone talking about 220-250£ to break the price down to me from 229$, i understand the gouging is possible , but come on thats like 40-50% markup.

380 cards from newegg and ocUK just compare original price before rebate, usualy 199$ cards end up 170£, and 230$ end up 190£.

just for comparaison purpose, beside it's a US retailer, not like if it's competition :D.

Personally I figured similar prices to the 1070s launch. $399 in the US = £399 in the uk.

So makes sense to me that $230 would = £230, and with any initial stock shortages I expect to see £250 averages.

Actual exchange rates seem to mean very little!

Well most 390X's are going for more like £300. And if the reference 480 8GB still performs at the 390X-level for £200-220, that's a decent improvement in performance-for-the-dollar.

Anymore than £220 and I'll probably be out. Not because more than that will be a bad deal, but as I have a 970, I need it to be as affordable as possible to justify it.

I dont think ocuk have any at £300+ and remember im only speaking about what humbugs on about (i hope) by him saying ignore the blower cards so dont include the cheaper of the 480s but the ones from AIB with 2-3 fans on which might be 250+ (which is around 390x prices) which i think he was on about as he is i think under the impression now that the 480 AIB with good coolers wont be beating the 390x and if it did not by a lot so why bother i think he is getting at. Unless im wrong.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-r9-390x

True they have sold out with 1 saying preorder price tho i dunno why its not like its a new card release, preorder saying is usually for new releases, if its just out of stock say out of stock ocuk lol like the others.

Personally im just waiting till the 970s go for under 200 quid then i might buy one of them thanks to i hope the 480 release. Dont need 8gb and 3.5gb will do me as a upgrade over my 670.

Oh and if guessing prices im guessing retail cards 4gb - £189.99 and 8gb £239.99 for cheapest. Asus for some reason will be £10 more lol. When AIB with custom coolers come add on £20-30.

Last edited:
Currently powering my 3440x1440 Dell Ultrawide with 2x R9 280x. An overclocked RX480 crossfire combo might give me GTX1080 performance... for two thirds of the price. Can't wait for the NDA to be lifted to know more about real world performance of these cards.

Gibbo, are you expecting a lot of stock quick or is AMD gonna do a paper launch again?...

I just noticed your sig, it says "CryEngine Fanboi". Do you happen to have a CryEngine chip implanted in your head? Lol. All this crying and disappointment because it did not meet your hyped expectations. All this black or white view of the world. Dude, there are shades of gray too and not everyone thinks like you.

I get your frustration, it likely stems from the lack of performance jump we are getting from 14/16nm node, and to be honest I share that. But it is what it is. You either accept it and wait for Vega or you over pay for 1070.

But then again, with your 970 being so close to a 1070 as you mentioned earlier, you might as well get a 1080. Lol. But don't be surprised if when you go to sell the 1080 you make around a £200 loss in 9 months time when the proper 14/16nm cards come out. Lol :p

he is just being sarcastic.

I'll wait for the benchmarks, but Gibbo's comments are making me strongly consider the 1070 instead.

I would have stuck with the Nano, but I felt like 4gb was holding me back at 3440x1440 even with HBM.

I'm in the same position .I'm not sure if there will be benchmarks for the faster custom cards at launch. It looks like it's the same as the 1070 /1080 launch - reference only initially.

Currently powering my 3440x1440 Dell Ultrawide with 2x R9 280x. An overclocked RX480 crossfire combo might give me GTX1080 performance... for two thirds of the price. Can't wait for the NDA to be lifted to know more about real world performance of these cards.

Gibbo, are you expecting a lot of stock quick or is AMD gonna do a paper launch again?...

Stock won't be an issue. :)

I dont think ocuk have any at £300+
Huh, I could have swore I checked the other day and that's what they were going for. But yea, seems I was either mistaken or they've liquidated stock since then and changed prices.

Personally im just waiting till the 970s go for under 200 quid then i might buy one of them thanks to i hope the 480 release. Dont need 8gb and 3.5gb will do me as a upgrade over my 670.
970 is a good upgrade over a 670, that's the upgrade path I went. Still yet to find a game I couldn't play at 1080p/60fps with good settings.

oh crap, i really dont wanna call anyone idiot, but i would love to see anyone talking about 220-250£ to break the price down to me from 229$, i understand the gouging is possible , but come on thats like 40-50% markup.

Please bookmark your post to come back to on 29th (or perhaps when partner cooler cards come out) ;)

It has long been $=£ on new products - we don't operate in a costs-based model, but a market-bearing model. There are some additional overheads in the UK of course, like VAT, increased wage and shop overheads per unit sold etc. But largely we are a market that is happy to pay a bit more for tech relative to some other countries. $=£ would give probably £230 for the 8GB, then you can add an early adopter/premium logistics cost of a bit more if you like as well (if you have limited supply as a shop and you're going to sell out, you might as well sell out at a higher margin - this looks like it *won't* be the case for the 480 as much as some other products though, so hopeful on that front).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom