• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Caporegime
It's not the improvement in efficiency that's the problem, more efficiency is always better than less.

It's the fact that all of that extra efficiency has been used to lower power, rather than give more perf. All of it.

So now we've just got a really, really low power 390 instead of a ... 390.

This, one card for another "but its much more efficient" no one here cares more about frugal wattage than performance.

Soldato
Here we go again....

She is fuelled up and ready to go

all aboard ...

Just not sure the engine can take another 7 days of this will see

RichWatchfulFlyinglemur-size_restricted.gif

:D

Associate
All this improvements along with a node shrink has brought us what exactly? A card that will be 20% faster for the same price you could buy the 290 years ago?

390 was practically rebadged 290. RX480 looks from performance wise to be slightly faster than 390. Man that is some major improvements we got here.

While Nvidia gives us 50% performance increase and double the VRAM going from just the last generation. Its ok we can wait for Vega in 2017....lol

I have a stock 290, and (if the 480 delivers and gives me the same or better performance on a lower power budget) ill be getting one.

AMD are targeting a market where nvidia seem to neglect at first, a lot of people want in on VR but a £400+ card is out of reach or impractical. A £200 card that can play most VR games would A) be a better fit and B) sell better as more people can afford this.

Now a lot of people argue that if you spend £600-700 on VR equipment you will fork out another £400-500 on an amazing GPU, i don't think thats the case. Also remember there will be a lot more VR headsets out in a few months that will drive the prices of these down a fair bit (Vive and Rift are only expensive as the market only has 2 silly priced options)

Also iv seen many people on here say "go buy a 970", sure but they are only cheap as they are the last of stock that needs to be shifted .... that and the limited VRAM. The 980 (performance that looks to be on par with the 480 information we have) is still at £300 :/

Soldato
For goodness sake Humbug, give it a rest with this garbage. The card isn't for you, so move on and stop spouting rubbish please.

I dont think he realises how foolish/childish he has made himself look.
Makes lots of stupid claims and assumptions...

Easy to grasp that even a 390X performance level with all the mentioned benefits it brings. Importantly this card not being restricted by sheer power/heat like the 390X was and coming in under £250, potentially closer to £200 is something to be happy about.
He wants to join the big boys club but you need it seems £400/£450 to get in not £300 and aim for a fast 980Ti card or something like the upcoming Zotac AMP Extreme 1070.

Caporegime
Argue my points with me instead of attacking me personally, I don't do that to you. I just make my points ^^^^

I have a stock 290, and (if the 480 delivers and gives me the same or better performance on a lower power budget) ill be getting one.

AMD are targeting a market where nvidia seem to neglect at first, a lot of people want in on VR but a £400+ card is out of reach or impractical. A £200 card that can play most VR games would A) be a better fit and B) sell better as more people can afford this.

Now a lot of people argue that if you spend £600-700 on VR equipment you will fork out another £400-500 on an amazing GPU, i don't think thats the case. Also remember there will be a lot more VR headsets out in a few months that will drive the prices of these down a fair bit (Vive and Rift are only expensive as the market only has 2 silly priced options)

Also iv seen many people on here say "go buy a 970", sure but they are only cheap as they are the last of stock that needs to be shifted .... that and the limited VRAM. The 980 (performance that looks to be on par with the 480 information we have) is still at £300 :/

All good points your making but I think your missing something, look at the 1070 performance, yes its £100+ more expensive but the thing is vastly faster, its like AMD's 750TI, literally, but at a much higher price point, its at a price point where current 390/X 970/80 owners are looking to spend for an upgrade, only that's not what it is, its a side grade at best.
that may be what you want, It may be what thousands of others want and I can respect that.

But I think by enlarge people will feel that AMD have let them down, to put it politely.

So now go back to that 1070 performance, don't you think Nvidia could and would launch a 1060 that is good enough and a cost where basically Nvidia are able to largely deny AMD sales, again?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Which IMO isn't really good enough, its just replacing one card in a price bracket with another.

With the new processing node we all expected to get more for less, especially after 4 years of 28nm.

Sure the price of those 28nm cards has come down a bit in those years but they are still expensive, the mid range card is still £300 while the same card 2 years earlier was what £400? I don't know i'm just guessing but that was very much overpriced.

To launch the same level card for about the same money moving from 28nm to 14nm its a bit of a kick in the teeth frankly.

Well you did say that even if it was only 390 performance, it was still a great card for the money but now it is a kick in the teeth? I really don't understand your logic and I can see this card for what it is and who it is aimed at. It clearly isn't aimed at you or ever was. AMD haven't suddenly tanked performance and we knew from early on what performance was going to be like. This card will be a great seller and I am really hoping to get hold of one and give it a good play and see what is what and at $200, I don't mind spending that.

Associate
This, one card for another "but its much more efficient" no one here cares more about frugal wattage than performance.

Tell that to all the reviewers that blasted Hawaii to infinity and beyond. An awesome GPU that was 'hot, loud and a power hog'. A GPU destroyed by Nvidia bias driven review sites.

Caporegime
Well you did say that even if it was only 390 performance, it was still a great card for the money but now it is a kick in the teeth? I really don't understand your logic and I can see this card for what it is and who it is aimed at. It clearly isn't aimed at you or ever was. AMD haven't suddenly tanked performance and we knew from early on what performance was going to be like. This card will be a great seller and I am really hoping to get hold of one and give it a good play and see what is what and at $200, I don't mind spending that.

I don't think I ever said that Greg, where? Link please...

Tell that to all the reviewers that blasted Hawaii to infinity and beyond. An awesome GPU that was 'hot, loud and a power hog'. A GPU destroyed by Nvidia bias driven review sites.

Yeah I was one of them, but I also recognised it was the reference cooler that was the problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
Argue my points with me instead of attacking me personally, I don't do that to you. I just make my points ^^^^

Again it wasn't an argument it was giving a personal opinion based on the accumulation of other peoples responses to you and the fact that many have raised also regards your varying silly comments.
Pause for a moment and think, yet you cant help yourself it seems nor just wait at least to full results of the card are available to then make a proper evaluation like a sensible person would.

I dont think people here looking to buy need your advice on what is or is not important, or what makes this a poor card or an ideal card for them...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Again it wasn't an argument it was giving a personal opinion based on the accumulation of other peoples responses to you and the fact that many have raised also regards your varying silly comments.
Pause for a moment and think, yet you cant help yourself it seems nor just wait at least to full results of the card are available to then make a proper evaluation like a sensible person would.

Your argument is with me again, not with the subject, i'll stick with the subject, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it.

If you don't want to debate the subject, don't read it.

I'd just like to get on and enjoy the subject debate, please :)

Caporegime
I don't think I ever said that Greg, where? Link please...

390X/980+ performance, £180.

Thats astonishing.

The end/

For $200 it would take a lot of deflation for people to be disappointed ^^^^ worst case its as fat that 390 and overclocks 10%, for $200 thats still one hell of a card.

Do we have to go back though the pages to pull up the later 3DMark submissions?

I did quote you earlier but you must have missed it but here it is again with another quote for good measure :)

Associate
You should link to the correct graphs:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1070/26.html
At 4K the reference 1070 will have improved price-performance over the 970 by 24% (118/95).

Things aren't as good at 1080P, this highlights the improvements nvidia has done to delta compression and so on to increase effective bandwidth.

Without prices disclosed those graphs are not particularily useful, and wont take into account subsequent price movements.

Also the original topic was in perf/£ rather than dollars, so taking UK pricing direct from UK retailors removes additional margin of error. Unless I have badly miscalculated then those numbers given are how it is in the UK as of 21/06/16. (anyone feel free to run the numbers, provided in the post an which I consider very fair, and if I made an error please correct).

The original context of discussion also led from the question "You think the best they can do is give us the same price/perf we got with 28nm" in a market that has undergone price adjustment that effects how the 1080 and 480 compare with their respective predecessors.

For these reasons that graph is not appropriate.

Associate
should we really include fury and its variants in the AMD line up when we talk about things? it was an experiment and i cant recall there being cards of that range in all the other series of AMD releases... so we should only use 90 variants.

they are just totally different cards. not based on much of the same.

will AMD go back to the 90 and 90X models or will they continue to do a "insert name you think sounds awesome here" model?

the rx480 is not a 290/390/X replacement its a 280 or 380 replacement inst it? just like the 1070 and 1080 are 970 and 980 replacements. them performing better than the rest of the line up is a bonus not a requirement of the "middle" card.

anyway im looking forward to it. 25% more than my 970 will be great but im waiting for xmas anyway.

Caporegime
should we really include fury and its variants in the AMD line up when we talk about things? it was an experiment and i cant recall there being cards of that range in all the other series of AMD releases... so we should only use 90 variants.

they are just totally different cards. not based on much of the same.

will AMD go back to the 90 and 90X models or will they continue to do a "insert name you think sounds awesome here" model?

the rx480 is not a 290/390/X replacement its a 280 or 380 replacement inst it? just like the 1070 and 1080 are 970 and 980 replacements. them performing better than the rest of the line up is a bonus not a requirement of the "middle" card.

anyway im looking forward to it. 25% more than my 970 will be great but im waiting for xmas anyway.

If its 25% more than my 970 I will be buying it too but the information we have right now is its not that, it might not even be a 970.

There in lays a huge problem for me with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom