• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Caporegime
Except we now learnt its not 980/390X+ for £180.

Its not even a 390X+

So yes, circumstance changed, my opinion changed.

Did you entirely miss the other part he quoted you saying, where you said if it's just a 390 that overclocks by 10% then for $200 it's great. On top of that you seem to have gone from Gibbo saying it won't match a 980ti, to it must be worse than a 390x... how exactly?

Soldato
Just a reminder to everyone that the RX 480 is the successor to the 380x and not the 390x. Also, it sits at the mid-range price point of $199 USD and will cost less in Her majesties currency.

I may post this on every page until release or until an admin asks me to stop :)

Caporegime
Did you entirely miss the other part he quoted you saying, where you said if it's just a 390 that overclocks by 10% then for $200 it's great. On top of that you seem to have gone from Gibbo saying it won't match a 980ti, to it must be worse than a 390x... how exactly?

Gibbo said its upto a 980, so slower

Anyway, i think I did, do you think that's good?

Soldato
Your argument is with me again, not with the subject, i'll stick with the subject, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it.

If you don't want to debate the subject, don't read it.

I'd just like to get on and enjoy the subject debate, please :)

As you said please....

Id rather not have a debate with someone making stupid personal claims that are in no way what everyone's opinion will be nor are yet proven. Here are some of your offerings.

• DX12 isnt important!
  • Card is pathetic, disappointing, going to be a failure etc
  • No better than a 390
  • No one cares about heat or wattage

Not one of these for me can I agree with so lets agree to disagree.
Yet why do I feel you will continue and utter more nonsense then question why people are on your case...

Last edited:
Associate
The levels of fails AMD would have produced if it isn't even better that a 970 would be so astronomically high I'm not sure that's a viable outcome.

Unless it's like £150 quid or something.

Associate
Intel Fights Record $1.2 Billion Antitrust Fine at Top EU Court

unrelated but for ppl who want to read, i did not follow this but did AMD get any money from that 1.2b$ in 2009, or is intel still dragging it out ?
Source bloomberg
Intel Corp. attacked the European Commission for being unfair in a probe that led to a record 1.06 billion-euro ($1.2 billion) fine.

The key issue in the investigation was loyalty rebates to lower retail prices, Daniel Beard, a lawyer for Intel, told the European Union’s Court of Justice in Luxembourg on Tuesday. But the European Commission failed to analyze “all relevant circumstances” to see if the rebates shut out rivals, he said.

The world’s biggest chipmaker is making a final attempt to overturn the penalty doled out in 2009 for unfairly squeezing out Advanced Micro Devices Inc. No date for a ruling has been set.

Two years ago, the EU General Court rejected Intel’s first appeal. That ruling was a timely boost to the Brussels-based European Commission, which is embroiled in lengthy probes of search engine giant Google and chip designer Qualcomm Inc. Regulators say Google gave financial incentives to telecommunications operators and phone makers that install its search app. They also allege Qualcomm paid a smartphone and tablet manufacturer to mostly use its chips.
Large Market Share

The Intel case concerns whether a company with a very large market share “can pursue a commercial strategy, the focus of which is the marginalization or even the elimination of its only competitor,” the commission’s lawyer Nicholas Khan told the court Tuesday.

The evidence shows that the rebates prevented computer makers from seeking out lower prices “that might have been available,” he said.

The EU’s antitrust regulator in its decision said Intel had obstructed competition by giving rebates to computer makers from 2002 until 2005 on the condition that they buy at least 95 percent of chips for personal computers from Intel. Intel then imposed “restrictive conditions” for the remaining 5 percent, supplied by AMD, which struggled to overcome its rival’s hold on the market for PC processors, the EU said.

The computer makers coaxed to not use AMD’s chips included Acer Inc., Dell, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co., Lenovo Group Ltd. and NEC Corp., the commission said in 2009. The EU also said Intel made payments to electronics retailer Media Markt on the condition that it only sell Intel-based PCs. The EU also ordered Intel to stop using illegal rebates to thwart competitors, an instruction that Intel complained was unclear.

Caporegime
Except we now learnt its not 980/390X+ for £180.

Its not even a 390X+

So yes, circumstance changed, my opinion changed.

How do you know it isn't around a 390X performance? And you quite clearly stated that "For $200 it would take a lot of deflation for people to be disappointed ^^^^ worst case its as fat that 390 and overclocks 10%, for $200 thats still one hell of a card." Which I agree with.

I seriously expect this 480 to be as fast as a 390X and possibly slightly faster out the box. It might take some time with drivers but with arch improvements, I doubt we will see a regression and more progression.

You got pulled up by Gibbo for getting yourself all hyped up and you was kidding yourself that it would be trading blows with a 1080.Titan X etc and even claimed that the AIB cards would be faster than a Titan X, which to me was hilarious reading but the fact is, we don't actually know what the performance will be.

Just don't get so worked up in future and then you won't look so silly is my advice. Hardware is fun and not life brother ;)

Associate
I will be buying one of these cards.Prices more than expected with USD to Can.
With price cuts on R9 390x/980GTX -50-250 bucks less than R9 390x/980GTX.

Pre order-Gigabyte VCX GV-RX480D5-8GD-100 bucks more after conversion USD to Can
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=AS2222184264

Pre order-XFX VCX RX480M8BFA6 RX 480 8GB-65 bucks more after conversion USD to Can
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=AS2222184288

Pre order-RX480-8G-55 bucks more after conversion USD to Can
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=SY5670546

Caporegime
As you said please....

Id rather not have a debate with someone making stupid personal claims that are in no way what everyone's opinion will be nor are yet proven. Here are some of your offerings.

• DX12 isnt important!
  • Card is pathetic, disappointing, going to be a failure etc
  • No better than a 390
  • No one cares about heat or wattage

So you disagree with me, I don't take that personally.

Soldato
If its 25% more than my 970 I will be buying it too but the information we have right now is its not that, it might not even be a 970.

There in lays a huge problem for me with it.

The 5.8 teraflops is 390X level so no way will this be slower than a 970. The 470 is about 970 performance.
Theoretically it's 390X but early 3dmark results say it's a bit faster so around Nano performance.

Since you got a 970 then go buy a 1070 if you think the 480 is too weak. Why spam this thread all day.

Caporegime
We all hope so ^^^^ no one, least of all me want to be in a situation where we have no upgrade path, again.

unrelated but for ppl who want to read, i did not follow this but did AMD get any money from that 1.2b$ in 2009, or is intel still dragging it out ?
Source bloomberg
Intel Corp. attacked the European Commission for being unfair in a probe that led to a record 1.06 billion-euro ($1.2 billion) fine.

The key issue in the investigation was loyalty rebates to lower retail prices, Daniel Beard, a lawyer for Intel, told the European Union’s Court of Justice in Luxembourg on Tuesday. But the European Commission failed to analyze “all relevant circumstances” to see if the rebates shut out rivals, he said.

The world’s biggest chipmaker is making a final attempt to overturn the penalty doled out in 2009 for unfairly squeezing out Advanced Micro Devices Inc. No date for a ruling has been set.

Two years ago, the EU General Court rejected Intel’s first appeal. That ruling was a timely boost to the Brussels-based European Commission, which is embroiled in lengthy probes of search engine giant Google and chip designer Qualcomm Inc. Regulators say Google gave financial incentives to telecommunications operators and phone makers that install its search app. They also allege Qualcomm paid a smartphone and tablet manufacturer to mostly use its chips.
Large Market Share

The Intel case concerns whether a company with a very large market share “can pursue a commercial strategy, the focus of which is the marginalization or even the elimination of its only competitor,” the commission’s lawyer Nicholas Khan told the court Tuesday.

The evidence shows that the rebates prevented computer makers from seeking out lower prices “that might have been available,” he said.

The EU’s antitrust regulator in its decision said Intel had obstructed competition by giving rebates to computer makers from 2002 until 2005 on the condition that they buy at least 95 percent of chips for personal computers from Intel. Intel then imposed “restrictive conditions” for the remaining 5 percent, supplied by AMD, which struggled to overcome its rival’s hold on the market for PC processors, the EU said.

The computer makers coaxed to not use AMD’s chips included Acer Inc., Dell, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co., Lenovo Group Ltd. and NEC Corp., the commission said in 2009. The EU also said Intel made payments to electronics retailer Media Markt on the condition that it only sell Intel-based PCs. The EU also ordered Intel to stop using illegal rebates to thwart competitors, an instruction that Intel complained was unclear.

I do find that interesting but its too much to take in right now, i'll read it later, thanks for posting it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I will be buying one of these cards.Prices more than expected with USD to Can.
With price cuts on R9 390x/980GTX -50-250 bucks less than R9 390x/980GTX.

Pre order-Gigabyte VCX GV-RX480D5-8GD-100 bucks more after conversion USD to Can
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=AS2222184264

Pre order-XFX VCX RX480M8BFA6 RX 480 8GB-65 bucks more after conversion USD to Can
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=AS2222184288

Pre order-RX480-8G-55 bucks more after conversion USD to Can
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=SY5670546

As always I'll point out, people add them with higher than expected prices in 99% of cases.

I genuinely forget the card though I think it was the 290x, Gibbo himself had information directly from AMD that said the cards would be way more expensive than expected and laughed at our guesses at prices... then found out AMD dropped the prices they told everyone a day or two before launch and the prices were what we expected and not what he did.

Look at the leaks that happen, AMD as well as many other companies put out false information to work out who is leaking and to keep Nvidia guessing.

Soldato
I did think this until the rumoured 490 never appeared.

I'm starting to think this is indeed a 390X successor and Vega is just going to be RX Fury 2 or some such weirdness.

Nah, Price point says it all, it's $199USD, which is the lowest launch price you can get on AMDs mid range parts over the last 4 years, A mid-range part can be considerably higher than $199 at launch.

Soldato
I did quote you earlier but you must have missed it but here it is again with another quote for good measure :)

I come back to this thread to read the same drama queen still posting up, well, drivel, really. Making sweeping generalisations about what he thinks others want, and he can't even remember some the stuff he posts because he has changed his stance so often.

he says he wants a reasoned debate on the subject? How the hell can you have a reasoned debate with a guy who one minute claims it would be great at 390 performance and the next minute he is calling it rubbish. Who said that nobody would buy 4GB now and the a few posts later said he would buy the 970 instead of the 8GB 480. And not only that, but also claimed his 970oc was near 980ti performance!!

Could go on, but, you get the point. How can there be a reasoned discussion with that???

I am fully in agreement with Seanspeed, It's all some kind of act.

He's not said that at all. And you know it.

Stop acting like some shell-shocked soldier who cant think straight. You understand what's going on. Stop pretending you dont. It's getting ****ing old.

Humbug, stop with the sweeping statements. Don't include me in your bizarre rants.

Nobody wants 4GB
Wrong, lots of people will buy 4GB cards and they will be perfect.

Nobody cares about power useage,
Again wrong, lots of people do, especially in this segment of the market.

Nobody will want these cards
Care to bet? Come on put your money where your mouth is.

Soldato
The 5.8 teraflops is 390X level so no way will this be slower than a 970. The 470 is about 970 performance.
Theoretically it's 390X but early 3dmark results say it's a bit faster so around Nano performance.

Yes it brings really nice performance level within a more realistic general consumer price point. Also people with older systems wont need to feel they have to buy a powerful PSU neither.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom