• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
Everyone on ocuk forums typically expecting a 980ti killer for 50quid. For 180 you can buy one of these, it performs like a 290x and can play everything at 1080p amazingly. Job done. You lot need to stop with the hype and see it for what it is. A good card at a reasonable price that we did'nt have before.

Associate
Gutted.... I only play at 1080p, this can't even hit 60fps on some games. My target was at least 70-80fps otherwise what's the point.

A more technically advanced game will come out next year and it will be even further from hitting that magical 60.

Guess ill wait for 480 AIB hopefully it will hit 980+ performance at higher clocks.

Soldato
Do people also expect next year's Honda Civic to be a BMW M3? If they do, they're going to be disappointed because that's not what it was intended to be. Likewise, the 480 wasn't intended to occupy the high-end card segment, i.e. be a successor to the 390/x. Those cards are coming out later on.

What I find funny is that no one's complaining so much that the 1070 is basically at 980ti levels and not faster when this here is the same situation.
Ok, first off, that car analogy has been tried a while back and it was ripped apart justifiably.

Cars aren't expected to be 50% faster every 2 years, for one thing.

And cars have all kinds of regulatory and creature comfort concerns that GPU's dont have to worry about whatsoever.

Their development and iterations have nothing in common with GPU progression. It's a poor analogy.

And as far as the 1070 argument goes, are you ignoring that the 1080 exists? The 1070 is a *cut down* GP104. The 480 is the full Polaris 10 chip as far as we know. Yet it's still incapable of even matching, much less besting, the previous higher tier card(390X). A card, I might remind you, that is really just a rebranded card from 2013 with more vRAM and a base clock closer to its OC'ing limits.

Soldato
Gutted.... I only play at 1080p, this can't even hit 60fps on some games. My target was at least 70-80fps otherwise what's the point.

A more technically advanced game will come out next year and it will be even further from hitting that magical 60.

Guess ill wait for 480 AIB hopefully it will hit 980+ performance at higher clocks.

May I enquire which monitor you have?

Soldato

Dont judge whether a card can hit 1080p/60fps purely by benchmarks. These benches are meant to compare cards, not judge what card can do what in a specific game necessarily.

I'd be surprised if there's many games the 480 couldn't hit 1080p/60fps with decent settings.

Soldato
Everyone on ocuk forums typically expecting a 980ti killer for 50quid. For 180 you can buy one of these, it performs like a 290x and can play everything at 1080p amazingly. Job done. You lot need to stop with the hype and see it for what it is. A good card at a reasonable price that we did'nt have before.

But 290x were only £200 in the end, so years later with a die shrink we get 290x performance for £20 less? Progress. #bettered lol

Back
Top Bottom