• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Don
Any more info about these 480s frying cheap motherboards by drawing too much current from the PCI-e slot?

Blown out of proportion I expect, as AMD would know the implications of selling an out of spec Pci-e card.

Until others come back with similar tests, it could be a mistake with their testing methodology (not making excuses, just needs confirming)

Man of Honour
OP
Blown out of proportion I expect, as AMD would know the implications of selling an out of spec Pci-e card.

Until others come back with similar tests, it could be a mistake with their testing methodology (not making excuses, just needs confirming)

I can think of a few cards that could blow up a poor mother board but the RX 480 is not one of them.

Caporegime
It could be a bit GTX 970

Simply going from 4gb to 8gb should make no difference to the bandwidth.

They are using slower chips on the 4GB cards, although apparent most 4GB cards have 8GB, just AMD turned off the extra 4GB in BIOS.

Seems like AMD really wont be selling the 4GB cards for long,

Caporegime
You must have missed my post where I did say I waiting for AIB GPUs before making the choice.

I don't buy reference designs.

Your point is? :rolleyes:

Why the rolleyes? It was a genuine question and interested if you was replacing your 290 for one. geeez, so much hostility from a few lately but don't worry, I won't ask you any more questions :rolleyes:

Soldato
I can think of a few cards that could blow up a poor mother board but the RX 480 is not one of them.

Its strange to me that this risk is even out there. If the card, or any card, needs power to give it the performance it is capable of then just give it the power connectors from the outset.

I find this whole obsession with power reduction to be a bit un-necessary really. Does anyone really care if it draws a few more watts if that gives better performance? They may as well forget optimising for power draw (within reason) and give us the performance.

And taking the card to the limit of a motherboard power supply because of trying to hit a power draw target, to me is silly.

Soldato
7GB/s is fast enough for the market this card is aimed at.

Are you sure, cause seems this card is aimed at people to call it crap, have no intention to buy it and just mock it as they have something better or faster. People on a budget are not meant to buy it and feel happy with what they can afford but instead feel like turdpolishers and belittled by smugholes.

Last edited:
Associate
YemMBhxh.jpg.png

So can anyone give me a list of 2016/2017 games that support DX12

Most of the new games with support DirectX12, however it will probably be a half-assed support of it, as developers are still mainly focusing on DirectX11 and it seems that depending on the optimization and a-sync, games work very differently on AMD and Nvidia. The real world example: AMD wins on Ashes of the Singularity and Hitman and they win by 10fps+, while Rise of the Tomb Raider has an excellent performance on nVidia, but not AMD, for some weird reason.

Soldato
The RX480 4GB was around £175 today,so not sure how £35 cheaper after a 21% stronger pound in 2014,is that bad.

So,£35 cheaper than the GTX970,but as you know the exchange rate in September 2014 was $1.62 to a pound:

http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/GBP-USD-30_09_2014-exchange-rate-history.html

ATM,it is $1.34 to a pound:

http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/Pounds-to-Dollars-currency-conversion-page.html

That is a 21% difference from when the GTX970 was launched in September 2014.

OFC,typical AMD launch timing!! :p

Trying not to use a price that lasted an hour or 2 please? :D

The exchange rate in in 2014 isn't relevant to this unless you can magically change it to match. If you can please do it. :)

So at the moment it's £22 cheaper than an equivalent GTX970, it's better, but is it better enough?

If Brexit hadn't happened chances are you be looking at £20-£30 cheaper card across the range, that would certainly make it more appealing for a decent budget gaming card. So Brexit has damaged it's launch some what.

As I said OK for new PC gamers, but is it a big enough improve over the GTX970 considering you could have had one at £250 20+ months ago for PC owners that could have gone down that route?

NB: I regret not getting a GTX970 when it was released, my GTX 670 and then 670 SLI was good, but had I known how long the GTX970 would be competitive in the price bracket (I don't think many people could say they knew it would hold it's value for so long) I would have waited for it and not gone with SLI 670's. :)

Also I'm not an Nvidia FB, my favourite card of all time was my HD5870, that card was a real bargain.

Soldato
Most of the new games with support DirectX12, however it will probably be a half-assed support of it, as developers are still mainly focusing on DirectX11 and it seems that depending on the optimization and a-sync, games work very differently on AMD and Nvidia. The real world example: AMD wins on Ashes of the Singularity and Hitman and they win by 10fps+, while Rise of the Tomb Raider has an excellent performance on nVidia, but not AMD, for some weird reason.

It's worth noting even when comparing x amount frames vs x amount on Tomb raider 480 vs 970 numbers might put the 970 ahead I'm some the results we seen so far, but that isn't the real world performance.

See this Tweet for example, frame times are so much more important than avg frame rates.

Take a look at @scottwasson's Tweet: https://twitter.com/scottwasson/status/748162402265403392?s=09

Back
Top Bottom