• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
THANK YOU AMD !!!!

In one move AMD show's there are some companies who actually cares about its customers, rather than just trying to extract as much money as possible from people.

Good move - I thought the days of awesome value for money computing were long gone.

Soldato
Given the price at $199 this should in no way be over £200, if it is that is just pure greed.

£180 max!

The 380 was around £180 so I expect this to be similar.

$199 = £137.63.
Add VAT £137.63 + 20% = £165.15

With imports costs, etc I think £180-£200 is a realistic price.
I hope they have a 480X soon. That would rival the 1070 easily although the 480 could come close if it overclocks well.

AMD has priced it fairly. Pure greed = Nvidia when you look at their prices.

Soldato
If this is about 20% faster than my 290 for £200 im all in.

My 290 is HUGE (13"+) and limits front rad space in my node 804. A nice new low power 14nm gpu would be great.

Soldato
I can't help but feel it's too little too late. I mean those who game at 1080p at the moment will pass on this, so who does this card cater for? Also a card is only as good as its drivers, lets hope AMD have decent ones.

Clearly VR. as that is what it is marketed to and 99% of what they talked about.

Also, this card will do 1440p no problem. AND there are still lots of people not getting 60fps in 1080p titles (GTAV comes to mind). This will be an upgrade for many many people. Most people don't own a 980Ti.

Caporegime
Shames its only 970/980 performance, was too much to hope that it was going to be Fury performance.

But still a very decent card and I look forward to the rest of the range.

Caporegime
Clearly VR. as that is what it is marketed to and 99% of what they talked about.

Also, this card will do 1440p no problem. AND there are still lots of people not getting 60fps in 1080p titles (GTAV comes to mind). This will be an upgrade for many many people. Most people don't own a 980Ti.

Not sure why they keep aiming it at VR, as VR needs some serious grunt in some titles and this 480 doesn't have enough of it.

Soldato
AMD has priced it fairly. Pure greed = Nvidia when you look at their prices.

I meant if it's over £200 it's UK retailer greed, I agree AMD have done an amazing job with the price and can't wait to order one.

May not be a big upgrade or even worth it from my 290 but I will get one straight away simply for the power draw.

Soldato
THANK YOU AMD !!!!

In one move AMD show's there are some companies who actually cares about its customers, rather than just trying to extract as much money as possible from people.

Good move - I thought the days of awesome value for money computing were long gone.

I have bad new for you. AMD don't care about you any more than nvidia does. They do however have to care about the state the company is in, that state is pushing them to do this. Nothing more.

That's not to take away from how great this is for people that it's targeted at. Something like 65% of people on steam still play at 1080 or under.

Soldato
I am not sure why people are surprised. It is looking like the 8GB version with DDR5 is about 50% of the 1080 at 43% of the price if you take that you can pick up at 1080 for £520 and from what has been stated that 8GB version will likely be £200 + and then you are relying on xfire performance in all games to get the same results.

Really it is about where AMD have been last few generations anyways from what I can see.

Soldato
This is essentially like the "560Ti" of the new generation that never happened again on Nvidia side, due to they greedily pushed and branded their cards to 1 tier higher with a price to match at £250+ instead of £160-£180.

The 970 and 980 should really had been 960 and 960Ti at £180-£200 and £300-£350 card (and the 980Ti should just been called 980) given they were only offering on par performance as the gen old 290 and 290x, but people got brainwashed by the very loud "efficiency drum".

One of the reason I believe why the 290 and 390 series is so power hungry is due to their hardware support for Async...and if you all remember, cards that are 380x and below seem to be much slower on the Async benches, most likely due to lacking some hardware level support for Async...so for this new budget level graphic card, it might worth waiting to see how they perform on the Async...as I think AMD might have stripped down some hardware level support for Async to make it much more efficient, thus it give them more room for performance in non-Async applications like Nvidia is doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait, are both the 4GB and 8GB models being prices at $200 or should we expect to pay slight more for the 8GB models?

Edit: Quick google says the 480 is priced between $199 and $249 which is still impressive.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the price I'd expect for ~970 level performance. AMD might have a winner here for the mid-range segment.

Doubt anyone would buy 2 for x-fire though over a slightly dearer single card solution. As soon as a game doesn't work with x-fire they'd be crying and wishing they'd gone for just 1 card. Not sure why AMD advertised it as an alternative solution given the history of x-fire and game compatibility / release day driver releases.

Associate
Seems good, I'm just wondering if there will be a RX 480x or a RX 490\x that will be out in the coming months, this is what was hinted at a business conference a while ago. But if it do get it will be a nice upgrade from my old HD 4870 1GB, been waiting for the next big card for like 4 years now and I can't wait anymore. Would have had the first and last GDDR5 cards from AMD.

Back
Top Bottom