• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX480 4GB can be flashed to 8GB version.

Soldato
But 4GB is not enough... :p

If you download OCCT that has a GPU test that lets you decide how much video memory to use. It's not pretty, but it should give you the result you are looking for.

Tried that, it's limited to 2GB

I'm not in need of more than 4GB, I do not have the rig for such res but I'm keen to know if it unlocked properly.

Caporegime
You can still read a BIOS on a dead GPU. It is EEPROM stored afaik. I had a card fail on me with a custom BIOS and I was still able to flash the card, even though it wouldn't fire up via another GPU in slot 1 and the dead card in slot 2.

Soldato
I don't need the full 8GB myself otherwise I'd have bought 8GB cards so I'm in no rush to flash them yet. No intention of using them above 1080p etc.

More likely I'll use them for as long as I need them and then flash them so they have a little more re-sale value.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't need the full 8GB myself otherwise I'd have bought 8GB cards so I'm in no rush to flash them yet. No intention of using them above 1080p etc.

More likely I'll use them for as long as I need them and then flash them so they have a little more re-sale value.

Nice to know can get it to 8 if you and when you need to though. I'm stuck on 4 :p

Soldato
Interesting article Kaap posted in the owners thread about this

MD Retail Radeon RX 480 4GB to 8GB Memory Unlock Mod Works, We Benchmarked

so are we concluding someone at AMD said, right Office Junior we need 100 review samples of 4gb cards go order them.

Office Junior to Manufacturing Office Junior, I need 100 review samples of AMD 480.

MOJ (for short) says righto

Manufacturing Foreman to MOJ says right thats the first 5000 AMD 480 8gb cards done ready to go - you did change the production line for the 8gb cards to have the 8gb BIOS after that small 4gb run didnt you ???

MOJ <gulp>

Soldato
Interesting article Kaap posted in the owners thread about this

MD Retail Radeon RX 480 4GB to 8GB Memory Unlock Mod Works, We Benchmarked

so are we concluding someone at AMD said, right Office Junior we need 100 review samples of 4gb cards go order them.

Office Junior to Manufacturing Office Junior, I need 100 review samples of AMD 480.

MOJ (for short) says righto

Manufacturing Foreman to MOJ says right thats the first 5000 AMD 480 8gb cards done ready to go - you did change the production line for the 8gb cards to have the 8gb BIOS after that small 4gb run didnt you ???

MOJ <gulp>

Doesn't even have to be that interesting.

Could simply be they needed cards out to hit their launch price promise but redoing the 8GB line to make much fewer physically different 4GB cards was going to cost them on top of making no profit on 4GB cards in the first place.

So to hit the price and get it over with they put together a restricted bios, different box and shoved a few 10,000 "4GB" cards out on the cheap.

Which would be why Gibbo was having problems getting more 4GB cards.

However he since said it was agreed to make more 4GB cards so it will be interesting to see what the second batch of 4GB cards really are and what price they come back at.

Associate
Had a chuckle this morning when looking for 4GB cards, saw a few left (gone now) on a particular rainforest website and it has the "There is a newer model of this item"
O rly? I thought, so why are you showing a GTX 960?!

Back
Top Bottom