Ramadan Mubarak

Permabanned
They could say it, its not like they are going to hell.

Quite an interesting response though, the popular opinion that muslims would not say merry christmas, I wouldnt say ramadan mubarek to muslims I know, but they wouldnt expect me to, just as I wouldnt expect them to say merry xmas to me, I wasnt really sure on the etiquette. I have some good chats with my local shopkeeper Mohammed, so I shall bring this and see what he thinks of it too.

We have many good discussions on religion and every day things, he's my goto guy for asian related matters.

All due respect, if you want to have a chin wag with someone about religion then have one with someone with knowledge on rulings (Imam) not the local shopkeeper who "probably" sells alcohol, cigarettes and top shelf magazines :rolleyes:

Soldato
All due respect, if you want to have a chin wag with someone about religion then have one with someone with knowledge on rulings (Imam) not the local shopkeeper who "probably" sells alcohol, cigarettes and top shelf magazines :rolleyes:

He doesnt sell any of that, as I said he's quite principled, which I really respect him for, he wont sell any of the things you mentioned, despite the fact he could do extremely well from them.

Permabanned
He doesnt sell any of that, as I said he's quite principled, which I really respect him for, he wont sell any of the things you mentioned, despite the fact he could do extremely well from them.

Then he's ok :D It's just that you get some who do, and obviously would give an opinionated answer based on no reasoning or textual references.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I wouldn't care if the Quran said to wish people of other religions well on their festive days or not. I'd still wish them well because it's what being a decent human being and respecting others is all about.

Anyone who says otherwise is talking rubbish IMO and is part of the problem that we have today whereby people only see the bad side of other cultures because of what they're told as opposed to what's actually right.

You don't need anything in writing to tell you to use common sense and courtesy! :/

Permabanned

Just because hes not an imam does not mean hes not knowledgable in his religion and you dont know he sells alcohol, cigarettes and top shelf magazines.

EDIT there you go.

Associate
141s1ut.jpg
A
df7nt5.jpg
2ib2bgl.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wouldn't care if the Quran said to wish people of other religions well on their festive days or not. I'd still wish them well because it's what being a decent human being and respecting others is all about.

Anyone who says otherwise is talking rubbish IMO and is part of the problem that we have today whereby people only see the bad side of other cultures because of what they're told as opposed to what's actually right.

You don't need anything in writing to tell you to use common sense and courtesy! :/

I doubt even writing would persuade most people, simply too stupid or stubborn or both.

Associate
Just wondering: How does Ramadan work North of the arctic circle, where 24-hour daylight is experienced in summer? (e.g. Northern parts of Canada, Denmark, Finland, Russia, Sweden, Alaska etc?).

Not eating / drinking for the entire 30 days is obviously impractical, so what allowances are made?

The whole fasting (and PRAYING 5 times a day) is dependent on the Sun rising and setting. If it doesnt set for long periods of times then you are not supposed to fast/pray.

I would love to try and live in these countries and experience the constant "days" feeling. It must be hard for your body to go to sleep when it is day time during "night time" too.

I would say Ramadan Mubarak to a Muslim friend, but I don't have any.

No offence mate but with your views, its not THAT surprising..

Permabanned
Starving yourself for a month or roast turkey and pancakes?

I think Paganism/Christianity wins :)
Even if you still have to give something up for Lent.

Soldato
Don't even know why some muslims fast :s. They drink and smoke and then when it comes to fast their serious about it lol. Part time muslims ha

Well quite but this isn't exclusive to Islam, most people who identify as Christian don't follow the rules of their holy book.

If they did they'd have to go around killing people for working on a Sunday.

For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.

Exodus

Soldato
Well quite but this isn't exclusive to Islam, most people who identify as Christian don't follow the rules of their holy book.

If they did they'd have to go around killing people for working on a Sunday.

Is that anybody who works on a sunday or just people following that particular religion?

Capodecina
Soldato
Not an entirely unreasonable question. If Muslims genuinely want people to see their religion in a better light, perhaps they could speak out publicly against some of its medieval beliefs and shameful apparent adherents.

The Roman Catholic Popes have always been reluctant openly to condemn the IRA and are justifiably criticised for it; exactly the same applies to those who claim to be followers of Islam.

Frankly and sadly, I can't think of any religion that isn't pretty backward in its outlook. If you choose to worship some deity, why not do it privately and in silence?

Back
Top Bottom