Rant: About noobs using on board SLR Flash

Soldato
Can't believe theres this much of a rant over someone moaning about an onboard flash,,, sometimes I wish people would just concentrate on their own game rather than anyone elses...

box

box

Associate
Also another thing, it's just the light that people like to get the attention. I mean in my graduation not long ago, a bloke sitting at the top of the balcony with his DV camera had a bloody single LED light and it was shining on everone below. Who he was shining on i dont know but it couldn't have gotten much further than the person sitting next to them!

I think you need to take a breather dude.

Soldato
you annoy me :) for making this post!

tbh i cant afford a bloody HUGE flash gun or new lens atm...

deal with it :)

I can't say that I do anything that requires a flash, but I don't think it's been used on my 30D more than once. I don't actually own a flash, but I could get one this month as I've had backpay (AT LAST!) but who cares?

Like the people that actually have thought about it (and know) have posted, the pop up flash does have it's uses, especially indoors. Obviously the separate units are better, but most people don't have the cash to spend on them. I'd rather invest in a decent lens or two and then if needed I'd get the flash last.

Soldato
Ok I'm new at photography and as such I lack a lot of confidence in taking photos in public places. So using a flash to seek attention argument went out the window there.

I use my 400D on the manual settings and as such, I have to pop the flash when needed. Recently I was at a bar where a friends band was playing and the flash was needed because I have the stock lens and the aperture isn't large (think it's large not small, someone help me out here) enough I need to use the flash to get half decent results.

I would love a decent flash so if you like I will send you my paypal address and you can send some money over for me to buy one :D

Associate
It annoys me that people have splashed out on a DSLR but know nothing about photography.

Of course you can use the on-board flash and get great results, it's not that bad at all. It's just annoys me to see a 400D wielding newbie on the street, outdoors, in good light, and the flash pops up purely because they don't know what they're doing.

Opps, I forgot coherence, nvmd.

So someone can't have a 400D because they don't know how it works? Riiiight. Oh no, I will tell anyone I see using 'noob' skills to return THEIR camera's bought with THEIR money because they don't know how it works. Cut the superiority complex please. We all learn we don't all automatically understand how to work something.:rolleyes:

Soldato
Yeh I new about the hole (sniggers) but wasn't too sure how I should say it as it's smaller the number the larger the aperture.

But thanks for clearing it up for me :D

Ohhh I have a darkroom lesson tomorrow. Yey for photography :p

Soldato
Yeh I new about the hole (sniggers) but wasn't too sure how I should say it as it's smaller the number the larger the aperture.

But thanks for clearing it up for me :D

Ohhh I have a darkroom lesson tomorrow. Yey for photography :p

The smaller number=bigger apperture thing comes from the fact that the f number is a ratio of the aperture diameter and the focal length of the lens. So a 50mm f2 lens would have a aperture diameter of 25mm. At f4 the aperture would be 12.5mm and so on. :)

Soldato
I love learning :)

OK don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question. When I was at the gig I didn't want to use my flash as it obviously took away some of the atmosphere, but was forced to as slower shutter speeds were causing blurring. My aperture was at the largest it would go.

Would this mean that my lens is the bottle neck and maybe a upgrade is required?

Soldato

OK don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question. When I was at the gig I didn't want to use my flash as it obviously took away some of the atmosphere, but was forced to as slower shutter speeds were causing blurring. My aperture was at the largest it would go.

Would this mean that my lens is the bottle neck and maybe a upgrade is required?

If you had upped the ISO to the maximum usable level (I try not to go over ISO800 on my D40X due to noise levels) then yes. This is where lenses like the 50mm f1.8, or the 30mm f1.4 that I use come in very handy.

Associate

At the risk of noise you could use a higher film speed. Unless you already mentioned its high enough already. :)

Soldato
If you had upped the ISO to the maximum usable level (I try not to go over ISO800 on my D40X due to noise levels) then yes. This is where lenses like the 50mm f1.8, or the 30mm f1.4 that I use come in very handy.

I have recently been having a play with ISO levels but the noise really does put me off. I will note them down for when I next some cash. Thank you both :D

Soldato
So what's wrong with the 400D, it's a noob camera?

:O

I think his point was rather that people with no intention of learning about photography or investing in glass buy DSLRs because they think they'll confer some sort of benefit, when they'll actually be worse for them than a bridge camera would. I know lots of people who have attitudes like this.

Soldato
I think his point was rather that people with no intention of learning about photography or investing in glass buy DSLRs because they think they'll confer some sort of benefit, when they'll actually be worse for them than a bridge camera would. I know lots of people who have attitudes like this.

I'm not sure I can agree with that, an SLR in full auto should take a better picture than a decent bridge camera simply because it has a better sensor, better processor and improved optics. The only thing they would lack is the super zoom of a bridge camera which they may not need for the pictures they want to take.

There is still a degree of snobbery around digital SLR's with a lot of people thinking you should only be allowed one if you are very serious about photography. Unfortunately they are now so cheap that they are viable for happy snapping holiday shots so people are just going to have to live with it or get a cannon 1 series so they look uber pro.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
The main reason I bought a SLR started 2 years ago in July , my dad bought me a really tacky camera off a sky shopping channel , which I hated :p I was going on holiday with the GF for a week to Italy! And we went on a day trip to Venice, a totally amazing place. And there was me at St Mark's Campanile (Bell tower) trying to take pictures with this rubbish camera, and it dies on me :/ lucky the gf had her camera and still managed to get some nice shots! So since then i’ve wanted a bigger camera. And well as its me, I hate tacky things so (bigger better) and I don’t regret spending £500 on an SLR , and still don't know much about photography ive bought a few books n get practical photography (on subscription) but i've not had the energy or time to get really involved with it.

This is still my best shot ever atm:

Greece - Kefalonia 2006

bestshot1024.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok I'm new at photography and as such I lack a lot of confidence in taking photos in public places. So using a flash to seek attention argument went out the window there.

I use my 400D on the manual settings and as such, I have to pop the flash when needed. Recently I was at a bar where a friends band was playing and the flash was needed because I have the stock lens and the aperture isn't large (think it's large not small, someone help me out here) enough I need to use the flash to get half decent results.

I would love a decent flash so if you like I will send you my paypal address and you can send some money over for me to buy one :D

Thats why you would need to invest in a quick lens like the nifty fifty or find a telezoom lens with a high aperture. The stock lens isn't good enough for everday situations. So my suggestion is just to get a POS camera as it gives you a better result.

Back
Top Bottom