Rant: About noobs using on board SLR Flash

Soldato
Another great use for onboard flash is when you're travelling - I recently had a holiday in the US where I took my 20D everywhere and I used onboard flash a lot.

If I owned a Canon 5D or 1D series that don't have a built in flash would I carry around an external flash unit - no way!! I would leave them at home and pack my 20D.

Onboard flash = win :)

Soldato
OP
Another great use for onboard flash is when you're travelling - I recently had a holiday in the US where I took my 20D everywhere and I used onboard flash a lot.

If I owned a Canon 5D or 1D series that don't have a built in flash would I carry around an external flash unit - no way!! I would leave them at home and pack my 20D.

Onboard flash = win :)

Can you show us some the photos you took with the flash?

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Maybe its because people who buy SLR think its cool but dont know how to use it and just want to show it off as it feels 'powerful' in one's hand.

Its like the same goes, buy a £75,000 AUDI R8 only go MAX 20mph in central london.:rolleyes:

maybe it's because it's their money and they can do what they want with it.

and you can't go any faster than 20MPH in central London, whatever car you're driving.

Permabanned

n286102929_1351244_2125.jpg

D70 with onboard flash because my SB-600 batteries were charging.

edit - sharpness has gone to pot because i ripped it off facebook as im at uni.

Soldato
I was actually just thinking that I would post an example later.
I have the perfect comparison - A group photo without flash with a washed out sky and another with a perfectly exposed sky with the people illuminated by the flash.

I'll post it when I get home at 6pm :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats why you would need to invest in a quick lens like the nifty fifty or find a telezoom lens with a high aperture. The stock lens isn't good enough for everday situations. So my suggestion is just to get a POS camera as it gives you a better result.

Or just get a new lens?...

Why would I want to buy a crap camera when I have a beast of a camera already?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Or just get a new lens?...

Why would I want to buy a crap camera when I have a beast of a camera already?

no..no, he has a point. i had an old kodak 3.2mp camera (remember when they sold a load for £100ish by mistake, and it was actually a bargain) and it takes better pictures than my d50 with the kit lens..

..oh wait.. no it doesn't :rolleyes:

Aod

Aod

Soldato
i can't use the flash on my 400D, so i avoid it.

when using it, the camera doesn't change the exposure time at all (i almost always shoot in Av) so i get a crap image with horrible bloom.

i have a dedicated flash, but its for Olympus OM cameras, and doesn't work at all on the canon.

anyway, i'd like some guidance, obviously i'm not expecting that little flash to illuminate a street or something a mile away, but i'd like to know how to use it at all.

Soldato
when using it, the camera doesn't change the exposure time at all (i almost always shoot in Av) so i get a crap image with horrible bloom.
Av puts the camera in Fill Flash mode - the flash will expose for the foreground and the camera will expose for the whole scene. This may mean you get long shutter times in dark situations or max the Flash X Sync speed in bright outdoors scenes.

Generally speaking
Indoors – Set the camera to M with a shutter of 1/125 and aperture F8 and the flash will correctly expose the scene; remembering your flash range of course ;)
Outdoors – Fill flash in Tv or Av ensuring the camera’s X sync is not exceeded.

400D X sync = 1/200

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Av puts the camera in Fill Flash mode - the flash will expose for the foreground and the camera will expose for the whole scene. This may mean you get long shutter times in dark situations or max the Flash X Sync speed in bright outdoors scenes.

Generally speaking
Indoors – Set the camera to M with a shutter of 1/125 and aperture F8 and the flash will correctly expose the scene; remembering your flash range of course ;)
Outdoors – Fill flash in Tv or Av ensuring the camera’s X sync is not exceeded.

400D X sync = 1/200
ah, thanks muchly. :)

Back
Top Bottom