• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

PL states on Intel CPU's have been fine, clearly defined and work as intended for generations now. That's not the issue. The issue is that motherboard manufacturers who are shipping with power limits disabled out of the box so they can perform better in motherboard reviews.

Now you can argue that's fine also as people will want maximum performance so this is a good thing. The problem here is that maxing out power limits comes with Auto voltages which are *much* higher than needed. The reason for the auto voltages being high is so they can overvolt and avoid crashes which would give them a bad look and support cases. If the CPU hits a thermal limit, a user will consider that a cpu/cooling problem and most won't think to check their voltages. Given that power draw is simply voltage x current, this is a run away problem that's made worse as temps go up.

If you're a gamer and you want plug n play, something like a 13900 (non K) in games is going to perform virtually equal to a 13900k since the power draw in games will be well below the PL threshold. Put the money towards a GPU...

I see the same cherry picking of facts and timelines is doing the rounds over and over again - which makes for tiring reading and quite off-putting in terms of getting involved in more meaningful discussions. I honestly cannot fathom the deep-rooted bias some people have (not naming names) in spinning up some of the turd slinging going off in here. Besides, it's release day, we'll soon know good and proper where both Intel and AMD stand in the CPU 'wars'. We've reason to think Intel will only provide marginal gaming gains (review embargos right up until release aren't usually a good sign) and they've hinted at this already with their own released performance snapshot a few weeks ago. But here's to fruitful competition and hopefully a price war that helps us consumers out a little.

I see the same cherry picking of facts and timelines is doing the rounds over and over again - which makes for tiring reading and quite off-putting in terms of getting involved in more meaningful discussions. I honestly cannot fathom the deep-rooted bias some people have (not naming names) in spinning up some of the turd slinging going off in here. Besides, it's release day, we'll soon know good and proper where both Intel and AMD stand in the CPU 'wars'. We've reason to think Intel will only provide marginal gaming gains (review embargos right up until release aren't usually a good sign) and they've hinted at this already with their own released performance snapshot a few weeks ago. But here's to fruitful competition and hopefully a price war that helps us consumers out a little.
Agreed, its getting ridiculous, fans of a specific company attack neutral people for mentioning facts. Holy crap

Last edited:
Calling E cores a temporary crutch by Intel and saying they're not good enough to do 16 full cores is fairly nonsensical considering Apple and ARM also are fans of that kind of design. Are they incompetent too and can't do full cores? Suddenly only AMD in the CPU space is good enough?

Calling E cores a temporary crutch by Intel and saying they're not good enough to do 16 full cores is fairly nonsensical considering Apple and ARM also are fans of that kind of design. Are they incompetent too and can't do full cores? Suddenly only AMD in the CPU space is good enough?

This is the main reason for ecores. For the mobile space. There's also a use case on the server side for containers which will be interesting to see in 2023.

I dunno where this Raptor lake 50% more performance for same wattage nonsense comes from.
From ExtremeTech

"With the test running in “power limited” mode, it was able to draw 253W. That’s very close to what Alder Lake can do when the reins are taken off, as it has a PL1 limit of 241W. Despite that limit, Anandtech saw a Core i9-12900KS suck down 276W in peak power. With the governor removed, the Raptor Lake CPU was able to consume another 100W of power. They noted that with clocks and power unleashed, it drew between 340 and 350W of juice. Overall, it allowed for a noticeable increase in performance. Single-core performance remained largely unchanged between tests, but the multi-core score increased by 14 percent. That’s a non-trivial boost in performance at the expense of heat and power."

It certainly isn't going to be rubbish. From the video earlier in this thread it clearly takes the gaming lead over Zen4. But by how much and is it worth the price, the reviews will answer.

My primary use is gaming I ain't in any rush to upgrade would waiting for zen4 3d be wise ? Also will get another 2 upgrades on that platform and hoping b650e , ddr5 prices drop or go raptor lake but will be no more upgrade on that platform

Back
Top Bottom