• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Soldato
OP
The Frame Chasers guy reckons performance in games doesn't scale much beyond ~5.5ghz (he says he's tested it at higher frequencies), and probably not in Zen 4 either. Pretty interesting.

So, clocking your CPU to 5.5ghz on AMD or Intel is fairly ideal (with the gain presumably being more noticeable with fewer cores).

Maybe that's due to the fact that so many games now are designed to make use of 6/8 cores (sometimes even more)?

He also predicts the arrival of 8800 d*** die, which will no doubt increase gaming performance by 1000%.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
TeamGroup 7200MHz C34 and 6000MHz C30 kits arriving next week. :)
Awesome news. Now, about the price? :)

Just wondering if it's worth buying these on an AM5 system, wonder if the 7200 MT/s kits will ever be supported on current x670 boards?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So, 12700 vs 13600k if not overclocking? Would love a 13700 but I don't want to wait another 4 months and it'll be even more expensive. Mostly for gaming
13700 all core boost is just over 5ghz. Probably worth the wait.

The 13700f should cost $314 + vat, same as the 12700f on launch.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes, 4 sticks of DDR4 already and a B660 board in mind.

Eek, I'm running a skylake system now so was planning on upgrading in the next couple of months!
Buy a super cheap LGA1700 stop gap CPU in the meantime I suppose? then sell it later

Intel Celeron G6900 only costs £40

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is it a fair assumption that Zen 4's cache (ring clock) is clocked higher at stock, than Intel's 12 and 13th gen CPUs?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It will be interesting to see how easy Bclk overclocking is on Raptor Lake, and if the performance is good (it didn't seem to work well on 12th gen CPUs in some cases, despite allowing higher frequencies).

Could allow for some nice gains on a 13700/13700f. To some extend though, it's already running at over 5ghz on all P cores, so who the hell cares?

As the last throw of the dice on LGA1700, overclocking cheaper CPUs could be the way to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
True.

What's considered cheap for a LGA1700 board?

Motherboards with long sounding names like 'MSI MAG B660M Mortar Max WiFi' is always a worry...

EDIT - lol, this board is still a pre-order in the UK, what a joke.

I think they are not that appealing generally, unless they can offer an affordable DDR5 board with an external clock generator.

Did any of that stuff come true about the Z790 motherboards being a big improvement over the last gen?

I remember Dave in the 25th century going on about this, as though his life depended on it :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've been saying for months now in this thread that the 13600k looks to be the one to watch and had quite a lot of pushback from some although they seem to have gone AWOL now.
13700 is the one to watch, it's just that people hate waiting. The 13700f is likely to be priced at around £330-£340 (since we know that Intel pricing hasn't changed since the last gen).

If people are gonna stick with LGA1700 for a while, might as well be something powerful like this (which at stock, is going to be slightly faster than the 12900K).

For gaming, one without E-Cores would probably give virtually the same performance, but that does not fit in with Intel's wider plans.

Hype up the i9 K CPUs, then very few or no reviews for the locked CPUs, it's the same every generation. The same thing is true for B series motherboards from AMD and Intel, you don't see them unless there's a major problem, like poor VRM thermals or VRM power limits.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Without high end cooling, overclocking a raptor lake CPU is pointless:

cpu-temperature-blender.png

Already 91 Celsius at stock, 11 Celsius higher than the 12600K in this case. @5.6 all core, it just gets stupidly hot, for potentially 1% performance boost in games.

This is exactly why Intel needs to switch to their new process technology (Intel 4), as soon as possible.

Around January, it would be much less hassle to just get a 13700/13700f and run it at stock.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How much do you need to spend to cool an 6 or 8P core 13th gen CPU, when overclocked to 5.6ghz?

Is it even doable with an air cooler?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm running a Dark Rock Pro 4 on my 13700K and it gets to high 60s when gaming. It's not OC'd, has a slight undervolt and the P cores seem to max out at 5.4GHz.
That sounds fine. Undervolting is always good! Seems like these CPUs will run happily on air, as long as you don't force even higher clocks...

Back
Top Bottom