• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

880sc at 5.5 would be a regression in ipc. Lets give it the benefit of doubt that bios and ucode isn’t mature yet.
Maybe the retail version will basically be just like a 12th gen Alder Lake in performance (same Golden Cove cores afterall), but simply clocked higher compared to the 12900K.

Tech question- In benchmarks and games, what what does does the cache ratio typically run at on the 12700K and 12900K, on stock settings? Just wondered, as this could be something Intel might try to ramp up, given the cache size increases for the 13th generation.

Last edited:
Can't they ramp up the cache clock speeds as well? Surely that would help with some calculations and in many games.

It seems to be quite difficult to find any information about cache ratios of Intel CPUs.

It is something that can make a significant difference to game performance (0.1 and 1% Framerate lows), as shown in this video with an 8700K with CPU cores clocked at 5ghz:

Intel tends to ramp up the clock speed, as that is the thing that is well known and sells CPUs, but a CPU cache / Ring ratio of 5ghz could also help a lot. I think part of the difficulty is, a lot of boards don't seem to support higher cache ratios, my B560 board only supports upto 4.3ghz.

A cache ratio of 43x seems to be fairly common on Alder Lake CPUs, as discussed here:

Apparently you can overclock the Ring / cache ratio Alder Lake CPUs to ~5ghz, if you disable the E-Cores...

The effect of this could matter even more since they are increasing the cache sizes.

AMD could have a significant advantage, if the clockspeed and cache ratio of Zen 4 CPUs can exceed 5ghz.

Last edited:
Some things we need to know:
  • Will the IMC (memory controller) support decent DDR5 frequencies at 1:1 gear ratio?
  • What will the cache ratios / frequencies be at stock turbo settings
Both could have a significant impact on game performance.

We know that Zen 3 (e.g. 5800X) without V-cache is 10-11% slower than the 12900K in games, and we now know that the IPC of Zen 4 is 8-10% higher then Zen 3.

Zen 4 IPC info:

Zen 3 720p avg gaming performance:

So, even without increases in clock speed, Zen 4 will be roughly as fast as the top Alder Lake CPUs in games. But, there will also be clock speed improvements of around 10%, vs Zen 3 (e.g. 5800X).

So, Intel has got a bit of a problem, especially if there is no IPC gain for the 13th generation.

I would imagine that improvements in L2/L3 cache will help the 13th gen to keep up in games...

Last edited:
I think Zen4 Vcache CPUs next year will perform the best in games, Intel's 13th gen might beat standard Zen 4 CPUs, but only the highest clocked, expensive models.

Saying its a 50% core count increase is missing the point. You do realize p cores are much faster and have hyperthreading right?? So essentially it's a doubling of ecores (33% more threads) for a 37% increase. The only way to be disappointed is if you expected the ecores to outperform the p cores. Did you?

For me it's irrelevant. The mt peformance is up by almost 40%. I dont really care how, they could have done it with 50000 ecores for all i care. Performance and price is what matters, everything else is irrelevant
modern CPUs already have good multithreaded performance. Most people want more single core speed and efficiency. That ~7% increase in singlethreaded will probably require even more power usage than the 12th gen.

It's not great, because it requires consumers to buy ever more powerful air or water coolers.

Intel has chosen to increase E-core count because they have hit a wall on what's possible with 10nm performance cores.

It's another reason why IPC gains matter, usually they involve a performance increase without needing to increase power consumption much/at all.

Last edited:
Hit a wall? They are already up to 25% faster than their competition in single threaded performance... They werent lacking in that front, were they?
AMD looks set to catch with Intel, when Zen 4 is released. I think Intel's 13th gen could end up with higher singlethreaded performance, but only when clocked over 5.0ghz, so these parts won't be cheap or easy to cool.

It depends really. I think the 13th gen and Zen4 at the same clock speeds will give similar performance, so AMD's ability to compete at the enthusiast level end may depend on overclocking >5ghz, or maybe a premium super clocked edition at some point. It looks like 5.5ghz is going to roughly be the limit for both companies, excluding liquid nitrogen cooling :D

Intel won't be easily beaten by Zen4, but they will likely fall behind on gaming performance, with the release of Zen 4 CPUs + v-cache. It's quite easy to predict that, because the 5800X3D was already getting higher minimum framerates in some titles, than the much more power hungry, hotter running 12900KS. Power consumption comparison here:

Last edited:
The only thing AMD is better at than Intel is trying to derail sentiment around the internet with false BS.

Intel domainttes single threads, dominates multiple threads. dominates in actual gaming power usage......

Zen4 if amd is lucky might catch up wit the IPC performance of 12th gen
Intel have only has an IPC advantage with Golden Cove cores, which is what the 13th generation is using, but clocked higher.

They will probably lose this advantage against Zen 4, which has an 8-10% IPC increase vs Zen 3.

In many games, AMD already caught up with the Intel, with the 5800X3D. Despite being cheaper and using less power than the 12900K or KS.

In this case, the increased L3 cache is significantly more beneficial than Intel's E-cores for gaming.

So, I think the big news is that the single threaded performance of the 13900K and 12900K is basically identical at the same clockspeeds:

2022-07-13_19-52-34-1480x903.png

I find it quite incredible that several people were insisting that 'Raptor Cove' cores were a thing, and that there would be an IPC increase. Despite no indication of this on Intel's core roadmap.

So, what you will actually get is an increase in cache, and the potential to clock the CPU higher, with high end cooling.

Last edited:
I'm afraid not, it's a no. Both the 12th gen and 13th gen P-Cores will perform the same if clocked at 5.0ghz or 5.5ghz. I think some people managed over 6ghz already on a 12900K, probably with liquid nitrogen.

The results are pretty much what you'd expect:

The voltage is pretty mental at 1.545v.

It looks like Intel have increased the voltage (around 1.34v) for the 13900K.

Last edited:
You're right, the Cache (particularly L2) could give it a nice boost in games, vs the 12th gen.

The main thing to consider, is the amount of cache per core. There's a 60% increase in the L2 cache per core for the 13th gen.

AMD and Intel are both competing to squeeze out a few more frames in games with cache increases.

Last edited:
They should do an 8 core model (+ maybe an unlocked version) without E-Cores, but they probably won't.

Do we have any details about the Cache / Ring clocks yet on the 700 series boards and 13th gen CPUs?

Last edited:
Yeap. Plus consider the cost of investment for someone looking to upgrade. Cheap Z690 motherboard, cheap DDR4, 'cheap' 13th gen i5 - insanely good value.
Why is it exciting though? No improvement in IPC, small bump in clocks.

The 12600K can already get 4.9ghz with vcore @ 1.45v.

5ghz at 1.5v, according to this review:

Isn't Intel increasing their prices by 20% soon?

Main thing is, 5ghz all core might be achievable on air coolers with 13th gen.

'Raptor Lake' is probably just Golden Cove cores in a different configuration imo.
So, it was a bit of a slow realisation for me :cry:. That was on page 10, when we first heard about launch planning for Meteor Lake in 2023.

13th gen. + 700 series should be good for new builds, still not sure if it will provide much benefit from 12th gen though.

Last edited:
Bet still stands for Raptor Cove cores :D

If you look at the wiki page for Golden Cove here:

You can see that there's still room to improve L2 and L3 cache for desktop CPUs, even on the Golden Cove architecture. For servers (e.g. Sapphire Rapids, still to be released), Golden Cove allows upto 2MB of L2 cache per core, and upto 3MB of L3 Cache per core.

Alder Lake has upto 1.25MB of L2 and 2.5MB of L3 cache for each P-Core. Link here:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom