Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
After a lot of looking around, the best combination for a media server I found seems to be raspbmc or equivalent software on the PI and Plex on your server side. The two seem to work really well together.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
After a lot of looking around, the best combination for a media server I found seems to be raspbmc or equivalent software on the PI and Plex on your server side. The two seem to work really well together.

Mine is perfect just steaming via samba I've only had one file play badly and that was due to dts audio as the pi hasn't got hardware decoding for it yet

Soldato

I think it probably depends what the server is running... If your server is linux-based then I can't imagine much will beat raspbmc on the pi mounting NFS shares from the server... Samba works but NFS seems to be the best to me (and actually is easier to set up than Samba in my opinion)

Associate
I would imagine you will have better luck with PSPP (looks like there is an arm binary). Also if you're crunching large data sets it's not going to be very productive, I.e not as fast as you might think.

Is SPSS available for arm? If so I can't see why not

Ahh it was just a mad idea, I've been doing large datasets for a while, but ill stick to the laptop, id hate for anything to go wrong and lose everything.

This has to be my favourite purchase in a long time, I've been messing around with wheezy and Raspbmc, my tablet has been completely retired.

Just ordered a tv mounting bracket from modmypi, and also a Bluetooth dongle, so essentially it will connect to pretty much everything I have.

The dlink powered usb hub has come in so handy, its got an external 500gb hard drive connected, wifi dongle, usb keyboard/mouse dongle, mobile phone charger, and soon a Bluetooth dongle and the Pi hasn't reset once. Definitely a major advantage to power the devices externally.

I also tried a test file on raspbmc, Avengers, 1080p, 32gb file size, and the thing played flawlessly from my usb hard drive. Its made me realise how much I hate my tv, think its time for an upgrade.

Soldato
Just got myself a Raspberry Pi and I'm keen to set it up as a media server. Anyone know if I can get it to stream movies to my PS3?

You could try putting mediatomb on it, which will let your PS3 stream from it, but I think you'll have to make sure the video files are the right format (as otherwise your Pi will be doing a lot of heavy work to pre-process the files for the stream) Off the top of my head I don't know which format but you could google mediatomb to find out (or see if anyone has it running on the pi)

Soldato
You could try putting mediatomb on it, which will let your PS3 stream from it, but I think you'll have to make sure the video files are the right format (as otherwise your Pi will be doing a lot of heavy work to pre-process the files for the stream) Off the top of my head I don't know which format but you could google mediatomb to find out (or see if anyone has it running on the pi)

Ok, thanks. I use PS3 Media Server at the moment, but I have problems with my Windows 7 laptop as the CPU usage seems to max out for no apparant reason!

Maybe I will keep my media library as is and have it streaming to my bedroom TV using the PI to play to TV.

Soldato
Ok, thanks. I use PS3 Media Server at the moment, but I have problems with my Windows 7 laptop as the CPU usage seems to max out for no apparant reason!

Maybe I will keep my media library as is and have it streaming to my bedroom TV using the PI to play to TV.

I think the problems you're having with PS3 media server are probably along the same lines - i.e. the server is having to do a lot of work to transcode (ah! that was the word I was looking for before!!!) the media files into a format suitable to stream across to the console, which hits the CPU pretty hard... The Pi is going to be especially useless for this (as it has a weak CPU)

So is your current setup a media library hosted on a Win 7 laptop, and you want to stream to your TV? The Pi can work nicely as a media player, and although you'll have the best results if your server (or laptop etc) is also running some flavour of Linux, I'm sure there are plenty of options to do it from a windows machine.

Back
Top Bottom