Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

maj

maj

Soldato
There's a new Pi Zero out there as from today with built in WiFi and bluetooth. I've just ordered one from Pimoroni.

Came here to post same thing ha. Makes it even easier to run Pi-Hole on it now and I'm amazed they've managed to fit these two extra features on such a small circuit board. Have you gone for the Pi Zero W on it's own or with a package?

Commissario
*blush* I've actually got two on the way.
One as just a basic unit with a case from ModMyPi and I've ordered the Pirate Radio package from Pimoroni. It seems like a fun little package and I'll use it to listen to the monthly Radio Caroline broadcasts when they're on the Ross.

The one by itself will be my amateur radio APRS iGate instead of the original zero I'm using now and the package will obviously be made into a radio. That'll leave the zero I was using for the iGate as a play box.

Soldato
*blush* I've actually got two on the way.
One as just a basic unit with a case from ModMyPi and I've ordered the Pirate Radio package from Pimoroni. It seems like a fun little package and I'll use it to listen to the monthly Radio Caroline broadcasts when they're on the Ross.

The one by itself will be my amateur radio APRS iGate instead of the original zero I'm using now and the package will obviously be made into a radio. That'll leave the zero I was using for the iGate as a play box.
Came here to post same thing ha. Makes it even easier to run Pi-Hole on it now and I'm amazed they've managed to fit these two extra features on such a small circuit board. Have you gone for the Pi Zero W on it's own or with a package?
The new Pi Zero with wifi looks pretty good, might get one at some point.
The bluetooth might be something that will be more useful.

At the moment the only things I've used the Pi Zero for have been projects that don't need a network connection.

Not really feeling the Pirate Radio thing (mono low quality speaker streaming spotify :confused: )
Also wouldn't trust WiFi for anything critical like DNS (Pi-Hole)

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
If I do get one I'd probably get a micro usb to ethernet adapter and plug it directly into router. I already have a Pi 2 which I use for LibreELEC but I feel one of them would be wasted just for pi-hole. Cheapest I can get it down to is £22.61 excluding postage. That's for the pi zero w, case and official power supply. I'd still need a micro SD for the OS though and the ethernet adapter I mentioned. When I include everything I'm probably looking at close to £30 which is more than I want to spend for such a project really but we'll see.

Commissario
Arrived, got the header on already.

pi_zero_w-20170301-152940.jpg

soldered-20170301-153116.jpg

/edit - And all working.

Don
For anyone that may be interested.. We use one of these in work to effectively turn the Pi into a PoE device.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Splitter...88449135&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+poe+splitter

48V PoE in from your switch or injector, then into this splitter. Modify a DC jack and wire it up to a microusb cable and supply ethernet from the same cable. It's 5V 2A supposedly, so will work fine with a Pi (and Zero) and Pi2. We've not tested it on a Pi3.

Commissario
There appears to be a problem with the new Zero W running at 700MHz instead of the intended 1GHz. I commented about the performance on the Pimoroni support forum yesterday but didn't link it to reduced CPU speed. Someone else noticed that they weren't able to increase the speed.

Now acknowledged by pimoroni:
CPU Speed
An issue with the Zero W firmware setting the CPU speed to 700Mhz instead of 1Ghz has been raised with us, and is being looked into. If your Zero feels slow, this is most probably why. A software fix should be possible. Stay tuned for news as we get it.

/edit @ 15:26z
Update: Fix will be available via apt-get update in a few days. Hang in there.

Commissario
This is getting embarrassing now. Eight. yes, eight!

1 x Raspberry Pi2 - Pi-hole, Transmission, UniFi controller
2 x Raspberry Pi3 - ADS-B aircraft trackers
1 x Raspberry Pi Zero - Amateur radio rx only APRS iGate
1 x Raspberry Pi3 - NextCloud server
1 x Raspberry Pi Zero W - Pimoroni Pirate Radio
1 x Raspberry Pi Zero W - Running smokeping as a network monitor (need to work out how to send alerts)
1 x Raspberry Pi Zero W - Being used for me to learn Python - I'm at the very early stages, ie just started

And there's another Zero W on the way. I don't know why, I ordered it after an evening on the rum!

maj

maj

Soldato
Just noticed there is a pHAT DAC. Been after a DAC for awhile so tempted to get a Pi Zero W for that, buy a Pi 3 to use for LibreELEC and use my Pi 2 for Pi-Hole. Has anyone tried the DAC?

maj

maj

Soldato
Yes, I bought the Pimoroni Pirate Radio that comes with one.

Ah I see. How easy is it to assembly? From one of the reviews it comes with no instructions. It comes with a pin header that needs soldered and you can buy optional dual phono connectros that also need soldered but other than that I'm not sure how it connects to the Pi itself.

Back
Top Bottom