Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Don
I'm guessing this has affected the price also? I'd like to buy by first Pi to setup Pihole but they don't seem all that cheap.

You don't need a pi to run pihole... you can do it either in a VM, or using any x86 pc hardware e.g. cheap thin clients use a similar amount of power as a Pi, are cheap to buy, but in some ways have more powerful/flexible hardware.

Main reason to buy pi's is for the GPIO/Hats and related hobbyist infrastructure

Associate
Use the 'notify me' on a Pi zero W on pi hut etc, when they're in stock they're only £9.80 and trickle in reasonably often.

Thanks I will try that :)

You don't need a pi to run pihole... you can do it either in a VM, or using any x86 pc hardware e.g. cheap thin clients use a similar amount of power as a Pi, are cheap to buy, but in some ways have more powerful/flexible hardware.

Main reason to buy pi's is for the GPIO/Hats and related hobbyist infrastructure

I'll look into that as well then, thank you!

Man of Honour
Folks looking for a little help - I'm looking to use my Raspberry Pi 4 as a portable NAS for travelling and syncing files and host Code Server so I can log into it within a web browser from my iPad.

Is it possible to Run OpenMediaVault and Code Server on the same Pi?

Soldato
Gave my Raspberry Pi music player (picoreplayer) a little tweak and added the spectrum analyser into album cover display which was a nightmare when you don't have a clue about coding

1.jpg

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Gave my Raspberry Pi music player (picoreplayer) a little tweak and added the spectrum analyser into album cover display which was a nightmare when you don't have a clue about coding

1.jpg
I’ve been thinking about building one for my bedside table, can it also be used as an alarm clock?

Soldato
Finally got little and large done little player is the host normally plugged into Hi-Fi which has hard drive with music plus DAC and another Pi plugged into TV which is a client which can sync to host or play any music from host plus use as controller

Soldato
Over £100 now is too expensive. You can get a mini pc with a Celeron processor and 4gb ram and 64G rom for around £130 with occasional sales down to £110 from the rain forest
picked up a hp prodesk mini pc with i3 8th gen for 100. these pi's and stuff cant compete with that they are well over priced. £40 max they should be.

Don
It’s not about competing it’s about using the right tool for the job.

They both have their places depending on the job they are doing.
But unless you are actually using the gpio headers, there is zero reason to pay the price the latest pi's are. Micro/mini/tiny form factor pcs as mentioned above have far higher performance for not much more cost
Thin clients offer similar performance as a pi, but much cheaper cost and standard x86 hardware/os, if all you want is a small low powered device to run something on Linux (as many people seem to just use a pi for)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
They are quite steep, however I would rather stick a pi in a small weatherproof unit for a specific task. The practicality of the SFF pc like the hp to do that job would be overkill and bulky. Have to agree with @Zaf .

£25 is about the right price for a pi, regardless of the version at least that I think was what I got my original pi for. There might be inflation and part issues, but some of the new features probably end up whacking the base price. If £40 is the new asking for one then they need to rethink shuffling the makeup so its back below £30.

Back
Top Bottom