Raymond Lin's Wedding Thread of 2010

Caporegime
Just a quick question (and sorry for hi-jacking) but how did you get into assisting?

I was advised to get into assisting by a photographer I worked with.

Found a website - photographers.co.uk checked it everyday/week for ads, found one, rang the guy asking for the best email address got it, send a sample, went and met Mark, and 18 months down the line hes a brilliant friend and has taught me a ridiculous amount about photography and I've shot 30ish weddings now, most of them with him :)

I've done a few with Nick (ScarySquirrel) from this forum as well, they are such a laugh!

Soldato
That thread is just.....lol

Sadly now that TP place is popular, there are some immense tools there. You say something they don't agree with and you can get volumes of abuse, even if it's true and meant in good spirit. Some people will even give you stick when you accidentally post a better photo than theirs was (not that I have anything good anyway, so it wasn't me!) and rip you apart for actually complimenting people and their photo.

Seriously, there's some nut cases in there, especially the theme/competition threads!

Personally I've no idea what Ray does processing wise, and don't care. I like his style, and the photo they're babbling about doesn't look to have frontal lighting to me :confused: I've seen plenty of photos that have that look to them from shooting into the sun, and I've got a couple myself using the Sigma 1.4 wide open, but without flare.

Some people are so worried about competition they insult and accuse in the hope a professional will reveal their techniques pre/post shoot so they can flat out copy it, and looking at their attitudes, undercut.

Incidentally, can anyone access those forums? It seems to have died, and I can't get back on there!

Ah it's loading now. I look forward to reading about how Ray faked the moon landing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Overclockers photographers > TP photographers

I regularly look at the people and portrait section and looking at the photos people produce - look like nothing than snap shots. From the level of work I've seen here, the photos are more interesting than TP.

Soldato
Overclockers photographers > TP photographers

I regularly look at the people and portrait section and looking at the photos people produce - look like nothing than snap shots. From the level of work I've seen here, the photos are more interesting than TP.

I used to look at that section a hell of a lot as I got quite addicted to trying to figure out what was used to light a subject. Mainly because I know nothing about that subject, but I haven't looked there for a while. I'm trying to get my own technique sorted and understand what I'm doing and what I want more, before I shell out on lighting and drive myself nuts :D

At one point I used to pay to subscribe to a US photography forum for quality info, as people that pay generally don't act like tools. Sadly that changed a while ago, so I moved on :(

It seems that there are far too many people out there now, due to the popularity of the subject that have been bought equipment by mummy and daddy, have no idea how to use it, blast off 2000 shots in two hours, post the fluke best shots and then talk down to people, and accuse then of things, as we saw in Ray's thread over on TP.

Back
Top Bottom