Raymond Lin's Wedding Thread of 2010

Associate
Woah, that thread is bonkers. looking at the photo I assumed it was a pretty overcast day and the sun was starting to burn through therefore giving a good overall light and then a highlight of the sun behind. I think it was very rude for people to demand your raws :(

Permabanned
I love this shot
IMG_0761.jpg

Permabanned
Oh, sorry I missed that.

First, the flash question.

I don't use any Tupperware :p, I bounce it off the ceiling most of the time. :)

As for holding the 135L and have it sharp. I shoot most of the time with a single focus point, and have that point land on my "target". And that target is often the eys. it's almost muscle memory now to have that point land on the eyes or head of the person without i even thinking about it.

Do you focus on one eye or get both eyes within the focus point, or do you focus on the point where both eyes and the top of the nose meet ?

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Greetings! :D,

Still love this thread! So many amazing photos and inspiration!

I'm slowly looking in to wedding photography!

Atm I've only attended 5 weddings (1 of them i was the photographers assistant)

Kit

400D

Kit Lens
Sigma 70-300
Nifty 50

190xprob and an 804 RC - Tripod

YONGNUO Speedlite YN460 ii
RF-602 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Flash Trigger

The downside.

1 - I only have 1 body which is the 400D
2 - I've never done wedding photography
3- No idea what to charge

Last edited:
Caporegime
Please for the love of god do yourself a favour and assist for a year before you start doing your own! :)

You'll learn tons, have a laugh, and realise where you need different/extra kit and can home in on that.

Also, the kit you listed, sorry to sound harsh, won't be upto the job. You will need faster lenses!

Caporegime
Good man :)

I only say it, because when I wanted to get into it, I did a few assisting then realised how out of my depth I was :eek:

18 months down the road, my skill has increased dramatically! I've done about 30 weddings now, mostly assisting, with a few of my own bookings, it's been a great experience and I still enjoy it! :)

Soldato
Brilliant thread...

And the TP thread is almost as good as it gave me a right good laugh... The original photo in the TP thread is stunning! Love it (but then I love all of your work so it goes without saying :p )

Soldato
Good man :)
18 months down the road, my skill has increased dramatically! I've done about 30 weddings now, mostly assisting, with a few of my own bookings, it's been a great experience and I still enjoy it! :)

Just a quick question (and sorry for hi-jacking) but how did you get into assisting?

Associate
I think he answered an Local Advert :)

I never assisted anyone, just did 5 solo unpaid to get experience so I can learn and to see that I can do it before charging.

P.s. I might start a thread for 2011, I've shot 7 weddings already this year.

I love your photos, you're the one convinced to get me into photography as a hobby.

Do you need a assistant? Then I can say, "Si Fu Ray, you want some tea?" hehe

My brother-in-law's wedding is in 2 weeks, I'm going to test out my 550d.

They already hired a photographer, which is good. I don't trust myself with the camera, so I'll be the one doing the video recording.

I'll be taking photo of the family, is going to be a long day. Massive chinese wedding, we're looking at around 500 people including family.

My kit so far

550d+lens kit
50mm f1.8
55-250 f/4-5.6

looking to order me a redsnapper tripod sometime next week.

I really like the 50mm, everything is so clear and crisp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom