• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raytracing - Would you buy in to it now?

Caporegime
That's true. NVIDIA aren't about to give up on RT, so like it or not, it is here to stay. I am not sure why they are pushing it so hard when as you say we are going to get it whether we want it or not.

I wonder if there is a reason why NVIDIA are pushing rather than what they are telling us about. I wonder if RT is really the way they see their GPU architecture going in the long term.

Because in raster performance amd pretty much caught up in one fell swoop and rtx is nvidia's main advantage currently.

Associate
I
I wonder if there is a reason why NVIDIA are pushing rather than what they are telling us about. I wonder if RT is really the way they see their GPU architecture going in the long term.

I think it is that realistically it is the way forward long term for graphics in terms of realism. To me, the push for higher refresh rates hits diminishing returns beyond a certain point for the majority of users, so where do you push the advancement instead? RT I suppose.

Or are you thinking whether its tracking towards something other than RT, but RT is a good banner to hide it behind ?

I do wonder if the whole AI thing will become more and more prevalent. Along the lines of predictive motion based on machine learning,

Associate
Nope, all the examples Ive seen look pretty poor in person. Not wotth the hit in the 12 or so games it's on. Maybe when it's in all games and we can actually see a difference in visual for no performance defosit. Until then I'd rather engines improve as it's better use of the resources.

Associate
Cyberpunk is not a great example at all it looks terrible, maybe looks ok in a couple of spots. But again not worth the hit.. control had no visual difference for me at all..

I wonder how much of it's in the head of the gamers and how much of it is actually being noticed as different. I noticed a difference in Minecraft but it's so cartoony unrealstic to begin with it's hard not to notice.

Soldato
That's true. NVIDIA aren't about to give up on RT, so like it or not, it is here to stay. I am not sure why they are pushing it so hard when as you say we are going to get it whether we want it or not.

We're now getting games that only run with Ray Tracing on - see the Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition. So yeah Ray Tracing aint going nowhere, if anything its rastered lighting, shadows, reflections etc that's all going going BYE BYE.

BYE BYE rasterization, don't let the door hit you on the way out :D:p

Soldato
I would say trade the RT capabilities of my sad 3070 for 5-10% more raster performance in a heartbeat. Really do not care about RT at this point, FPS is getting hit too hard for my liking.

Permabanned
I would say trade the RT capabilities of my sad 3070 for 5-10% more raster performance in a heartbeat. Really do not care about RT at this point, FPS is getting hit too hard for my liking.

I'm the opposite. I'd only have RT and Tensor cores on my 3080, while keeping my 1080Ti for legacy titles.

Soldato
The RT debate is no different than the Ultra debate. Some people game at Ultra, others drop to High or Medium for more FPS. Yes we all know that higher settings look nicer but I don't see why RT draws so much attention and arguments.

If my FPS is too low, I`d switch off RT just like I`d drop to high or medium. It`s not because I`m ignorant of the lower-quality picture or can`t tell the difference.

Permabanned
Yes, it’s not based on AMDs market share, it’s based on some people’s unwavering belief in the religion of nVidia.

Ray tracing has been around far longer than Nvidia.

Surely you play games because you find them enjoyable? Looking great is a bonus.

I usually play immersive games where graphics, audio and gameplay all have to be good for it to work. I also enjoy RTS and strategy. I've no intrest in Flappy Bird or Candy Crush.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well my old 1080Ti was still doing a great job with legacy titles, while the 3080 could use more grunt with ray tracing.

Silly, would be coming to a graphics forum, while trying to play down next gen graphics :rolleyes:
Fully with you. Very high chance I would do the same if it was an option and its not like its never been done before. I was posting about add in ray tracing cards on here 10 years ago.

Associate
It doesn't matter what you and i think of RT, developers cant be asrsed to implament DX12, hell, they cant even release a complete, solid game, RT will always be an after thought, if that.

Soldato
It doesn't matter what you and i think of RT, developers cant be asrsed to implament DX12, hell, they cant even release a complete, solid game, RT will always be an after thought, if that.
We can prove that is not true. Take a look at games like Metro Exodus Enhanced and Stay in the Light both of which prove that is wrong and that Ray Tracing is not just an afterthought. Plus due to the next gen console games having Ray Tracing we should see adoption accelerate in PC games. Plus its not just games some of us use Ray Tracing outside games.

There are already games that need Ray Tracing as a minimum spec and more games like that is only a matter of time.

Back
Top Bottom