RC cars

Associate
Soldato
How are they @SDK^ ?

I'm definitely going to Model Sport tomorrow, yet to decide what to go for.

I'm also going to merge this thread into the RC thread we have. Keeps it active.
I’ve not had chance yet to use the Revo - we are planning a session on Saturday.

My son loves his, although he’s still adjusting to the speed and controls.
He’s glad now that his first choice was out of stock everywhere (Arrma Typhon 3S) as that would probably be too much for him currently. I’m also glad as it saved me £200+ :p

I’ve ordered a few extra batteries for his and two more for the Revo - the cost of those adds up : ~£400
4x 5000 mAh 11.1v 3S = £210
3x 3250 7.2v = £75
Revo battery Charger = £95

I’m also half tempted to find a Tamiya car to build up

Don
I’ve not had chance yet to use the Revo - we are planning a session on Saturday.

My son loves his, although he’s still adjusting to the speed and controls.
He’s glad now that his first choice was out of stock everywhere (Arrma Typhon 3S) as that would probably be too much for him currently. I’m also glad as it saved me £200+ :p

I’ve ordered a few extra batteries for his and two more for the Revo - the cost of those adds up : ~£400
3x 3250 7.2v = £75

Nice. Get some vids up!

My lad is five next month so still a bit to young but I’m going to give him the Lunchbox I’ve got upstairs that I’ve never had out and me get something a bit quicker.

Soldato
3x 3250 7.2v = £75

Try floureon batteries, 3s 5500mah. Can get them for around £28 a pack. Been using two in 6s on my e-revo and hobao hyper vse. Mate is running a 3s 5500 on his arrma big rock. Both of us are impressed. We also use them daily at work, so give them a good work out:
So much cheaper than alternative brands too.

Associate
Try floureon batteries, 3s 5500mah. Can get them for around £28 a pack. Been using two in 6s on my e-revo and hobao hyper vse. Mate is running a 3s 5500 on his arrma big rock. Both of us are impressed. We also use them daily at work, so give them a good work out:
So much cheaper than alternative brands too.
I use floureons too and have found them great. I bought 2x 2s 4000mah for £26 delivered 2 years ago and I'm still using them now.
Zop Power batteries are supposed to be good as well.

Don
Thanks for @Usel who highlighted the advert to me, I picked up the Arrma this morning. The seller accepted £200 and I went down, played around with it, and took it away. Only an hours trek so the same distance me getting to Otley and I would have bought the Carnage so I think I'm a little better off.

The truck is in real good condition, only bought before Christmas and receipt etc included for warranty purposes etc. Also fixed the Lunchbox so the lad and I are going to find a (very) big space to run them around!

I'm slightly gutted the Lunchbox is to get dirty but it's been sat on a shelf for two years, it is time..

eYvYmBy.jpg

z4TIfg1.jpg

8tCG457.jpg

KkpMLa5.jpg

YgXLCVy.jpg

Man of Honour
Beetle is nice. Cars wise at the moment we are mostly doing 1:24 scale and loving that for some indoor racing. We did get out with my converted T-maxx and my kids with the lunch box over Christmas. Have some planes and boats on the go at the mo too. My son having never flown before was doing comfortable circuits, take offs and landings on his second pack with no need for me to input from the buddy cable. Proud dad.

Associate
Thanks for @Usel who highlighted the advert to me, I picked up the Arrma this morning. The seller accepted £200 and I went down, played around with it, and took it away. Only an hours trek so the same distance me getting to Otley and I would have bought the Carnage so I think I'm a little better off.

The truck is in real good condition, only bought before Christmas and receipt etc included for warranty purposes etc. Also fixed the Lunchbox so the lad and I are going to find a (very) big space to run them around!

I'm slightly gutted the Lunchbox is to get dirty but it's been sat on a shelf for two years, it is time..

£200 for that is a bargain! Well haggled.
The Granite is a much better car than the Carnage.
Just remember to take it easy to begin with, if it does do a genuine 50mph than that is going to be a lot faster than you think.

As for cleaning I use an air compressor whilst the cars are still wet from being out and blow them down. Afterwards I cover everything under the body shell in WD40. They look like brand new again. Leave the cars 24hrs and the WD40 soaks into the plastics and they feel dry to the touch. Also helps keep the plastics supple so they are less likely to break in a crash or jump.

Don
£200 for that is a bargain! Well haggled.
The Granite is a much better car than the Carnage.
Just remember to take it easy to begin with, if it does do a genuine 50mph than that is going to be a lot faster than you think.

As for cleaning I use an air compressor whilst the cars are still wet from being out and blow them down. Afterwards I cover everything under the body shell in WD40. They look like brand new again. Leave the cars 24hrs and the WD40 soaks into the plastics and they feel dry to the touch. Also helps keep the plastics supple so they are less likely to break in a crash or jump.

Thanks. Done as advised!

The Lunchbox still has a battery issue so that didn’t run unfortunately, not sure if to change the Tamiya connectors so I can use my spare battery or just buy a new battery for it?

The Granite is great fun, by my kids school there is a big grass field and a tiny skate park. The grass was pretty long and wet and it handled it fine. I bashed it around the skate park, it ended on its roof a plenty! I think the shocks need some tinkering or replacing, was bouncing all over the shop after a jump, of course it might just be my driving...

I’ll stick some vids up after editing them, it was quite funny switching to the top speed on the radio, the thing is mental.

The only issue I had was after a while the truck seemingly running out of battery but after turning it off and on it seemed to run fine again. Not sure why, did it a couple of times.

Associate
Thanks. Done as advised!

The Lunchbox still has a battery issue so that didn’t run unfortunately, not sure if to change the Tamiya connectors so I can use my spare battery or just buy a new battery for it?

The Granite is great fun, by my kids school there is a big grass field and a tiny skate park. The grass was pretty long and wet and it handled it fine. I bashed it around the skate park, it ended on its roof a plenty! I think the shocks need some tinkering or replacing, was bouncing all over the shop after a jump, of course it might just be my driving...

I’ll stick some vids up after editing them, it was quite funny switching to the top speed on the radio, the thing is mental.

The only issue I had was after a while the truck seemingly running out of battery but after turning it off and on it seemed to run fine again. Not sure why, did it a couple of times.

It shouldn't be bouncing after landing jumps, it's not you.
Maybe the shock oil has leaked out? This youtuber Pat has the Granite and here's his video on the shocks: https://youtu.be/vGaGyu3ECto
Maybe try some thicker shock oil, someone in the comments of another one of pat's videos mentions they used 100wt shock oil.

The car cutting out could be the low voltage cut out to protect the batteries. Lipo batteries should not be run completely flat like a Nimh battery. If you are new to Lipo batteries then read up on the do's and don'ts such as not charging them in your home etc...

Don
It shouldn't be bouncing after landing jumps, it's not you.
Maybe the shock oil has leaked out? This youtuber Pat has the Granite and here's his video on the shocks: https://youtu.be/vGaGyu3ECto
Maybe try some thicker shock oil, someone in the comments of another one of pat's videos mentions they used 100wt shock oil.

The car cutting out could be the low voltage cut out to protect the batteries. Lipo batteries should not be run completely flat like a Nimh battery. If you are new to Lipo batteries then read up on the do's and don'ts such as not charging them in your home etc...

Cheers. Having looked back at the videos maybe it’s just the way it’s landing. Like I said I’ll upload and let you cast your opinion.

I’ll read up about the batteries. I had some knowledge of them and charged it outside, it did come with a fireproof bag for what it’s worth! I didn’t know if something was getting wet or overheating hence needing to be switched off and on but sounds more likely to be your suggestion.

Soldato
@Andybtsn - you got a great deal there !!

It wasn't so good today for us.
I took my son to a park to have a play around with his car and for me to test out the Revo.

So we are in a massive field, 5 mins in I've stopped the Revo to take some photos and he drives his car at full speed into the side of the Revo breaking the top and bottom chassis of his car.

He was upset but I said it's an easy replacement and let him go with the Revo.
After a while he's getting a bit more confident so is using more power, but after a few mins he drives the Revo into the back of his broken car on the floor, smashing up the rear suspension.

oops :p

Some repair work to do here :(
The Revo is fine :)

49322079923_ea04807583_b.jpg

49322785802_5e93e8a90e_b.jpg

49322785762_1d021f756c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Don
Oh goodness! Well he will live and learn, I’m sure the long term fun is fixing and replacing. I was letting my four year old use the Granite but was petrified of him doing something similar so stood close by, there was a point he was driving straight towards the little club house but he managed to stop just in time. This is all set to low speed so probably wouldn’t do much damage, he’s a few years away from running on full speed, even I was struggling with that!

Soldato
The spare part prices are cheap - probably only about £20-£30 worth of damage so nothing too major. Plus it will give him an understanding of how the parts go together and work.

Associate
What do you guys do with your lipos after use? Do you charge/discharge to a storage state?
It should have a storage charge option on the charger.
Don't leave them more than 24hrs with charge in them as it's not healthy.
It can take a while depending on how much power is left in them. Discharging is usually at only 1 amp so a lot slower than charging.

Back
Top Bottom