RC cars

Soldato
Thanks! Drx ve, orion r10 went pop.

Lookimg at a hobbywing ezrun mac10 120a, plus 3200kv motor combo.

If I replaced my motor and esc would I need to re think my pinion size? Stock motor is a 2400kv.

Running 3s.
the motor should still be fine unless you can see any damage. 3200KV would be for a smaller, lighter such as 1/10 and the DRX is 1/9 scale don't know if it would have the torque and would probably get very hot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywin...064353?hash=item23a14d78e1:g:A0EAAOSwgc1ar8sx seems decent enough or if you can wait plenty on Hobbyking.

Caporegime
the motor should still be fine unless you can see any damage. 3200KV would be for a smaller, lighter such as 1/10 and the DRX is 1/9 scale don't know if it would have the torque and would probably get very hot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywin...064353?hash=item23a14d78e1:g:A0EAAOSwgc1ar8sx seems decent enough or if you can wait plenty on Hobbyking.

I see thanks for that! Any benefit if the sc8 vs the max10 120a?

The reason I'm looking at the combo is I've seen a deal inc programming car. Worst I could sell the motor off and keep the ezrun max10 120a with card would work out about 50 quid ish.

Soldato
I see thanks for that! Any benefit if the sc8 vs the max10 120a?

The reason I'm looking at the combo is I've seen a deal inc programming car. Worst I could sell the motor off and keep the ezrun max10 120a with card would work out about 50 quid ish.
Both pretty similar but one is waterproof.

Programming ESCs is pretty easy just using the button on the device you just have to follow the beeps/flashes and most times the default setup is fine.

Soldato
Hi,

Could you spec me an RC car please, I'm a noob, not looking for anything too specific, off road buggy looking thing maybe.

Lithium battery, and one that uses a generic battery if possible, so you can easily buy replacements. In fact thats a bit of a must, I've got some older £50 ones that use NiMH batteries that are car specific and the batteries have all died, rendering the cars useless, and I have battery modded some of them but looking for something more modern now.

Budget £100-£150 maybe.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
This a good one for a begginer?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-outlaw-1-10-4wd-ultra-4-rtr-buggy-brushed/rc-car-products/406356

Looking to get into this after playing around with some Nikko kids toys basically, I know brushless are better but some youtube etc are saying the brushless motor version the motor itself it almost too much for the car. Plus I am not fussed if it doesnt go 50mph.

I mainly want one that you can use a generic battery for, lithium S2 or S3 batteries I have heard being mentioned? I think they come with a relatively universal socket? I dont want a car where you are locked into a car specific battery.

The idea of that appeals as the cars I have, the Nikko nimh batteries died from age which effectively kills the car, although I did battery mod one with 2x lithium 18650 cells, which did actually work, they are still like 10 year old £30 kids toys though just with a better retrofitted battery.

EDIT: or this: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-ca...s-truggy-rtr-waterproof/rc-car-products/40397

Comes with a lithium battery and charger already, that one is brushless.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tamiya announced a re-release of some retro R/C kits yesterday. Think I'm going to pickup the Thunder Dragon, as it's a car I received when I was a kid in 1989 for Christmas and it was my first proper R/C car.

Full release list and details here: https://www.tamiya.com/japan/featuredreleases_early2021.html

50876667073_3383b0084f_o.jpg

Soldato

Sorry I completely missed this post yesterday. Thank you for that, in the end I went for the FTX Outlaw Brushless.

It was a close call but I really didn't like the idea of that plastic shell on the Carnage, one YouTube vid said he'd been running it all of 2 minutes and wheelied the car catching the plastic on the road and completely shredding it. Anothee basically the same.

Now the outlaw, possibly not as refined or easy to drive, plus it's almost a given you'll need to replace the plastic drive shaft, but, it seems to take more of a beating if you roll it etc.

Plus it looks way cooler.

I'll let you know how I get on should arrive tomorrow.

Soldato
Sorry I completely missed this post yesterday. Thank you for that, in the end I went for the FTX Outlaw Brushless.

It was a close call but I really didn't like the idea of that plastic shell on the Carnage, one YouTube vid said he'd been running it all of 2 minutes and wheelied the car catching the plastic on the road and completely shredding it. Anothee basically the same.

Now the outlaw, possibly not as refined or easy to drive, plus it's almost a given you'll need to replace the plastic drive shaft, but, it seems to take more of a beating if you roll it etc.

Plus it looks way cooler.

I'll let you know how I get on should arrive tomorrow.

kool hope you have fun with it :)

Caporegime
Is there an RC car which is virtually indestructible?

I remember I had one which was essentially 4 large wheels with a thin chassis in the middle so if it flipped over it could just keep going.

If you rammed into anything it was essentially the tyres hitting it and just bounced back off it.

Is there a better equivalent of that today?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085Q1R...mm_t1_dlT3_iebeGbDK6HJ00?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It was like that but much better probably cost around £80-£120 from Argos back in the 90's

Soldato
Is there an RC car which is virtually indestructible?

I remember I had one which was essentially 4 large wheels with a thin chassis in the middle so if it flipped over it could just keep going.

If you rammed into anything it was essentially the tyres hitting it and just bounced back off it.

Is there a better equivalent of that today?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085Q1R...mm_t1_dlT3_iebeGbDK6HJ00?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It was like that but much better probably cost around £80-£120 from Argos back in the 90's

was it a tyco rebound you had?

Soldato
no idea if there is any thing decent and similar :(

on another note i broke my lunch box twice yesterday in the garden, i hit the wheelie bin and sheared of the spline part of the servo, after i fixed that by upgrading the servo with a metal geared one i hit the bin again and snapped the servo saver lol

VeSHZqM.jpg

9VTUXuc.jpg

the motor packed up on my scx24 c10 on sunday but i was lucky and had a spare one :)

Associate
20210121-125542.jpg

After having a Grasshopper when I was 14, then a secondhand Tamiya 306 briefly at uni, I got the hankering after a friend received a Tamiya Defender as a gift.
Slightly disappointingly it didn't take long at all to assemble, but cutting the shell, trimming the stickers etc took far longer and was quite relaxing!

Of course I don't think I can ever actually use it now, it looks too nice!

Edit: oh yes sorry, it's a Tamiya Unimog!

Back
Top Bottom