RC Planes

Soldato
Finally maidened my bixler 2. It was very windy so a bit of fun flying, i was ramping up the throttle but heading in to the wind so i tpok a loot of juice.
Even on low rates i still found myself in some sticky situation

Also i cant really hand launch in low rates. Has to be mid rates then switch to low. Hand launching is not easy, but getting it slowely

Last edited:
Soldato
just use one rate (that is recommended in manual), some exponential if you want.

Full open throttle, launch with left hand whilst right hand ready on stick to control elevator and aileron.

Transmission breaker
Don
I swear you must have something wrong!
With the bixler (its such a predicable and easy to fly model) I right hand launch with full throttle and have plenty of time to drop my hands back to the sticks with out any issue. I never use expo or rates for any of my models.
I wear a TX strap which always helps for hand launching too.
If you cannot launch the model in a straight line and have 2-3 seconds to get control it must be trimmed like a dog?!

Transmission breaker
Don
Im just not used to flying planes thata all.

Practise is all i need :) its in the air though

Thats fair enough, but why mess with expo and rates when you are learning? It's just added complexity for no real gain.

Once you have some more experience and can use your own finger moderation to control, then you can look into sport flying/3D and play with them as much as you like.

Soldato
Because i dont want to learn on high rates ( max control throws) may aswel utilise a 3 way switch that way i can select what rate i want.

Im learning on low rates. Less control throw movement

Cant remember if anyone has the bixler 2 here, if you have, have you mounted motor inside or using an external motor mount

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep but then you have to mess about if you want to adjust them when you can use a switch if you want to change :)

Yeh i have mine in the original mount inside

Didnt know on preference

Soldato
seriously, like malt vinegar has said and me before. just learn to fly it on normal set up then play with all the settings to your heart content.

I have so many models in my garage, 99% of them are just set up pretty much standard. They fly fine. bit of trimming here and there. But all this mixing, switches etc. Just adds more complexity that you may not need to be using at the moment.

Associate
The controls wont be massively powerful on the Blixer, remember your thumbs are also proportional ;)

With that said rates are very useful, depending on how much throw you have in the first place. I've flown with people who have an uncontrollable low amount of throw on low rate on their first flights, almost as dangerous as too much!

Soldato
Just put through a battery. Much better at launching with my left hand now, getting confident on how it flies. Although I'm finding it hard to climb higher altitudes, iv got an upgraded motor so hoped it would help.

Don't get me wrong is very fast but I want to try and climb more. Getting used to control and had some not so bad landings. Had one heavy one which has put a crack on the front end. Its pretty much covered in crossweave tape anyway and ill see if I can add some gorilla glue.

The Velcro mod for the wings is annoying me a little as the sticky side of Velcro that I stick to wings keeps unbonding.

Will find a solution but I'm loving the flying. No fpv or anything I have that on my quad I'm learning los with this at the moment

Soldato
more batteries through it. Getting more used to thermals etc. Confident with controls :) had a bit of a bad ditch, it happens, I was coming out of a loop and misjudged a tiny bit, the nose is buggered, motor dislodged. But all good will pick up a new one cheap or I may try and fix this one

I am finding picking up flying this thing line of sight pretty well

Also got some mobius cam footage from todays 250 quad and bixler 2 flying

bixler2.jpg

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
me163.jpg

Put this together to stick in the boot of the car for when I get the odd opportune moment to have a bit of a play :)

Just using 1300 3 cell packs but I have a 2200 pack if flight times are a bit pants.

might have to get some 4 cell packs if it's flying too slowly for my liking. It should be a bit of a screamer with that configuration.

No maiden yet. Waiting for a break in the weather :D

looking forward to trying the scale dolly drop wheels!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I know I asked this before, can't remember the reply.
But been having another look at parts and god the prices have fallen.

Is there anything difficult/special about building a motor rotor plane and balancing the motors? Been looking at youtube videos and they don't seem to do anything in particular. You need special ESC?

Winfoil seems to be good to get aerofoil plans.

Transmission breaker
Don
Just ordered a load of foam board to try some of the quick build flite test stuff.
Going to start with a Spitfire.
Not got my me163 flying yet, weather is just not playing ball yet. Not sure flying such a dynamic model in high winds is a good idea for a maiden flight!

Soldato
A mate has the FT Spitfire (bought from them as the kit setup), really nice plane although he kept breaking props with the belly landing, like every time :p Took a fair bit of abuse and was still flyable even when it was clearly 'crabbing' through the air, was amusing.

I've only managed to get out once this year, combination of weather and being busy, but did get to fly my Teksumo, that was good fun and a nice step up from my old Floater Jet :)

Transmission breaker
Don
Tried to fly the durafly (shown above) today, and made a bit of an error, i set the control horns to max throw, and with such large control surfaces it was VERY twitchy, 2-mm on the stick and it was barrel rolling!
Broke a prop on "landing" (if you can call it that!), so feeling a bit stupid, it lifted off so serenely I just didn't think the controls would be so twitchy!
Still, new props on order, and will have another go as the cricketers have nicely mown my runway for me take offs should be much easier. I think flying at 3 cell should be fine, it seems to have adequate performance.

Back
Top Bottom