RC Planes

Soldato
Tried to fly the durafly (shown above) today, and made a bit of an error, i set the control horns to max throw, and with such large control surfaces it was VERY twitchy, 2-mm on the stick and it was barrel rolling!
Broke a prop on "landing" (if you can call it that!), so feeling a bit stupid, it lifted off so serenely I just didn't think the controls would be so twitchy!
Still, new props on order, and will have another go as the cricketers have nicely mown my runway for me take offs should be much easier. I think flying at 3 cell should be fine, it seems to have adequate performance.

check the manual for recommended rates, perhaps try some expo as well.

should hardly need any movement that model on control surfaces.

Transmission breaker
Don
Yup, flew it just now on the way back from voting, and with reduced throws, a bit of up trimmed in, it flew like a stabbed rat on a 3 cell.
I folded over one of the bogey wheels and lost the split ring that holds it on, so did some hand launches, and it just eases off with the nose high and powers away. Its a shame I only got to do a single run out on the gear, and never got to drop them off in flight.

Limpnoodle, yes, the wheels are drop-able, controlled by a 5th servo, and a magnet. So once airborne, it will allow you to get rid of them to increase speed.

Landings are FAST, even dead-stick holding the nose up. I didn't try to go too slow till I learn the stall characteristics, but it lands true enough on the skid at speed. Just need to make sure you get the approach right, or it will mean going around with the speed it carries.

I will give it a few more flights in a larger space with the 3 cell before I stick a 4 cell in it. Its really too hot a model for the local cricket pitch, so I shall refrain till I can find a local club or just a friendly farmer!

Rolling is epic, sharp, and it really snaps out when asked. Chuffed!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Just ordered a load of foam board to try some of the quick build flite test stuff.
Going to start with a Spitfire.
Not got my me163 flying yet, weather is just not playing ball yet. Not sure flying such a dynamic model in high winds is a good idea for a maiden flight!

Where have you bought the foam from? I want to try similar. Will be interesting to know your thoughts on it for building the FT plans (assuming you are).

Transmission breaker
Don
Yup, already dialled some in, might stick in a bit more and and see how it handles, but even a little more from the trim tabs and it starts to climb and approach a stall.
I might look at moving the c of g.

Transmission breaker
Don
Where have you bought the foam from? I want to try similar. Will be interesting to know your thoughts on it for building the FT plans (assuming you are).

Ordered it from Amazon, but the sheets are too small to do anything from the flitetest plans. So will knock up some profile gliders to launch from my bixler.
I quickly knocked up and added small release mechanism for handheld gliders on the top of the canopy. Now I can launch my son's little gliders off at altitude for him to chase:D

Transmission breaker
Don
Managed to get back to the spot where I first saw an RC model up close over 20 years ago. It was a beautifully made slope soarer and it was just riding the uplift from the cliffs.

It was what made me want to fly RC :) Always wanted to go back and do it myself!

So was on a family holiday nearby, could not resist lobbing the bixler out for a quick soar! Didn't have space in the car for a proper glider. But the bixler did a great job :D

Mrs was there with the little ones and actually recorded me, didn't realise at the time!

http://maltopia.co.uk/launch.mp4

Also, there was much less landing space than I anticipated and foot traffic and wind made a landing along the cliffs quite hard.
So I opted to try and do a cool catch with my back to the cliffs and not a lot of margin for error! Almost pulled it off :D
http://maltopia.co.uk/landing.mp4

Transmission breaker
Don
radjet.jpg

Just finished this today. Might get a chance to fly it tomorrow.

Small enough to live in the boot for when the opportunity arises to fly when out and about with work :D

Associate
I've got a nitro powered trainer that I flew briefly as a teenager years back, been meaning to learn to fly it again but I'm thinking of starting off with a cheaper/disposable plane as the trainer isn't really suited for heavy landings.

What's out there that you can put some servos etc in and have a bit of fun with without worrying about cost?

Our garden backs onto a farm so a quick word with the farmer should be enough for me to have a bit of airspace.

Transmission breaker
Don
Bixler
They have PNF versions on hobbyking.
You can re gear up with Digital gear, get a couple of lipo packs with a lipo charger for about £100.
May even be cheaper now!
Bixler is a really dependable platform, good for FPV later and has really sweet flight characteristics.
Just double up the main spar if you want to do acro with it. My v2 bixler was quite flexible pulling out hard of a dive and was flapping a bit.
I just glued in another smaller carbon spar in the hollow standard one and it was totally rigid.

Associate
I've got a nitro powered trainer that I flew briefly as a teenager years back, been meaning to learn to fly it again but I'm thinking of starting off with a cheaper/disposable plane as the trainer isn't really suited for heavy landings.

What's out there that you can put some servos etc in and have a bit of fun with without worrying about cost?

Our garden backs onto a farm so a quick word with the farmer should be enough for me to have a bit of airspace.

Depending on how many years ago you got that, I reckon you'd be best of with something electric in either case. Starting the nitro's can be a pain at times and if you ever wanted to become a member of a club, it can also limit the times you can fly (due to noise). There's some great foam aircraft out there at the moment!

Associate
I stripped it down a few months ago and its fairly easy to start but wverything that goes with it is a pain and I'm not sure how long the fuel lasts.

The radio gear still works fine, however the reciever only controls servos so not sure if it would control an electric motor.

Will look into the bixler and see what I can get to work on a budget.

Associate
I used to go to a local park called Hanworth Air Park on a Sunday morning and watch a local club flying. One Indian guy has this massive (probably on the legal limit size wise), big red low wing Russian aircraft, looked like it would have been some sort of training aircraft from around WW2. Sounded awesome when it flew by.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom