Re-Installing Loft Flooring and Fixing the Errors of the Past

It also got a bit wrecked when taking the nails out, especially when the damn head break off. Then I have to dig them out with the multi-tool. I swear this has happens in about 1 in every 5 nail.

I get nails out like that with a Priory PRI150 nail puller as it doesn't even need the head on the nail. The speed you can remove nails from floorboards with these is impressive once you get the knack perfected.

I did think about it because it would make an awesome space but the cost of it was prohibitive, somewhere between £50k to £100k. It probably wouldn't add anything to the value of the house either.

If you do it yourself it's about 15k for "storage room"

The 50-100k would be for a proper conversion room maybe even a dormer.

A lot of what I see in yours i have seen in other properties even from house builders back in 70s.

:eek: that seems expensive for a nail remover ,to me anyway

It is but then no other nail puller I've tried comes anywhere to this one in ability or speed.

After taking up floors in my last 4 homes the time saved makes it more than worth it plus not damaging boards if going to be re-used and clean removal makes old nail holes perfect for screws.

been there done that!;)

problem is you can pop nails or even drop a plasterboard or lath and plaster in some cases:(

Even with a Priory style puller for some nails that are a bit below the surface you need to use its built in hammer/extension arm to get a good grip and that can cause nail pops below. However its usually one thump so less banging than hammering nails in.

I'd assumed he was jemmying the boards ... so would mainly get them from behind ... but, on reflection, did i see a jemmy.
I normally put biggest screwdriver over some kind of fulcrum ... another screwdriver

e: thought these were interesting
(yes - no air gap)

Last edited:
A lift conversion keeps coming up on my to do list. Usually when I've been stupid and bought to much crap I need to then store in the loft! Which then annoys me as i can't need it if it goes in the loft but it would be ideal for winter / summer clothes and suit cases etc. We just store them on top of cupboards for now.

I was looking into the loft-e leg system as the beams in our loft are about 90 years old and are definitely not even! Will look into the one mentioned here as well.

I get nails out like that with a Priory PRI150 nail puller as it doesn't even need the head on the nail. The speed you can remove nails from floorboards with these is impressive once you get the knack perfected.

That's a nice bit of kit and I did see it when looking for a nail puller. I probably should have got it as it would have saved me from cutting in to the board when the heads broke! Instead I went for this DeWalt tool:

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr2kc1F2-dsqGMh2k

It has hollow end that you put over the nail that's below the surface and hammer you down to expose the head. It's alright, but after a while I found myself just using the short claw end and digging down while hammering but makes a right mess of the board. As mentioned before sometimes the head of the nails break.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr2GFDC8_u2WymTAf

That's where a traditional pinch type nail remover would have been better. I'll admit that once the board was up any remaining nails in the joist were cut down with the multitool and the rest left in the joist!

I'd assumed he was jemmying the boards ... so would mainly get them from behind ... but, on reflection, did i see a jemmy.
I normally put biggest screwdriver over some kind of fulcrum ... another screwdriver

e: thought these were interesting
(yes - no air gap)

Jemmying a long run of nailed and heavy T&G boards would have been fun :D. Once the nails were out the boards were jemmied to break the tongue and grove and get the boards up. Sometimes I'd cut along the joints with the multitool or circular saw for the stubborn ones; when you know you're not reusing the boards you can be as destructive as you want to be :D.

Obviously haven't discovered just mashing them back in :cry:

been there done that!;)

problem is you can pop nails or even drop a plasterboard or lath and plaster in some cases:(

Popped nails and cracks in the ceiling underneath were inevitable but I wanted to minimise the damage. That's the reason why I used a combi-drill on a low torque setting to drive the screws of the legs in to the joists rather than use an impact driver. There is some damage to the ceilings underneath but most of it existing before :cry:.

I've been a bit on and off with this over the weekend but have some progress and plenty of images. Words are of course optional ;).

I went a bit MacGyver and fabricated a tool from extension poles, a tree felling wedge and plenty of duct tape so that I could reach the eaves to clear the soffits of insulation. I really didn't want to clear or crawl over all that insulation! Worked a treat :).

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr24_V80uTU-Muj1T

The MacGyver'ing continues - ripped a length of old board to make my Stick Of Support. Obligatory power tool image :D. I'm such a Makita tart.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr299uV-tu85wnfFy

First few uni-supports in their place.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr234GXz7ICIpW6a-

Then ran a datum line (using strimmer line pulled taught as I'd ran out of string!) and the tri-supports in place, the Stick Of Support guiding the way.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr3CPT6Qp7fKLyX7l

Then some more supports and then crossbeams fitted.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr3G06YII8gaSIPkw

Next section, skipping the uni-supports as these can be placed under the crossbeams later, saves marking out all the joists.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr3K3upWN5tgI4cNH

Some more crossbeams fitted...

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr3NvBI1yN0l2lI4J

...and some more.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr3RjdggLc8FgrXng

The previously compressed insulation is really starting to lift now.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr3UTOkyd96pcV4NX

Taking of insulation....

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr3bbNFp1vXn6inoj

The part nobody likes. One roll down.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr3cNdthCvATnDFRq

This insulation has cuts semi-made so makes placement over the crossbeams a lot easier.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr3gk15XHHUCLVDRN

The third roll of insulation down.

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1Qr3nrSrk8K5SSv1QN

That's half of the loft done like this but I'll be putting the boards that this section first before moving on.

It's pretty easy stuff, just takes time and feeling like Tarzan going from one truss to another keeping your feet on the joists.

Itchy.

Can you come and do my loft next please!

I'm scared to do any work in it as I think i'll find some nasty suprises (probably worse than your wiring being held down with a screw). Looks like you're doing a proper job of it now though - nicely done.

That looks like the , maybe 1" piece of polystyrene I have on the hatch door, but, it's only a few percent of loft area;

doesn't the balustrade mean everything boxes & yourself has to shift sideways at top of steps, I guess stairs on the opposite side would be dangerous for whatever is beneath.

would be interesting to look at stats for loft access accidents - I know my relations have had falls, their house footwear doesn't help

Back
Top Bottom