• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reality check, are AMD just as bad as Nvidia.

Associate
I don't agree with either of you :p

His expectations are super unrealistic and will never happen.

You are on the opposite side of the spectrum almost suggesting people should be bending over and taking these silly prices with a smile on their face.

How about somewhere in the middle?

Let them charge silly money for their halo card. But the cards below that should be priced properly for normal folke.
I did go the middle road and nab a 7900xt for a reasonable £670 a while back. I don’t endorse spending a mortgage on a GPU which is not essential for life.

Associate
Neah, just the basic one. But it would be nice to have a mod that have an alive economy, with NPC trading and caravans, somewhat realistic patrols and responds to crime, etc :D
Probably Living Skyrim or similar. Wildlander is nice and polished (has it's own installer and launcher) but sticks mainly with re-balancing and less world changes. Still I had fun playing Wildlander for a bit mostly hanging around in Riverwood doing minor tasks, some alchemy and running away from most creatures never mind bandits!
Let them charge silly money for their halo card. But the cards below that should be priced properly for normal folke.
Exactly, halo is halo so mostly* not relevant.

The halo cards get plenty of coverage and do promote the others. And Nvidia certainly know this.

That chart I made using the other day mostly shows the problem:
QePGjHB.png

(Now updated with Pascal too - further back would be interesting but harder to get the figures.)

The halo card are still mostly getting decent gains (Turing was the obvious exception to everything), but the x60 and x70 tiers have stagnated.
Rather suspect the chart doesn't tell the whole story as all I did was take the GPU Check figures and give them a class tag, so things like 2060 and 2060 Super and 3070 and 3070 Ti distort things - actually those two are almost the opposite where with Turing the initial was worse value and the refresh was somewhat better value, whereas with Ampere the refreshes were "pre-scalped by Nvidia for your convenience"!

* Yes, I get @CAT-THE-FIFTH point that Titans and other über-halo cards were always going to and have lead to these prices. That is the "I am so worth it" cards eventually ruined PC gaming for others.

EDIT: added the bit in italics to the Turing comparison so it makes sense!

Last edited:
Soldato
* Yes, I get @CAT-THE-FIFTH point that Titans and other über-halo cards were always going to and have lead to these prices. That is the "I am so worth it" cards eventually ruined PC gaming for others.

Because unlike something like cars,many computing parts like smartphones and dGPUs seem to be priced relative to the high end. So raising the high end price,its quite obvious is as much as making a quick buck as raising the entry level price or diluting price/performance. This is because companies release many "filler" models in-between to justify the large price bands instead of just having normal pricing and then one big price gap for the "luxury" models. This is what many of us said would happen,and as mainstream gamers are more price sensitive,ie,more fixed budgets you are getting relatively worse and worse products now.

Something like a Ferrari SF90 as an example,has no effect on the price of the Fiat 500,despite them being the same company. But the difference between the most expensive Fiat and a Ferrari is big.

Last edited:
Associate
The GTX 1080 could have been bought for less that £550 from aib partners. Yet Nvidia's outrageous and scandalous practices brainwashed so many people in this very thread into thinking £649 for a 3080 Fe was a "bargain".

Nvidia got you all hook line and sinker.
It was bargain because mining ;)
Those who didn’t do it missed out big time.

Associate
Ah, taking out Ti and Super for '60 and '70 class cards gets me something like this:
Vf0jPqE.png

Which is a lot closer to what we intuitively expect to see: stagnation and regression below the halo card.

Pity the 3060 Ti didn't make it as comparing it to the 4060 Ti would have been interesting (it's roughly 6% better in perf/$) but with names not consistent across generations that model is a bit tricky. I do have the die names too, so could 102/104/106/107 comparisons - we already know that for Ada the perf / die or die area is good but Nvidia have just renamed

Soldato
The GTX 1080 could have been bought for less that £550 from aib partners. Yet Nvidia's outrageous and scandalous practices brainwashed so many people in this very thread into thinking £649 for a 3080 Fe was a "bargain".

Nvidia got you all hook line and sinker.

Different chips, gtx1080 was actually overpriced! :))

gtx1080 was GP104-400-A1 only 314 mm² for 599 USD

rtx3060ti was GA104-200-A1, 392 mm² for 399 USD

rtx 3080 was GA102-200-KD-A1, 628 mm² for 699 USD

1080ti was GP102-350-K1-A1, 471 mm², 699 USD

So 1080 was a bit less than 3060ti in die size, way more expensive. More or less that's the direct competitor based on chip designation. It was just priced as a higher tear chip since AMD wasn't really competitive - a bit like it is now.
3080 was a lot bigger, even compared to 1080ti, for the same price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom