• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reality check, are AMD just as bad as Nvidia.

Soldato
You say that as if there is anything reasonable about this situation.

There is an upgrade path for someone who owns a 2070S, this is 56% faster than my card, did Steve say anything about that?

So why haven't you bought a 6800xt then? I thought you said you had to have AV1

Btw I found a bunch of people on other sites complaining that AV1 recording quality isn't as good as other codecs with a higher bitrate. So your current recording formats may result in large files but they may be better quality anyway. AV1 seems to be good for streaming but recording is a different matter, so perhaps you should stick to not using AV1 if you aren't streaming

Last edited:
Soldato
Tsmc 3nm is yields are still quite bad so not sure when nvidia and amd can make the switch. I guess amd will focus on cost and use 4nm and 5nm instead. Nvidia will want 3nm but yeah it's not great at this stage, who knows what it looks like next year

As for those 3nm yields, tsmc is only getting a yield of 50% while manufacturing Apple's upcoming tiny A17 SoC. The yields are bad enough that Apple has now told Tsmc it no longer wants to pay per wafer and wants to only pay for working chips otherwise the cost is ridiculous. The cost per wafer is about $20k USD

Side note to this. Samsung has jumped on the news that tsmc is stuck at 50% yields for 3nm and Samsung is happy to announce it has 60% yields for its 3nm GAA process

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Side note to this. Samsung has jumped on the news that tsmc is stuck at 50% yields for 3nm and Samsung is happy to announce it has 60% yields for its 3nm GAA process

Are they comparable though? Each company seems to have different marketing names.

Would be good if they are as I don't like the idea of tsmc being far ahead.

1stly they (tsmc) charge more as a result.
2ndly there end up being more demand for it and less space for AMD and Nvidia to both use them so one gets stuck on a older node.
3rdly AMD or Nvidia cannot negotiate a good price per wafer.

4thly all the above essentially leads to same thing :p:cry:

Soldato
You say that as if there is anything reasonable about this situation.

There is an upgrade path for someone who owns a 2070S, this is 56% faster than my card, did Steve say anything about that?

He said you should have got a 3080 nearly 3 years ago instead of a 4070 now for almost the same money and performance and if you didn’t buy 3080/6800XT back then you should probably wait till next gen when there will be a more meaningful uplift.

Soldato
Soldato
The GTX 1080 could have been bought for less that £550 from aib partners. Yet Nvidia's outrageous and scandalous practices brainwashed so many people in this very thread into thinking £649 for a 3080 Fe was a "bargain".

Nvidia got you all hook line and sinker.

Associate
The GTX 1080 could have been bought for less that £550 from aib partners. Yet Nvidia's outrageous and scandalous practices brainwashed so many people in this very thread into thinking £649 for a 3080 Fe was a "bargain".

Nvidia got you all hook line and sinker.
That £649 is a bargain compared to 4080 FE pricing of £1150....

Associate
and £1150 would be a bargain if 5080 FE costs £2,200. Then £2,200 would be a bargain if 6080 FE costs £4,300.

I don't agree with that mindset.
This lamenting about prices has to stop somewhere, I don't think any company cares Nvidia nor AMD as they have plenty of buyers at the prices they want to sell for- they don't care about budget gamers or even mid range anymore. All they want to sell is the halo cards for high margins.

Basically if you see a price/performance point you can afford then go for it and enjoy!

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This lamenting about prices has to stop somewhere, I don't think any company cares Nvidia nor AMD as they have plenty of buyers at the prices they want to sell for- they don't care about budget gamers or even mid range anymore. All they want to sell is the halo cards for high margins.

Basically if you see a price/performance point you can afford then go for it and enjoy!

I don't agree with either of you :p

His expectations are super unrealistic and will never happen.

You are on the opposite side of the spectrum almost suggesting people should be bending over and taking these silly prices with a smile on their face.

How about somewhere in the middle?

Let them charge silly money for their halo card. But the cards below that should be priced properly for normal folke.

Back
Top Bottom